Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am looking at buying a pre 2013 srt8 and was wondering if there is a year in there that might not be the best year to buy? Most cars have better years than others and was just looking for some good advice. ty for your imput

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
IMO it's not really any specific year as opposed to the flat out build quality on that given day, other than that it comes down to personal preference, I myself like the '17's and up..specifically the hellcats

·
Registered
805 Posts
Not sure there are any bad years.
I will share my personal preferences.

The 392 engine came out in the 2011 SRTs. It was a powerful engine then, and is even more so today. It gave the SRT a lot more low/mid range punch and real "Muscle Car" feel.
9 years later, it still remains the top high performance N/A engine option.

For this reason, I prefer the '11-14 SRTs over the earlier years w/the 6.1 engine.
The 11-14 SRTs look alike except for exterior color availability.

There is one notable change to the interior of the 12-14 SRT vs an '11SRT.
That is the steering wheel.
It was changed to a smaller diameter, flat bottom, round centered wheel.
(I believe it was pirated from the Jeep GC of the day)
IMHO, it is the sportiest, best looking steering wheel to ever be put into a modern Challenger.:cool:

With that said, I personally would want one of the 12-14 SRTs.

Of the years posted above, ''Hemi Orange" was only available in 2013.
('12 and '14 had the lighter/paler Header Orange available)

My absolute top pick would be a 2013 SRT392 in Hemi Orange w/NO STRIPES.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
You may be able to find a low-mileage, garage queen 2008-2009 model for a great price. I have a 2009 Hemi-orange 6.1 SRT and love it. Although the 2009 model is not numbered, like the 2008, it has one major improvement. In 2009, Dodge added a Getrag 220mm limited slip rear to complement the ESP (Electronic Stability Program). ESP comprised functions of the anti-lock braking and traction control systems. Dodge, however, realized that, at the track, owners wanted to disable ESP for better launches.

The 2008 SRT had an open differential (215mm Mennington) with ESP.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Personally, I think I would avoid anything prior to the 2015 refresh. A few starting to show some rust in the quarters and the refresh had good improvements.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The refresh had some very solid improvements hardware wise as well. Also, get a 392 SRT not a 6.1 SRT.

Also, be more concerned from WHO you are buying it from. Interview this person and see what they say about all of the maintenance and how they drove the car. Details on what to look for, ask about, and how to tell if the car will give you problems can be found on various other threads on this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Need some info go to the ones that own them. 2015 was a refresh period? so updated some things?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Yep, front fascia, headlight halos and new tail lights. Major interior refresh and gauge package in '15 too. SRT392 or Scat Pack is the way to go IMO. I have a '15 SRT392 and still love it...although it's a 426 now LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts