Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 SRT, so any any tips on changing the battery, present one seems to not hold charge...Shows just 13.7 on battery icon while running...Also won't start without a jump on occasion...I figure 5 years, a new Interstate might be a good purchase...Any help, tips on putting it in, etc. would be appreciated...TIA

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
Mine runs high 13's to 14.1 or so and on the battery, it's probably fine but just needs a good charging and maintainer. Put a good CTEK charger on it and it should get it back into shape. Just sounds like you don't drive it enough and it stays in a state of being undercharged.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Fully charged battery should 12.6-12.8 just sitting there. In car at fast idle should be at least 1 more volt minimum. Have you load tested the battery? If not, charge it for at least 6 hours. Let sit for about 2hrs. Then load test it. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
yeah, I agree with Slidd. A good trickle charger is a must if you don't drive often, and its locked with the security system on. If you are in a locked garage, do you need the car security system activated ? Its a 'constant' drain on the battery. Not much, but its there. My parents are good for that.
Drive their 300 once every two weeks or so, and locked the rest of the time in a garage. I change the battery in their car every 3 or four years.
I put a trickle charger in their garage and connector on the 300, but they forget to connect it. what can you do but laugh and get them a new battery.

Yeah I have to add the trickle to my Challenger. The original batteries on my CTD Dodge , lasted 12 years. Yeah a trickle charger makes a difference.
Have a good one, hope it just needs a good charge or just a new battery.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I would hook jumper wires to another battery at the jump points under the hood before disconnecting the old battery so you don't loose all the computer's data and have to do any relearning procedures.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,681 Posts
When running you are reading the alternator voltage. What does the battery read when off? As mentioned, it can even read normal then, really need to load test it.

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car does have 42,000 miles and it's a daily driver...Has 12 v sitting but not enough juice to turn over the engine...Haven't done the load...But will probably just get a new Interstate battery...and thanks 'UP3985' for the mention of keeping juice on system while changing out ...I'll just leave my charger hooked...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Sounds like your battery is on it's last legs....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmmm, Check out the AGM batteries at NAPA. Very nice, sealed. Good warranties. I put two in my Dodge Ram three years ago, and one in my Lexus. They are made in USA as well. Better prices than odyssey and optima.

You may want to check them out. Sealed is good,
I don't remember where Interstate is made, but I do know the NAPA Legends are made by East Penn, in Pennsylvania and NC.
I looked and they have ones for the Challengers 800 CCA, YOu get a better deal at the store than the website I have found.
Have a good one !

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
There's no truly sealed battery and you've got to make sure it had provisions for the factory vent tube and that you hook it up.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,321 Posts
Jack
Do you know what a factory vent tube is? I had this type of battery on my last car. I found that they're not cheap to replace. Have you looked at prices? Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,681 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi A Guy

It has a vent although AGM does not vent gasses unless perhaps an overcharge situation, but you'd be covered for that
I had a Yuasa AGM battery that actually vented acid on my Town Car and never found out why, I put a vent tube into a plastic bottle incase it did it again, so I would say fitting a vent tube on a Challenger is a must given the battery location.

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
817 Posts
I decided against the AGM type battery when I replaced my 9 yo battery, yes it hung in the 9 years!!! From what I've read AGM Batteries need a different type battery charger. Also just make sure the new battery has the vent fitting and reuse the factory vent tube you unhook from the old battery.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
I decided against the AGM type battery when I replaced my 9 yo battery, yes it hung in the 9 years!!! From what I've read AGM Batteries need a different typy battery charger. Also just make sure the new battery has the vent fitting and reuse the factory vent tube you unhook from the old battery.
Agree. The good old wet cell battery works just fine in the protected confines of the Challenger trunk.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Before I retired, my line of work involved automation projects with several battery manufactuers.

Very interesting learning the process, and who really makes what, not to mention the latest marketing and fashion trends in the industry.

Bottom line, based on 30 years involvement with these companies, I would buy an Interstate, Walmart, or the OEM battery.

The above three are pretty much equal, so I would purchase on ease of buying and price.

As for all the other "high tech" units that are high dollars, it's your money. Pee it away as you see fit on a street car.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I went the easy way...Bought an Interstate...
MTX-94R H7
AGM with the vent tube...Note: the Dodge's battery also had a vent tube...
850 CCA...I think the stock battery was 780...
36 months free replacement...If I keep the Challenger that long...

Needed to jump start car this AM going to have battery installed...Just turned over with my charger on it...and the UConnect screen had locked up...and also wouldn't work...but everything fine after I started up again with new battery...actually OK with a restart at friend's garage...

So far feeling good about purchase...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,681 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts