Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
IIRC I posted this link to the docs, which is still working as of right now:

It is a seemingly important and necessary update, to resolve an issue with a "bug" in GPS code where a counter will roll over to all zeroes and without intervention the GPS in the radio will not know what the 0000 really means (beginning of time, or just that the counter rolled over). Hence the "must be installed by November 3" note in the TSB. November 3 is when the counter will roll over.

So in this case it really is necessary, not really them fixing something they messed up because UConnect doesnt make the hardware that contains and uses the counter, they can only rely on firmware and updates provided by the manufacturer of that card (which I believe is Sierra Wireless, using a Qualcomm chipset)

As far as them not making it downloadable, they have done it in the past (17.43.01), and the fact that there are so many affected vehicles in this TSB makes me think that they will have to make it available somewhere in addition to OTA. Not everyone has a good shot at a Sprint connection (our head units use the Sprint wireless network), you have to figure there will be some mess ups and dealers need to be given a way to get out of them, etc.

Another interesting indication is that before 17.43.01 was downloadable, there was 17.11.07 as an OTA. Currently, 18.11.07 was the initial OTA, but now we are seeing head units get 18.43.01. Maybe just a huge coincidence, but it is interesting that the versioning is going the same way as a previous version that went from OTA only to OTA or downloadable.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,576 Posts
There is some talk of a 2nd update happening after the first. Perhaps they are piggybacking a 2nd fix, or fix for the first? In any case, there is this hard (apparently) date of 11/03 where everyone would need to have the update done or lose functionality. I sure hope they accomplish this?

Thanks for your info!

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,576 Posts
Anyone has already gotten the update, check the Uconnect site and see if the newer version shows for download. If it ever does, download it and post here. Some guys with transferred radios, etc. may not get the OTA update, and will need a DL to get it done

A Guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got this 2 nights ago, did the update since it's basically forced upon you. Now it asks me to schedule the update everytime I turn on the car and everytime I switch screens. Cant use radio, bluetooth, nav, etc. Sports mode still works so I'm figuring its unrelated to that other update that tanked everyone's screen and did away with sports mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: 2015 R/T Shaker Plus
I got the update on my 2015 grand Cherokee, scheduled it and the next day the sound on my radio wouldn’t work. And, it kept repeating the request to schedule the update. After three days of this and a call to uconnect and the Jeep dealer, my son
(A John Deere master mechanic) told me it was failing because I was leaving the car in the garage for the update. We did the update in the driveway and all works now. If this isn’t your issue, the dealer said to disconnect the battery. Hope this helps you

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone has already gotten the update, check the Uconnect site and see if the newer version shows for download. If it ever does, download it and post here. Some guys with transferred radios, etc. may not get the OTA update, and will need a DL to get it done

A Guy
On it. I have the vin of a 15 RAM that got the update. The uconnect site still shows 17.43.01 as their latest.

I'm hitting the site multiple times a day with different vins but still only see 17.43.01.

I've found a way to see basically all of the files available for download and am keeping track of that list as well. I should hopefully see the new version show up when (if) it is made downloadable. Judging from the existing filenames, ra3 and ra4 aren't really vehicle specific but they may be model year specific. So the goal is 2 files per model year.

I've also heard from a reliable source that the update will be available by download "very soon"...hopefully they are correct.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,316 Posts
This ought to be interesting. My 2015 SRT has been telling me it needs to be updated since I bought it used in June 2017. I have never updated it and everything works just fine.
So far...

·
Registered
41 Posts
This ought to be interesting. My 2015 SRT has been telling me it needs to be updated since I bought it used in June 2017. I have never updated it and everything works just fine.
So far...
If you've been getting prompted that long, it probably started as 17.11.07. After that OTA turned into a disaster, they release 17.43.01 which is downloadable from the UConnect site. It is unclear to me if 17.11.07 became 17.43.01 without any changes, or maybe minor changes or maybe 17.43.01 was a complete overhaul. I cant really tell.

·
Registered
41 Posts
18.43.01 seems to be what is coming down now.

I think either 18.07.11 had to be fixed, or 18.43.01 indicates a version that will become downloadable (17.11.07 changed to 17.43.01 once UConnect made it downloadable from the website)

Without having both files to compare, we'll never be able to tell the actual differences. The downloadable versions are always a full system AFAIK, so 1.2GB. There is no way the OTA versions are that large since it only takes 10-15 minutes to download and update. But once a downloadable version exists, we might be able to compare it to a copy of the last downloadable version, to get some indication of what was changed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know if this is a side-benefit of the software update, but my USB thumbdrive has never indexed or given directory listings so quickly. I'm guessing the USB slot on the center console is USB 2? Not sure. I use a 256GB USB 3 drive that is about 95% full and would dread changing albums because the directory listing would be so slow. Now it's actually quite spry!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If anybody is using an usb to update, when you plug it into the usb slot it could take up to 5 minutes for the the update screen to appear on the radio display.

2015 SRT

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
So I recieved the email notification several weeks ago and no OTA yet. I did not think the new 18.43.01 was available for download? In fact, I checked uconnect and it still only shows 17.43.01.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
If you look at post #88 there is a new OTA update (18.43.01) that is slowly being rolled out which is the latest firmware that supposedly fixes GPS errors. A Guy posted a TSB about it either in this thread or another one discussing the new update.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
616 Posts
I guess I feel blessed...Got the notice on screen of update about 2 weeks ago...I hit Update, and 10-15 minutes later all done...2015 SRT Automatic...

·
Registered
743 Posts
I got an update notification on the display in my car so I said perform now. I then turned the car off and left. About a week later I get another notification about a software update over the air and so I say update now and leave the car. I come back after a few hours and everything is working OK. About a week or two after that I get another notification about a software update so I say update now and leave the car. I get the notification one more time about another week later then I say OK I’m going to schedule it for sometime in the future to see if that makes any difference so I set it for 10 minutes after I leave the car and walk away. I come back after a few hours and I get a notification that reads software update failed contact your dealer.

I’m assuming that the multiple update notifications were because the updates were failing but it’s curious why I only got the update fail message when I scheduled it for sometime in the future.

While in my car I used the Uconnect button and found out from the lady that my car is behind one update that was required to be done manually. They advised I do the manual update with the USB and then maybe the over the air update will succeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,576 Posts
Wow, if Uconnect actually gave you correct info, that's worth this thread...had never heard of them doing that before!

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,576 Posts
BTW, supposedly 16 days until Y2K and no hint of an update for my car. If I run into the ocean and die, I'm going to be upset

A Guy

·
Registered
41 Posts
BTW, supposedly 16 days until Y2K and no hint of an update for my car. If I run into the ocean and die, I'm going to be upset

A Guy
What year and model?

Im not sure I have seen any 2017+ vehicles updated yet, and very few 2016. Seems mostly to be concentrated on '15 for now....makes me wonder if "the bug" is not in every version of the hardware (assuming the chipset that was used got revisions along the way, maybe the revisions already came with "the fix" in the firmware)

81 - 100 of 191 Posts