Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys recommend for cleaning the wheels and Tires?

·
Registered
2020 R/T Scat Pack 1320 edition
114 Posts
I'm usually very conservative about what I use on my wheels and tires. For the wheels in which they are black powder coated factory wheels I just use car wash soap. For the tires car wash soap and fairly stiff brush. I use Chemical Guys VRP on the tires to make them shine. The protectant is water based which is important on my drag radials.... no silicone on my car anywhere.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is brake dust a problem?
Well I have the 6 piston Brembos on the front. I plan to swap out the brake pads for the Powerstop ones which a lot of people recommend. Since the stock ones produce a lot of brake dust.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,598 Posts
For the wheels, I have two systems depending on how I feel. If I'm feeling energetic, I have a bucket that I fill with car wash soap and then dip my hand in it and then clean the barrels with my hand and the soapy water. It sounds Crazy, but it works. I can feel if there are any rocks or tar or stuff like that on the barrels and take care of it then. for the faces, I have a dedicated wash mitt for that purpose.

If I'm not feeling so spry, then I'll use Sonax Plus wheel cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit for about 2 minutes and then agitate it with a wheel/spoke brush. The Sonax is nice because it goes on green and turns red while it's working. It kind of tells you when it's working. Between that and the brush, it does a Good job.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
Mothers Tire & Wheel spray..makes a huge difference, that a pressure washer takes any & all scrubbing by hand away.
By the way, powerstop pads due reduce dust, but increase stopping distance, testing IMSC showed nearly 30ft added to 60-0mph distances, thats enough to make a big difference in your day.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
827 Posts
I don't know about that. They can cause the abs to cycle, so they work well enough but they require a bit more pedal effort.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mothers Tire & Wheel spray..makes a huge difference, that a pressure washer takes any & all scrubbing by hand away.
By the way, powerstop pads due reduce dust, but increase stopping distance, testing IMSC showed nearly 30ft added to 60-0mph distances, thats enough to make a big difference in your day.
So is it better to stick with the stock Brembo pads?

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
IDK brother, some guys seem to think its worth the added stopping distance to avoid the brembo vapor. Personally, id never sacrific that much stopping power/distance, my life and car isnt worth it.

Reactions: Nightwing

·
Registered
355 Posts
Here's what you should do.
1) do this at home with a bucket. Put about 3-4 oz of PH neutral car wash shampoo into about 3 gallons of water. This will make it strong. I suggest Adam's Car Shampoo.
2) Get a nice set of wheel and tire brushes. Don't buy cheap ones they don't last and they suck. I suggest Adam's Wheel brush kit with a barrel brush.
3) Adam's makes a Wheel and Tire cleaner. It doesn't have Iron remover in it so if your rims are bad you would also want to pick up Adam's Wheel cleaner which does has Iron Remover in it.
4) Once you get your wheels and tires perfectly clean, you won't need to keep using the Wheel cleaner, you will be able to switch to the Tire and wheel cleaner when needed cut 50-50.
5) Use a good water based Tire dressing like Chemical Guys VRT. It's excellent at repelling dirt and grime so the next time you clean your tires, you will only need the Car Shampoo and water with a Microfiber towel.
6) You will coat your wheels with some kind of spray ceramic or sealant. Use P&S Bead Maker or Adam's CS3 or Turtle Wax Spray sealant or their spray wax from their ICE line. It's great affordable stuff and holds up well on wheels.

Once you coat your wheels and dress your tires after you have them both perfectly clean , you will find it amazing easy to take care of them afterwards. I have only used Wheel and tire cleaner when it was new to get a perfectly clean surface, now I just use the car Shampoo and water with a Micro fiber towel and my wheels stay perfectly clean.
For Maintenance I re apply a coating on the wheels ever other wash or if I feel like it every wash. The tires I dress after every wash and man it makes all the difference in the world.

Tire and wheel care for most people is a pain but what most don't do is take the time up front as I do to make cleaning the wheels and tires a breeze.
Look into the brands I suggested Adam's in online only unless you live near a Adam's store, Chemical guys can be found at local automotive stores as well as Wallmart. Turtle Wax is also very local and in most stores, just focus on the ICE line that in my onion is the GEM of their line and P&S is found on the rag companies website. They also have a very good wheel and tire cleaner you can try out. It's excellent.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
I just use the local DIY high pressure soap/rinse/spot free on the wheels.

Keeps them looking good, no chemical reactions.

View attachment 1005974
Have done this for years and continue to this day. Also, this removes the considerable (mainly) brake dust from all areas of the wheel -- if I started with rinse setting the water that runs off the tire/wheel/brake hardware has black in it from all the dust it carries off -- and if done "right" from the brake hardware. This has worked to "cure" brake squeal under light braking.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts

Amazon carries the stuff too.

I have been using these products with good success.

Powerstops do reduce dust...Happier with Hawk HPS

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's what you should do.
1) do this at home with a bucket. Put about 3-4 oz of PH neutral car wash shampoo into about 3 gallons of water. This will make it strong. I suggest Adam's Car Shampoo.
2) Get a nice set of wheel and tire brushes. Don't buy cheap ones they don't last and they suck. I suggest Adam's Wheel brush kit with a barrel brush.
3) Adam's makes a Wheel and Tire cleaner. It doesn't have Iron remover in it so if your rims are bad you would also want to pick up Adam's Wheel cleaner which does has Iron Remover in it.
4) Once you get your wheels and tires perfectly clean, you won't need to keep using the Wheel cleaner, you will be able to switch to the Tire and wheel cleaner when needed cut 50-50.
5) Use a good water based Tire dressing like Chemical Guys VRT. It's excellent at repelling dirt and grime so the next time you clean your tires, you will only need the Car Shampoo and water with a Microfiber towel.
6) You will coat your wheels with some kind of spray ceramic or sealant. Use P&S Bead Maker or Adam's CS3 or Turtle Wax Spray sealant or their spray wax from their ICE line. It's great affordable stuff and holds up well on wheels.

Once you coat your wheels and dress your tires after you have them both perfectly clean , you will find it amazing easy to take care of them afterwards. I have only used Wheel and tire cleaner when it was new to get a perfectly clean surface, now I just use the car Shampoo and water with a Micro fiber towel and my wheels stay perfectly clean.
For Maintenance I re apply a coating on the wheels ever other wash or if I feel like it every wash. The tires I dress after every wash and man it makes all the difference in the world.

Tire and wheel care for most people is a pain but what most don't do is take the time up front as I do to make cleaning the wheels and tires a breeze.
Look into the brands I suggested Adam's in online only unless you live near a Adam's store, Chemical guys can be found at local automotive stores as well as Wallmart. Turtle Wax is also very local and in most stores, just focus on the ICE line that in my onion is the GEM of their line and P&S is found on the rag companies website. They also have a very good wheel and tire cleaner you can try out. It's excellent.
That is some great and detailed advice. Thanks brother.

Reactions: Mantis1

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are awesome as always. I appreciate all the tips and advice. Definitely gonna get some of this stuff and get to work of the wheels and tires.

Reactions: Mantis1

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts
Another vote for Mothers Wheel & Tire Cleaner.

BTW ... if you have aluminum valve stems, make sure you only use plastic valve stem caps.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts