Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to do a cam swap but after all the mixed reviews from cam swaps on HP & TQ gains I want to make sure the numbers are there. With that being said if any vendor is willing to guarantee their product then I would purchase from you. Since there are not local shops that I can buy from, I would run by a local dyno shop to do 3 pulls prior to cam install and the go back to the same shop and have this dialed in remotely from a trusted tuner and I also maybe able to set-up a video conference so the tuner can hear the engine during the pulls as well. This could be a great opportunity for the vendor because I would be posting video and facts as to what the cam did on my car. I have a 2013 RT 6 Speed.

Just a thought if the cams do what the vendors say... I need some type of guarantee before laying down this amount of money as it is not cheap.

Reactions: Felix C.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I doubt most would guarantee anything. I could be wring though. Personally if all yiu are doing is a cam save your money. Like everything else they all work together. Now if u are going to do a head upgrade or rework stock heads then i would say go for it. It is alot of work for little reward by itself

Chris

sent from mobile device

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
you would have to base it on bone stock to cam'd. too many variances in mods/tuners to ever guarantee it unless they low ball the #s.
different size and makes of TBs, CAIs, catbacks, tuners etc could infulence the out come. everyone that is going to do a cam probably has at least these mods so the interaction of these variabilites is huge.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt most would guarantee anything. I could be wring though. Personally if all yiu are doing is a cam save your money. Like everything else they all work together. Now if u are going to do a head upgrade or rework stock heads then i would say go for it. It is alot of work for little reward by itself

Chris

sent from mobile device
Chris I see what your saying based on some other threads and that's why I am posting this. Some vendors are claiming 70-90 HP with just a VVT cam and tune. If that's the case I think it is well worth the time and money for that type of gain. With the claims they are making which could be correct then I want some type of guarantee that I will see at least 55-60 HP. As far as the heads and other things go I will be adding in stages.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
the other issue lies dyno's.. you put it on a dyno makes 75 b dyno makes 62.. c dyno 54.. see where i am going.. IF they was to guarantee i don't know how unless they have a inhouse dyno and they have cams ground to there specs and they install and run on there dyno with there tune.

as for 75hp on a cam.. NO WAY.. i would have to see it to believe it for sure.

but that is just my opinon. guess alot plans on what you want.. are you runnin a stock motor? and you plan on doing nothing else to it?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
the other issue lies dyno's.. you put it on a dyno makes 75 b dyno makes 62.. c dyno 54.. see where i am going.. IF they was to guarantee i don't know how unless they have a inhouse dyno and they have cams ground to there specs and they install and run on there dyno with there tune.

as for 75hp on a cam.. NO WAY.. i would have to see it to believe it for sure.

but that is just my opinon. guess alot plans on what you want.. are you runnin a stock motor? and you plan on doing nothing else to it?
As I mentioned in the original post I would use the same dyno before, during the tune and after tune. I did have a 2010 Camaro and just cam alone I did get 70RWHP. I currently have stock motor, Kook's LT headers, Kook's Green High Flow Cats, Mopar CAI 3" Cat-Back Exhaust and Hemifever Tune. Eventually I will get a SC when they make one for the 2013 models RT's. I am also getting ready to install ST coil-overs, WL front and rear sway bars and rear solid cradle bushings to get rid of the dreaded wheel hop.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only real gaurantees are you will pay taxes and be visited by the grim reaper one day.
If the vendors and/or manufactures quote a number range then they should guarantee it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
any vendor that claims 90RWHP on a cam only run away! as for everything else to many variables to be able to guarantee anything, I have seen Identical cars with same exact mods and tuning on the same dyno make up to 30hp between each other.
I understand what your saying but when it advertised then they aught to back it up. I know there will be some variances and that is to be expected but don't tell me 70 - 90 HP and it not produce it. What are you seeing out of your cams? I am not asking for anything unobtainable but when a vendor states something then I expect it to be close or they should state it varies from car to car.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
How can they guarantee numbers when you've got bone stock exact challengers dyno results within 10 to 25 hp difference which I've seen.
Any vendors that guarantees numbers is fraud IMO.
But I gotta give you kudos for your strategy. I like it. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How can they guarantee numbers when you've got bone stock exact challengers dyno results within 10 to 25 hp difference which I've seen.
Any vendors that guarantees numbers is fraud IMO.
But I gotta give you kudos for your strategy. I like it. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I am not looking for dead on numbers but if they are going to advertise something then they should guarantee it. I have modded several cars and I know their will be variances...

Here is the link where I got the info from so people wont think I am blowing smoke.

<removed>

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
As I mentioned in the original post I would use the same dyno before, during the tune and after tune. I did have a 2010 Camaro and just cam alone I did get 70RWHP. I currently have stock motor, Kook's LT headers, Kook's Green High Flow Cats, Mopar CAI 3" Cat-Back Exhaust and Hemifever Tune. Eventually I will get a SC when they make one for the 2013 models RT's. I am also getting ready to install ST coil-overs, WL front and rear sway bars and rear solid cradle bushings to get rid of the dreaded wheel hop.
If you are planning to get a S/C then do not get a cam yet as the profiles are different from N/A to forced induction,
BTW 2013 S/C have been out for a few months now Procharger Vortec, Edlebrock Ect...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The link is block due to it being another forum, but her is what was listed in the post.

The 5.7 cars see anywhere from 75-90 HP and the 6.4 cars see about 50 on a stock motor with basic bolt ons

5.7L with Basic Mods (Shorty's, HF Cats, Exhaust, TB, CAI).....^^^^^
5.7L with Basic Mods PLUS Supercharged 6 to 8lbs Stock Bottom End......150-170
5.7L with above add Heads and Long Tubes.......120-130
5.7L based 392 Forged Bottom End plus above and Supercharged 12 to 14lbs Boost.....can`t judge that would have to do that combo

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are planning to get a S/C then do not get a cam yet as the profiles are different from N/A to forced induction,
BTW 2013 S/C have been out for a few months now Procharger Vortec, Edlebrock Ect...
Weren't they using 2012 PCM?

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
When we talk to our customers we give them a range of what to expect with certain combinations. Never do we advertise a exact number so typical a cam only swap with a medium grind 40-50 RWHP as an example

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
The link is block due to it being another forum, but her is what was listed in the post.

The 5.7 cars see anywhere from 75-90 HP and the 6.4 cars see about 50 on a stock motor with basic bolt ons

5.7L with Basic Mods (Shorty's, HF Cats, Exhaust, TB, CAI).....^^^^^
5.7L with Basic Mods PLUS Supercharged 6 to 8lbs Stock Bottom End......150-170
5.7L with above add Heads and Long Tubes.......120-130
5.7L based 392 Forged Bottom End plus above and Supercharged 12 to 14lbs Boost.....can`t judge that would have to do that combo

what company is claiming that?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No S/C company swaps PCMs. Tuning is available for the 13s
I know that's how Arrington was tuning them and the every kit I was quoted a price on had a replacement PCM in the pricing from the vendor due to full CRM tuning is not available on 2013's. If that has changed it has been in the last 2 weeks which is possible. I even spoke with Johan on this as well.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts