Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So most of us know by now that if ResumeSpeed says something, it's 95% likely to be true, and he says a 426 is coming for the 2020 MY Challenger. But, aside from that, do we know anything beyond the fact that it's coming? I'm curious to know which Challenger trim levels the upcoming 426 will be available in and if it will be available beyond just the 2020 model year. I'm also curious to know if it's coming with any upgrades besides a larger bore and stroke?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Right now it's all quiet on the Western front regarding the '19s. Word is that the 426 will go in the SRT replacing the 392.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now it's all quiet on the Western front regarding the '19s. Word is that the 426 will go in the SRT replacing the 392.
Wonder if they'll be keeping around the 392 for the Scat Packs or if they'll halt production of the 392's altogether. I can't imagine they would since the Scat Pack has been a huge seller for Dodge, and if they're aiming to make the SRT trim attractive again, it would make sense to keep the 426 SRT exclusive. Which I don't have an issue with, I'd definitely buy one and plan to do so. I'll be in a position where I can when the time comes.

I just really, really hope we finally get an aluminum block and direct injection at some point. Idk how GM and Ford can make stout aluminum V8 blocks but Dodge can't.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I still say don't hold your breath. If a 426 is happening (with emphasis on "IF"), it's a few years away yet. And even then, there is still the high likelihood that it will be only in a special edition. That means high msrp, dealer markup through the roof, and maybe a limited production run. All of which will work to keep it stashed away in collector garages, out of the hands of the enthusiasts, away from race tracks, and the light of day.

I would LOVE to see the 426 offered in the R/T, as an affordable stripper performance variant with cloth seats, a good track-tuned bilstein suspension, minimal luxury features and an MSRP no higher than $60,000....but I don't count on it.

I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still say don't hold your breath. If a 426 is happening (with emphasis on "IF"), it's a few years away yet. And even then, there is still the high likelihood that it will be only in a special edition. That means high msrp, dealer markup through the roof, and maybe a limited production run. All of which will work to keep it stashed away in collector garages, out of the hands of the enthusiasts, away from race tracks, and the light of day.

I would LOVE to see the 426 offered in the R/T, as an affordable stripper performance variant with cloth seats, a good track-tuned bilstein suspension, minimal luxury features and an MSRP no higher than $60,000....but I don't count on it.

I hope I'm wrong.
I'm fairly sure you are wrong, RS has never been wrong before in any major way. Of course plans could change but it looks like it's still on for the time being. And I don't think Dodge is stupid enough to do what Chevy did with the Z28 Camaro, they know the effect of nostalgia and their consumer base's tastes, and will capitalize upon it as much as they can. Last I heard the 426 is to replace the 392. But that will likely keep the SRT trim unattractive to most buyers.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
My understanding is that the 426 will arrive for the 2020 50th anniversary model and may replace the 392 in SRT trim. My guess would be that the 392 will continue on in the Scat Pack with a slight hp bump, maybe to 500hp. There are going to be some changes (at least options and trim) for the 2019s but some of this may be released later on in the year. The Charger will be getting a slight refresh for '19 but nothing, other than the new raisin bran hood for the HC, has been leaked or released for the Challenger regarding a cosmetic and interior refresh for '19.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
So much for DODGE doing away with the V8's.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would love to see a 426 but it is going to be next to impossible to get a emission cert for it. It took them years to engineer the 392 for a cert and since then the certification has only become more restrictive.
An except from Torque News sum's it up!

A New NA 426
Finally, the rumor that I have the least confidence in is the return of the naturally aspirated 426 cubic inch Hemi. Introducing an engine of that size would pose a challenge for the engineering team in meeting emission standards in all 50 states and in the long run, it would likely only be a touch more powerful than the current 392 Hemi. It isn't like the new 426 would be anywhere close to overpowering the Hellcat, so it would be a mid-range engine. Figure that the 392 makes about 1.24 horsepower per cubic inch. At that rate, the 426 would make around 528 horsepower.

When you consider the cost of developing a new engine for road use, including emission testing, bringing a new naturally aspirated 426 would be pretty expensive and that cost would be transferred to the price of the cars with that engine. Without a big increase in power, the biggest advantage of the 426 would be the owners’ ability to say “I drive a modern 426 Hemi Challenger”, but they likely wouldn’t have much more power than a custom-tuned 392. In other words, it would like cost more than the current 392 models without a huge power increase, which would test the limits of how much people are willing to pay for an increase of 40 (or so) horsepower. The 392 models have sold so well because they are priced very well for a 485hp engine, to maintaining that value would be an important challenge for an all-new engine.

The most damning evidence against the rebirth of a naturally aspirated 426 Hemi is the fact that the same insiders who provided me with advance information on the Hellcat and Demon, as well as the widebody design and the V6 AWD model haven’t seen anything happening with a new 426. That means that it isn’t happening or it is better-guarded than any new engine or car in the modern era of the Chrysler team.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
My understanding is that the 426 will arrive for the 2020 50th anniversary model and may replace the 392 in SRT trim. My guess would be that the 392 will continue on in the Scat Pack with a slight hp bump, maybe to 500hp. There are going to be some changes (at least options and trim) for the 2019s but some of this may be released later on in the year. The Charger will be getting a slight refresh for '19 but nothing, other than the new raisin bran hood for the HC, has been leaked or released for the Challenger regarding a cosmetic and interior refresh for '19.
That sounds pretty KOOKY to me. IF the motor is little more than a stroked 392 that measures 426.

The most likely outcome..... and this could REALLY BUMP SALES across the board.......the 392 is completely GONE in favor of the new 426 in place across the line up EXACTLY as the 392 is today.

It's a little silly to think about how STRAIGHT UP NOSTALGIA might play out......it'll make very little sense to sell a new 392 for the 426 but I'd wager that a lot of current 392 owners just might trade "early" to get the new motor and no small number of people who'd been on the fence with a purchase of a new Challenger might just finally lean into it.

RETRO.......it'is what sells these cars. It's the part GM doesn't seem to really appreciate, Ford has forgotten with the 2015 restyle and it leaves only the Dodge Challenger capable of truly Capitalizing on it, IMO.

The 426 as a model specific small seller? Why? What possible DUMB AS WOOD reason could be behind that idea?

I believe that in the same way Chysler and Dodge has gone out of it's way to slap the word HEMI on everything it can.......they'll be no less aggressive with the 426 engine size. They'll want to offer it in as many places as they can. It's a really easy to exploit chance for big markup profit on every vehicle that is upgraded from the standard 5.7 liter V8.

If the 426 happens.......I bet you'll be able get in every Challenger and Charger where 392 is currently available for the extra coin they ask and I would be shocked if you can't also get it in a Ram truck and a Jeep too.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
That sounds pretty KOOKY to me. IF the motor is little more than a stroked 392 that measures 426.

The most likely outcome..... and this could REALLY BUMP SALES across the board.......the 392 is completely GONE in favor of the new 426 in place across the line up EXACTLY as the 392 is today.

It's a little silly to think about how STRAIGHT UP NOSTALGIA might play out......it'll make very little sense to sell a new 392 for the 426 but I'd wager that a lot of current 392 owners just might trade "early" to get the new motor and no small number of people who'd been on the fence with a purchase of a new Challenger might just finally lean into it.

RETRO.......it'is what sells these cars. It's the part GM doesn't seem to really appreciate, Ford has forgotten with the 2015 restyle and it leaves only the Dodge Challenger capable of truly Capitalizing on it, IMO.

The 426 as a model specific small seller? Why? What possible DUMB AS WOOD reason could be behind that idea?

I believe that in the same way Chysler and Dodge has gone out of it's way to slap the word HEMI on everything it can.......they'll be no less aggressive with the 426 engine size. They'll want to offer it in as many places as they can. It's a really easy to exploit chance for big markup profit on every vehicle that is upgraded from the standard 5.7 liter V8.

If the 426 happens.......I bet you'll be able get in every Challenger and Charger where 392 is currently available for the extra coin they ask and I would be shocked if you can't also get it in a Ram truck and a Jeep too.
That's not what I'm seeing. Anything is subject to change at any point but it appears that it will at least be [initially] released as an SRT model engine in place of the 392 for the Challenger

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
That's not what I'm seeing. Anything is subject to change at any point but it appears that it will at least be [initially] released as an SRT model engine in place of the 392 for the Challenger

It's hard to imagine how much MORE per car they'd have to charge to make more money on the idea of a 426 re-issue this way vs offering it across the line up of cars and trucks where-ever they can.

I still believe Dodge fully understands the Nostalgia around the original 426. They will want to Capitalize on that as fully as possible in the same way they plastered the word HEMI on just about everything they make with a V8 engine.

You and I might like the idea of the exclusivity but that isn't what "bumps" a manufacturer......maybe even more-so when the new parent isn't nearly so connected to the original idea that became an ICON of American muscle.

Fiat/Chrysler will be looking to make as much money on it as it can, I'm sure. Unless you can tell me you have actual insider information on this....I can't imagine what you're talking about actually happening as you suggest.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love to see a 426 but it is going to be next to impossible to get a emission cert for it. It took them years to engineer the 392 for a cert and since then the certification has only become more restrictive.
An except from Torque News sum's it up!

A New NA 426
Finally, the rumor that I have the least confidence in is the return of the naturally aspirated 426 cubic inch Hemi. Introducing an engine of that size would pose a challenge for the engineering team in meeting emission standards in all 50 states and in the long run, it would likely only be a touch more powerful than the current 392 Hemi. It isn't like the new 426 would be anywhere close to overpowering the Hellcat, so it would be a mid-range engine. Figure that the 392 makes about 1.24 horsepower per cubic inch. At that rate, the 426 would make around 528 horsepower.

When you consider the cost of developing a new engine for road use, including emission testing, bringing a new naturally aspirated 426 would be pretty expensive and that cost would be transferred to the price of the cars with that engine. Without a big increase in power, the biggest advantage of the 426 would be the owners’ ability to say “I drive a modern 426 Hemi Challenger”, but they likely wouldn’t have much more power than a custom-tuned 392. In other words, it would like cost more than the current 392 models without a huge power increase, which would test the limits of how much people are willing to pay for an increase of 40 (or so) horsepower. The 392 models have sold so well because they are priced very well for a 485hp engine, to maintaining that value would be an important challenge for an all-new engine.

The most damning evidence against the rebirth of a naturally aspirated 426 Hemi is the fact that the same insiders who provided me with advance information on the Hellcat and Demon, as well as the widebody design and the V6 AWD model haven’t seen anything happening with a new 426. That means that it isn’t happening or it is better-guarded than any new engine or car in the modern era of the Chrysler team.
I get all that, but they must have found a way to make it work in the engineering and financial departments. I can't think of when ResumeSpeed has been wrong before.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
If the SRT engineers can get the 840hp supercharged Demon engine to pass California Emissions while running on 100 octane fuel I'm gonna say the 426 will be a walk in the park.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the SRT engineers can get the 840hp supercharged Demon engine to pass California Emissions while running on 100 octane fuel I'm gonna say the 426 will be a walk in the park.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Agreed ^

·
Registered
216 Posts
Under no circumstances can I even begin to imagine bean counters signing off on a new 426 engine unless it is replacing the 392. Otherwise, it makes zero financial sense for the company to be burdened with the development costs and the ensuing losses it would take on that program.

The only way a 426 sees the light of day is if it sees applications in multiple vehicles. This already seems to have been confirmed by reports of a 426 to be used in the upcoming truck, and the mention that a new Viper is in development and will use an all aluminum V8.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Under no circumstances can I even begin to imagine bean counters signing off on a new 426 engine unless it is replacing the 392. Otherwise, it makes zero financial sense for the company to be burdened with the development costs and the ensuing losses it would take on that program.

The only way a 426 sees the light of day is if it sees applications in multiple vehicles. This already seems to have been confirmed by reports of a 426 to be used in the upcoming truck, and the mention that a new Viper is in development and will use an all aluminum V8.
You're probably right, it doesn't make financial sense to keep the 426 as an SRT exclusive for more than one model year (50th anniversary edition).

I'm fairly excited about that Viper rumor. Can you imagine a fire breathing NA aluminum V8 base model with a little more basic chassis and an available 8 speed priced a lot lower? It would be a prime competitor to the Corvette Stingray. But they should include the options in higher trim levels to put in either the old NA V10 or a Hellcat V8 and have a more race tuned and track focused chassis.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
It's hard to imagine how much MORE per car they'd have to charge to make more money on the idea of a 426 re-issue this way vs offering it across the line up of cars and trucks where-ever they can.

I still believe Dodge fully understands the Nostalgia around the original 426. They will want to Capitalize on that as fully as possible in the same way they plastered the word HEMI on just about everything they make with a V8 engine.

You and I might like the idea of the exclusivity but that isn't what "bumps" a manufacturer......maybe even more-so when the new parent isn't nearly so connected to the original idea that became an ICON of American muscle.

Fiat/Chrysler will be looking to make as much money on it as it can, I'm sure. Unless you can tell me you have actual insider information on this....I can't imagine what you're talking about actually happening as you suggest.
Me, personally, would prefer to see it offered in an R/T trim vs an SRT only application. Sounds like I won't get my wish, at least not right away.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts

Viper rumors are untrue; there is no new Viper being developed right now.

FYI, order banks for the '19 Challenger have been pushed back to June 29th.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts