Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any maintenance/repair quirks that the current Challenger line has? What I am talking about is i.e. in my wife's Chevy Malibu, to replace the headlight bulb, I have to take a front bumper off (great engineering and design!). In my Mercury, to replace heater core, the whole dash has to come off (which in my other Chevy it was a 15 minute job as the heater core was accessible from the engine compartment). You know, stuff like that that you are still cursing at after a repair you have done in 2016. :)

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Are there any maintenance/repair quirks that the current Challenger line has? What I am talking about is i.e. in my wife's Chevy Malibu, to replace the headlight bulb, I have to take a front bumper off (great engineering and design!). In my Mercury, to replace heater core, the whole dash has to come off (which in my other Chevy it was a 15 minute job as the heater core was accessible from the engine compartment). You know, stuff like that that you are still cursing at after a repair you have done in 2016. :)
I has this STUPID ****ING way of making me look like a MASSIVE IDIOT whenever I drive it because I can't stop grinning.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Depending on which trim level you get, things can get pricey. The dash has to come out for heater core and evaporator cores. A/C uses R1234yf which is expensive and can not be recharged if a leak is found. Brakes on an SRT can cost a couple thousand dollars. I do a lot of oil pumps on the 3.6 engines. Early 3.6 engines had poorly designed heads.
You may want to be more specific.
The car is not an economy car FOR SURE! But they are very good cars!
Tom.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
... Brakes on an SRT can cost a couple thousand dollars.
For what it's worth, don't panic here. I found OE equivalent pads online for 50-60 bucks for the front axle. They indeed CAN cost a fortune, but they don't have to.

And speaking of quirks, my 07 Camry, which is supposed to have this bulletproof reputation, was recalled for a failed dashboard. The whole thing was turning into this sticky goup where the sun contacted it. Ha... I even had a dead fly stuck on it... that couldn't get free. They had to replace the entire thing. Seems like every car has its issues.

But the biggest quirk may cause you a real problem. Once you own one of these things, you can't stop smiling.

Yer face hurts after awhile. It's a real problem.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you drive like me, you will need new rear tires more frequently.. You may also drive it so often that you continue to convince yourself that you need more power, thus hurting your wallet.

No but seriously it depends on your trim as said earlier. Maintenance wise nothing is super annoying. Brake pads may need to be changed more (than a non-performance car) often depending on what you do with the car , tires too. The most annoying thing to me was performance parts. The engineers made it very difficult to get to a lot of things that are common upgrades for performance people.

Good cars. Fun cars. Not very annoying maintenance cars.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at the basic SXT with V6 which would be my daily driver. I also do not have a lead foot.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
there aren't any particularly odd maintenance issues like the Chevy headlight bulbs, except:

on the V6 engines, the plenum has to be removed to access the other bank's spark plugs, but that's an every 100k interval, unless you'd need to change the plugs sooner if they weren't holding up.

No timing belt to deal with either.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I really with changing the ATF would be like the old days. DIY easy. Unbolt, drain, and fill, like an oil change.

I totally understand you don't have to change it (often), but on my past cars, I change out the ATF 25-30K and never had any issues with the auto trans. Overkill? Maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I totally understand you don't have to change it (often), but on my past cars, I change out the ATF 25-30K and never had any issues with the auto trans. Overkill? Maybe.
I do the same every 30-40K and never have tranny issues.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Do you mean just pads and rotors turned can cost thousands?
I priced factory pads and rotors for my car some time back and it was a tick over 2,000. (That was NOT thru a dealer) I did not even price how much the calipers would cost.
I remember a post on here by an SRT owner, his brakes had locked up. I don't remember seeing the final outcome. I believe he was still under the 12 month warranty.
I will have to check that.
Tom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at the basic SXT with V6 which would be my daily driver. I also do not have a lead foot.
Given your NJ location. You may be able to score a deal on a GT as well since it is summer. May have to look a little further south for one that a dealer has had sitting awhile.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My SRT will go through tires fast. The tires it comes with do not stick and you may want to upgrade the rear to wider and stickier. Insurance is a bit pricey because of the car performance. Oil changes are synthetic at 7500 miles. I imagine the rotors would be expensive if you wear them down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Having owned a 2012 SRT8 and currently a 2015 SRT392, I know what annoys me. Every time you wash it be willing to babysit the constant water running out from behind the tail light panel on the trunk! Opening and closing it constantly while at the car wash as you dry it.....just to get home and still have to re-wipe the rear bumper because of water coming out on the drive back!....sigh. You'll learn to live with it though, it's just cost of owning a cool car.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I priced factory pads and rotors for my car some time back and it was a tick over 2,000. (That was NOT thru a dealer) I did not even price how much the calipers would cost.
I remember a post on here by an SRT owner, his brakes had locked up. I don't remember seeing the final outcome. I believe he was still under the 12 month warranty.
I will have to check that.
Tom.
So what's so special about the pads and rotors that they are ridiculously priced at about 2 grand???

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
So what's so special about the pads and rotors that they are ridiculously priced at about 2 grand???
These are the 6-piston Brembos and monster 15.4" rotors that are standard on all 2015-up SRT 392 and Hellcat, also used T/A 392 and optional on Scat Pack. They are simply the best and biggest brakes that Dodge has ever put on a car so they will cost more. The front rotors are really the only thing that's a little steep, about $700 each right now but unless you are tracking the car, they should last a long time. By then the price should come down. I'm not worried, these brakes are incredible and worth whatever increase in replacement cost might be.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts