Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal:

I own a small software development company, and am constantly looking for new ideas for projects.

I recently bought a 2011 Challenger, and was not impressed at all with the MyGig stereo option. I have the MyGig in my Caravan, and while it does serve its purpose, I think the interface could be much better.

So I bought my car without the MyGig, and planned to purchase an aftermarket stereo. Pretty quickly I realized that I am not much impressed with most of them either.

Then I had the idea to create my own touch screen do it all device that would be powered by a PC. And found this: Revosys X500, 2DIN Car PC, Double DIN PC, Carputer, In-Dash Car PC,

So I have found a nice touch screen monitor that will fit perfectly into the 2 din opening in our cars, and have started to create an interface to use that will allow all of the features the MyGig supports, and so many more.

If I can create something impressive what features would you look for in a device like this?

Here is a short list of ideas so far:

1. AM/FM Tuner
  2. DVD/MP3 (All types of Audio Video Support)
  3. Built in Bluetooth for phone and audio
  4. GPS with Turn by Turn Nav (This would have a small license fee)
  5. Ability to store DVD movies on Hard Drive, and play them back without disc
  6. Voice commands, and speech recodnition
  7. Multiple camera support, with recording capibilities (Explained below)
Ok, those are the most obvious, but the one I really like is the recording abilities I want to build into the system. In my car I plan on installing the following cameras:

1. Backup / Rear View
2. Forward Facing / Front View
3. Gauges View

With the three camera's I plan to have the ability to record synchronized video from any or all of the cameras, and will have a utility built in that will allow a spliced version to show them on the screen.

For example: You do a 1/4 mile run and record it. Afterwards you play the recording and you see the front view with two small videos at the bottom of the gauges and rear view. You would be able to touch one of the small ones and it would move to the large view and switch with the smaller one.

Anyways, this is getting long, and I just want some ideas. From a hardware standpoint here is what it looks like so far:

1. PC (Netbook stripped down) $200-350 depending on HD and RAM you want
2. Cameras ($50 ea + cables @ ~$10) Total $180
3. Touch Screen $200 - $350 (Depending on resolution / quality)
4. Power supply $50
5. Amplifier for music: Varies based on needs

This would make the unit hardware between $630 - $930, but could be lower if the number of cameras was lowered, or if no cameras where used at all.

I can get the parts at wholesale rates with my business, and can do all of the software development, which would make this a very reasonable project.

Any interest?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I would create the interface and release the source code under an open source license.

·
Banned
557 Posts
One thing that instantly comes to mind is the ability to retain the functionality of the steering wheel audio controls. And also retention of the iPod/MP3 player capabilities when the MP3 accessory cord (not the AUX cord, but the other one that routes over to the glove department and shows your info on the screen and allows you to flip through the iPod songs via the head unit and/or steering wheel controls) is hooked into the factory stereo system.

To help hit different price targets, I would suggest setting up a base system w/o any cameras or turn-by-turn NAV (to avoid fees). Then have the extra add on cost to add NAV or 1 camera or 2 cameras or all 3 cameras.

Being a lowly 130 owner, I am always open to ideas. Much of my support would depend on how well it looks like a "factory headunit". Last thing I need is a bunch of bling to get wanna-be-thugs to bust my glass and jack my stereo. I quit doing after market years back after getting all my stuff stolen. Strangely enough, no one wants to steal a factory head unit, even if you have hidden amps, speakers, etc. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plan to retain the ability to use the steering wheel mounted controls. That part is actually pretty easy.

I also have figured out how to display information on the EVIC display. My car displays the radio station and song name there, and I could display pretty much anything I wanted I think. Will be testing this in the next few days.

About the looks. It would look 100% integrated with the dash. While off it would be a flat blank screen. Have you seen the 2011 Charger Nav? It would be basically like that.

The only drawback I have heard is that I don't plan to have a CD or DVD slot. It will have the ability to plug in a USB one if you must have one, but I pretty much do everything with USB drives now anyways.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Here's another thought as long as you are in there programming. It should be possible to incorporate some of the recording capabilites that the predator is capable of. You could either use the OBD port connection (split off of it) and connect to an appropriate input on the PC or run some sort of bluetooth device to communicate between the PC and the bus. These could be displayed on the device either in tabular or graphical format and saved to a file to download later using a USB stick.

Sounds like a good java application problem, shouldn't be too hard to do. Might be interested in assisting (28 years behind the keyboard, c/c++/java among other older languages on PC and linux).

What OS were you planning? CentOS linux or microsquish?

If you really wanted to go nuts, you could also do red force / blue force tracking with other cars that have the same device.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Am I missing something here... The Revosys X500 is about $1,500 retail. Is this going to required in addition to the rest what you plan?

Also, I would like to see an SD card and USB option. I have that on a single din radio and it beats the carp out of an Ipod.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I love Speedy's concept. That would be awesome to be able to take in car video on a road course and see the speed, rpm and the all important temperatures. I'd definately snatch one of those up!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I'm fine with the USB hookup. It's probably been a year since I played a CD in my Challenger. And that was only because I had burned it for someone else, and wanted to make sure it played okay.
Gotta have iPod / iphone interface, though.
Maybe an analog aux audio input, like the base radio.

I also like the instrument readouts, like the previous post. Configureable, of course.
I believe that most of the operational data is out there on the data bus.
Not sure if the F-code cars include oil pressure data or not. My research was a bit inconclusive. I'm sure that somebody here knows, though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
OP, I like. By having gauge layout like the Trinity would be excellent along with other options you mention. I may not be interested in the NAV but as somone mentioned make it option. The usb is great. I may miss having a CD slot, got to think about that one. ^^^ mentioned an 80.00 board, by looking at all ideas you may get the price down and still provide quality with many functions.
Subscribed:
FT

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. I ordered my '11 SRT8 with 730N so I'm getting the Mygig unit. I'd mostly be interested in a unit, if you could make it, with a lot of the same features as the one you described, but could be installed without having to remove the original unit as I don't want to waste my money having bought it already like Upgrayedd already mentioned. Such as something that provides the options that you offer that my car doesn't instead of one that has all the Mygig features as well as your own. Like one without Nav, bluetooh, etc. Maybe a unit that could go into the glove box or go onto a stand over the shifter like the polices cars have for their laptops. Do you think you could do this Akael?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts