Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Anybody get a Uconnect update request today 9-9-19

56K views 197 replies 44 participants last post by  ChallyTatum 
#1 ·
Just got a Unconnect update request in my 2016 challenger RT 8.4 radio. 9-19-19 today. Anybody else get this request and what does it do? These things scare me. Was just about to get a Tazer and I wonder if it will still work with this update. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Got this 2 nights ago, did the update since it's basically forced upon you. Now it asks me to schedule the update everytime I turn on the car and everytime I switch screens. Cant use radio, bluetooth, nav, etc. Sports mode still works so I'm figuring its unrelated to that other update that tanked everyone's screen and did away with sports mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: 2015 R/T Shaker Plus

Attachments

#8 ·
I didn’t get any email from dodge. Patch notes would be great.

#10 ·
Weird this comes up now. This is the message from the website:

UCONNECT_8.4A_RA3_17.43.01_MY16_NAFTA

SERVICE BULLETIN ID: 08-046-18 REV. A
RELEASE DATE: 2018-03-23

#32 ·
Question for you - if you now go to the UConnect website (driveuconnect.com) and input your VIN into the software update page, what do you see? Is it now the 18.whatever version or is it still the older 17.something version?

(to introduce myself - Im a RAM owner and am working on RAMForum to try and help figure out what this forced update is about, and if there is a way to help RAM owners that have gotten stranded in update limbo)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

#23 ·
Rumor has it it installs a 426 Hemi!

A Guy :rolleyes:

#25 ·
All aluminum!

A Guy

#27 ·
I have a 2015 Challenger R/T Super Track Pack (automatic), and in the last two weeks received three notifications over the air of an over the air software update. I receive it just as I park after a long drive, and turn ignition off. It says it will happen when ignition is turned off. It starts showing me a status screen of 0% downloaded, and then display just disappears. I have tried both sitting in the car with the ignition off, or opening the door and leaving the car with the door open, and then shutting the door (thus turning off power immediately). Nothing worked, update failed. I did not notice a patch number or anything like that.

Anyone?

#29 ·
My system prompted me to enter a time for the update to occur, which I tried to enter to no avail. When I went to start driving, all of the sudden it began the update! At that point I had no choice but wait for the system to update or risk a failed attempt. There were actually two updates done, whatever they were for?

#30 ·
I had called Uconnect about six months ago asking about over the air updates since they said my car was due for an update (2016 SXT Plus). At the time they told me I needed to go online and do it because they were not offering it over the air. Maybe your car is too far behind so you need to do the online update before the over the air update will succeed. Just a guess don’t know for sure.

#31 ·
I don't think they will offer newer updates for download on the Uconnect site unless there are issues with the OTA (like they did with the 17.43.01). Since this update is OTA (Over The Air), the car must be out in the open of the update will fail. People report getting email about an update. I have gotten neither an email, or an update prompt, but I'm sure they roll them out in stages. I have not been able to find any info on what the Update does

A Guy

#34 ·
Expanding on my reply to Chris, my 2016 Scat Pack hasn't received an OTA update in over year. I'm not sure if I ever received any OTA updates. (I thought one time I received a notification in the console.)

My last update was via USB.

What are the requirements to get OTA updates? I think I deactivated the uconnect subscription service to avoid payment.

CCB

#35 ·
Thanks! I guess we could just ask anyone that wants to hit the site to respond back with what they see.

I had an RA3 in my truck originally, the last available update for it was the same as yours - 17.43.01. I never applied it, it never prompted to come over OTA. I got an email a couple weeks ago saying there would be an important update to my radio and watch out for it to come down automatically (or at least the scheduling screen on the head unit)

For better or worse timing, I got a good deal on an RA4 unit, which I swapped into my truck. Now my worry is the RA4 that "isnt mine" will never get a (possibly important) update.

If we can find someone who HAS gotten the 18.11.07 update, perhaps their VIN would show the update as downloadable from the driveuconnect website. If we can download it, then we can potentially get it to people that need it. AFAIK they are model-year-specific, but any file is a start.

#36 ·
I tried getting the update from Uconnect once I received the email notification but it still shows the old version software. As A Guy mentioned it might not be available through Uconnect or maybe at least not for a while. The Canadian members don't get OTA but instead get a hardcopy of the software. I was able to grab an update this way (it was 2 versions back) and it worked on my radio (radio and vehicle year must match though).

#37 ·
I should also mention, I read on another board (hellcat.org) that there are two radios manufactures and one doesn't get OTA updates. The owner has a 2017 HC. I wonder if this applied to me.

"I've been dealing with updates and uconnect. Here's what I have found out from uconnect. There are 2 manufacturers of radio. They state that if you have a Panasonic (most likely 2017 and up) they do not do OTA updates."

#39 ·
At least in the RAM world, they went to Panasonic in the 2018 model year. 2017 and earlier were Harmon branded and do receive OTA updates.

The reason for the "interest" in this update is that it might have something to do with the upcoming GPS week number rollover. Some devices use an "offset" to the value, which makes their week number rollover in November, instead of the April rollover that has already passed.

I spoke to someone with some knowledge of UConnect and they mentioned this update is "required" to be installed by November, so I was just putting 2 and 2 together. Hopefully its a non-issue, or maybe its just a re-hash of the 17.43.01 update that we all might not have installed yet.

Curiously enough, when I put the RA4 into my truck the GPS was inoperative. Would not lock onto anything, constant message on screen about needing calibration.

I updated it (manually) to 17.43.01 and magically everything started working.

#40 ·
I just completed the 2018 update after locating a USB drive (I never use one anymore):

UCONNECT_8.4A_RA3_17.43.01_MY16_NAFTA
SERVICE BULLETIN ID: 08-046-18 REV. A
RELEASE DATE: 2018-03-23

The driveuconnect.com download area still shows the same release and only one update so I guess the page will display a new version once the new release mentioned in the email goes out. I bet the page only shows that last release for the VIN. Especially since it still shows a completed update for me.

More details on how I did the USB flash drive update. Copy the files to an empty USB drive in the root directory. The format is FAT-32 which is the default for a new flash drive. It will take about a minute for the system to acknowledge the drive and update. It is probably reading the 1 GB file.

I had hoped I could stop radio autoplay but the new autoplay option is only for USB. Currently I turn my car on and start backing up and then the radio goes on. I stop backing up then turn it off. I continue backing up then the USB kicks in and I stop backing up my car and turn it off. First world problems. I know.

CCB

#41 ·
I am hopeful they make the new release downloadable.

I have confirmed the contents of it are actually important, for once. Google "GPS week rollover" and thats what we're dealing with.

Supposedly all GPS units in our vehicles will become inaccurate and/or inoperative without the update.

So far it looks like it is OTA only, dealers are having enough customers with enough trouble that FCA released a bulletin on Monday regarding how to stop the continued prompts to install (even after they installed it).

HOPEFULLY it becomes a downloadable at some point, since it affects a whole lot of vehicles (see below) and for those of us that have transplanted head units.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.