Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is not needed. I think that it is too many gears for the hemi engines. I know it will get higher 0-60 times but most likely 1 and 2 gear will be extremely quick to were there won't be that much enjoyment. I like hearing the engine for a sec or two before switching gears. I drove a dodge ram with the hemi 8 speed transmission and did not like it that much due to the fact that it changed gears too quick. What do you think?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think you have a good point. I am going to go drive a Ram truck for the reason you stated. I have a Ram Truck with a Hemi 6spd auto now and really enjoy the way it drives. The 8 spd Is designed to use the torque range as another member pointed out in another post here on CT. You can't argue with the logic or the fuel economy they provide tho. Challenger wise, I wonder the same thing you do. I may stick with a 6spd manual and not be tempted by all this new tangled tech. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I dunno... some engine sound vs pin you back in your seat... ?? I think if it really goes 1/2 sec quicker at 60...this is big. Throw in better MPG as a bonus - the A8 will do really well.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I bet on paper it's a great transmission, but...Putting more gears in the same space means using smaller components. Will the components be strong and be able to handle daily WOT bursts? I would definitely get an extended warranty on a Challenger with the A8. I can't remember an auto car I had that didn't have tranny slippage issues due to my spirited driving style.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Spasticdog70

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I test drove a 6 speed auto Mustang and frankly all that gear changing was pretty distracting. I can only imagine adding two more gears...

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
In the grand scheme of things ALL vehicles will get 8 or 9 speed transmissions over the next 5 years... so... it is coming. The V6 Charger/300 has had it since 2011...

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I think it's going to be great for everyday driving but I LOVE the feel of the 5 speed on my '13. I think that the 8 speed is going to be easier to live with for a daily driver though.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If they keep adding gears when do they go to a CVT transmission? With 8 speeds it's always changing gears anyway.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think it was THE most needed change on the entire car, because the WA580 ratios SUCKED and put us at a huge disadvantage compared to the other cars in the segment. I would trade mine for the 8 speed right now.

Reactions: Turbozcs2003

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Down shift rev matching is a plus too. It's not enough of a plus for me to trade mine in though. I do think it will help with highway mileage. Every time I'm just cruising down the highway at 70 and my rpm shows about 2500, I'm thinking I wish I had just one more gear.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Long term, I think the 8 speed is going to be great. In the short term, I think it needs work. I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee this week with the 8 speed - lots of gear changes, lots of overlap between shifts, feels very "mushy." Seems like it is forever looking for the right ratio, and it has too many to pick from. With the right software, it could be a monster, but right now... my "old school" NAG1 is feeling like a dragster.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Every time I'm just cruising down the highway at 70 and my rpm shows about 2500, I'm thinking I wish I had just one more gear.
2500 at 70? Geez, I'm barely turning 2000 at 80.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I had the A8 on my 2012 300S V6: loved its smoothness and refinement, but a combination of a heavy foot, 300 HP and 4,000 lbs meant it had to downshift quite a bit to get it going.

The Jeep weighs another ton over the Challenger. If you felt the Jeep kept hunting for gears it may have been probably because the V6 needed to downshift constantly to move a 5,000 lb vehicle. It should be significantly less prone to constant shifting in a much lighter Challenger --it's not often that we get to refer to Challenger as lightweight! :D; and even less need to do so with a HEMI.

Yes, my M6 cruises below 1,900 RPMs at 75 MPH.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I test drove a 6 speed auto Mustang and frankly all that gear changing was pretty distracting. I can only imagine adding two more gears...
Very true! I owned a 6-speed auto Mustang for 3 years, had to get rid of it. The constant shifting was crazy.It was a "LEARNING" tranny...I think mine was retarded:pillepalle: because it couldn't learn $hit! Stop and go driving was not a pleasure, in and out of gears all the time. Just couldn't make up it's mind which gear it wanted. :scratchhead:
That was a 6 speed now we talking an 8 speed. I know we are talking apples to oranges but with 8 gears it's going to be constantly shifting ( this tranny is going to be busy bee) unless cruising highway at constant speed.
This is the reason I purchased my 14 instead of the 15. Didn't want the constant shifting again ...I know some are going to say get a stick but I want an auto for many reasons.
A 1/2 sec. faster plus better millage is tempting but I'll pass. I hope it's smooth as glass but have this feeling it will have a hard time choosing gears and to some this will be nerve wrecking.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I'm guessing it will be a lot of shifting between 4/5/6 while driving in-town, and you are a bit on the "active" side with the throttle.

It's not going to pull any harder in 1st (speaking of the Hemi version), because technically, you are tire-limited there just as you are with the NAG1. What tires you have in the back will matter more as far as how strongly it jumps out of the gate. After it hooks, it will be an eye-blink zing to redline, and then into 2nd which should last a big longer, but still burn through rpm pretty quick. It should be quite a blast out of the turns in 2nd (*if* you manually put it there in a turn), though, but again, you are more likely to be tire-limited as far as how much power you can put down vs keeping the tail from swinging wide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's a line to be drawn between performance versatility and gearbox size. 8 gears sounds a bit tedious to row through, but, all things considered, you'd have an angry low gear monster and a docile, gas-sipping high gear cruiser. For an auto I can't see how this is anything but a major plus. I'm sure dodge has a design that'll feel natural, but I can imagine there'll be experienced drivers out there missing 3rd for the first few weeks.

Does anybody know what the gear ratios will be?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Looking forward to a test drive just to know how well the combination works.

Hope springs eternal.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
A key difference between the ZF A8 and most A6s out there is refinement and smoothness.

Because the ZF transmission shifts so smoothly, comparing it to a Ford Mustang A6 or a Dodge Journey A6 (ugh) is comparing apples and oranges.

The one thing I will say about the A8: because of so many gears, you will use the paddle shifters once or twice and you will be done.

Scanning up and down 8 gears with your fingers gets old, fast. Because the gears are closer together, they are also less differentiated, making it harder to discern which gear you are on and which one would be better. And by the time you shifted up to 6th gear, the fun is gone but you still have two more to go.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
This is the effective ratio, w axle ratio.

Code:
NAG1 5-spd, 3.06
		ZF 8-spd auto, 3.08	
		14.46	1
1	11.00	9.64	2
2	6.70	6.48	3
3	4.31	5.13	4
		3.96	5
4	3.06	3.08	6
5	2.54	2.58	7
		2.05	8

·