Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and already made a quick post in the new guy introduction area... now to the nuts & bolts of my current situation.

I love the power of the R/T but the extra $10k needed to get one is difficult to handle. I've driven both the R/T and the SE. The SE is a capable enough car, but the R/T is a real thrill to drive.

I'm ready to buy and have negotiated tentative "deals" on 3 cars:
NEW Tungsten Gray R/T (20" wheels & Sirius) for about $32k out the door.
NEW Bright Silver SE (18" wheels) for about $22,500 out the door.
USED Tungsten SE (5700 miles, Navigation, Sunroof, 18"wheels, side stripes) for about $22,500 out the door.

While its obvious that only I can make the decision, what are the opinions out there? I'm not an aggressive driver, but I did enjoy the occasional burnout with the mustang I'll be replacing.

MM

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Alot of times people over look what options that are on a RT that aren't on the SE and think your paying 10K just for the engine. Look the cars over good and make sure that there isn't something you can't live without on the RT. I hear guy all the time spending money on SEs to get them to what my RT has already. The new SE must be pretty stripped if they want the same price for a used one with more on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Get a low mileage used R/T. I've seen them go as low as 25K recently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd say if youre not big into racing or anything and just looking for the style of the challenger just stick with the se. i previously owned a charger r/t and now i have a 2010 challenger se and i would pick this over that any day. nothing to do with the engine really just the style. so if youre not really into the performance and just looks then the se does the job just fine.

·
Banned
863 Posts
If you enjoy occasional burnout get the R/T. The SE won't give you that. The R/T is a great value for the performance and style.
You live only once.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
One idea would be to wait for the 2011s that just started production yesterday for a 2011 SE as the new V6 is 302 HP instead of 250HP. That would put you more in the middle of the HP of the 2010 RT and SE.....

I love my SE after 23 months of ownership.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nope! No Regrets.

·
Registered
630 Posts
When I bought mine, the base model SE was $6,500 less than my R/T. Not counting the doo-dads that I have added to it, my R/T is a base model with the 20" wheel option. I opted to spend the extra money, but I don't know if I would have gone $10k.

Comparing a base model SE to a base model R/T is not apples-to-apples. As itzrick mentioned, the base R/T has some stuff that is an option on the SE. The base model R/T is actually pretty well equipped, IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
A lot of people are perfectly happy with the SE but the fact you have to ask for opinions tells me you will not be one of them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Very happy w/mine too.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Extremely happy with my SE w/Rallye package. I can't see myself ever getting rid of it. Just make sure you get options you want on it. My I suggest leather seats and RER radio w/navigation. those options are both worth it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Other things to con$ider...

Do you have a heavy foot?

If so, you won't be happy with the SE if you're into stoplight dragracing.

Is fuel cost important to you? Regardless of the nearly 1 to 1 mileage rating between the RT and the SE, if you're in the throttle heavy all the time you will be paying more at the pump.

What's law enforcement like in your area? You might find yourself paying speeding tickets more often than you like.

You might take a hit on insurance premiums too. Both before and after the speeding tickets. Here in Illinois, there are some new laws that went into effect... $1500 fine for 30-39 mph over the speed limit... $2500 plus 1 year in jail for 40+ mph over and automatic licence revocation.

You also need to consider you're own driving habits. If you have the extra power are you going to use it? Are you an aggressive driver? The SE might be an answer to restraining your impulses. The R/T could get you into more trouble than you want.

Can you live with NOT having a Hemi? People will raz you for not having one. (Personally, I couldn't care less... My SE moves just fine for me.)

Don't get me wrong, the thrill of the extra power is intoxicating. But you have to decide for yourself if it's worth the extra costs.

Just a few things to think about...

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
SE or R/T?

I have owned my SE for 6 months , have taken a road trip of 1000 miles in her. Went over some mountains just fine. That little v6 did just fine. Got great MPG and rides like a dream. I was in the same situation when I purchased my Challenger. Although I never drove the R/T and I'm sure it's fun to burn the tires in, the SE was more than fast enough for my needs. I fell in love with the style of the car, if it had a 4 cylinder I would have got that 1. If it bothers you when you get asked and believe me you will "does it have a Hemi?" then get the hemi. If it doesn't then use that extra $ for mods. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten a SRT8.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Went from a 5.7 300C to my Challenger SE, no regrets, love the looks handling and yes even the performance. The 3.5 IMHO has pretty good response especially mid range and with the Predator.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Happy with mine, but burnouts are not something I could give a damn about.

Since you care about that, the 2010 SE might not be the ideal purchase.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I would definitely suggest waiting for the 2011 SE as another person mentioned. That engine is light years ahead of the the old V6.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Y'all are great... and a royal pain in the butt at the same time.

Most of what's been said is excellent food for thought. Problem is that if i do any more thinking, i'll end up buying a pink VW bug from the brain damage... ugh.

Keep the commentary coming... it actually does help.

I'll let you know when i decide.

MM

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am new with a SE and I can tell you, I am more than happy with it. I am 20, pay 100 a month for insurance, and it is awesome in the snow. I do not have fun in the snow, but I don't get stuck anywhere either. It is better than my 99' Mitsubishi FWD. Would I love the 2011 RT that is only 5K more than the SE? Sure. But I can't see paying over 3k a year for insurance.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts