Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate to come of driving age back in the early '60's, and fondly recall so many of those cars. My first car was my dad's '59 Anglia, which i rolled in my highschool parking lot, in front of the principal's office. That little car began an affinity for small cars, first a TR-4, then an MGB, but graduating from Nebraska in '69, and just before i was commissioned out of ROTC, wanted a 340 Dart, so went down to the Lincoln dealer, and found the '69 Charger was only a little more so ordered a green 440 R/T, got it 3 weeks later, for $3275, only option power steering and console. The Hemi was a $770 option. When the salesman asked if i wanted the Hemi, (two months of my Lt. wages), i asked if the 440 came in a box or was sent to me, thinking that if i got the Hemi, i also got a spare 440. I had never bought a new car before. I had pondered a '66 GT350, but he wanted $4500 for that car. I put an Offenhauser manifold on it; couldn't get new intake gaskets, so used masking tape to make one of of shoebox cardboard, which was holding up fine when i sold the car later.

Took it to Germany, drove it 33K in the year + I owned it. Used 18 cent Quartermaster gas, cruised at 95mph, because over a hundred it felt like it would fly off the road, and would not make one complete stop from that speed anyway. Some times, in cramped ancient German towns, i would get to a point on some tiny street, that my big Dodge couldn't get thru, and would have to back up and try another way. Raced down a one way in Barcelona the wrong way, ran the boarder guard at Spain, knowing I could get into France before he could unsling his submachine gun. Only repair was a water pump, sent to me by my dad. Germany was still rebuilding then, and many Germans still drove the tiny Messershmidt and Isetta cars, or other tiny machines.

Many other sports cars since, two TR-8's, turbo Mitsu, now a Superformance Cobra replica, but with my incoming SRT8, i am going back to my roots.

all the best from Upstate South Carolina.....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ive Got a 71 demon 340 and a 69 dart gts thats in the process of being restored.
:redcap:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 69 RR hardtop 4 speed 383 vitamin c orange, and a 69 RR convert b5 blue 4 speed 451 inch sleeper. Unfortunately no Challengers right now. I miss my 09 b5 Classic, but my home was more important, and Challengers just are not as rare as my Road Runners.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've got a '70 'Cuda 440+6. It was my dream car while growing up and I finally got the chance to get one of my own. It's my keeper.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I have a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T SE in rare turquoise color. Has a 440 with a 727 TF tranny. It's restored, and very stock except for the tires/wheels (I have stock wheels, tires in garage), and a few odds and ends. Very sweet ride, wins trophies at every show it's been to, and is insanely fast...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have a 1969 Charger R/T SE, Y3 Creme yellow with a Tan vinyl top. It was my first car purchased in 1978, delivered papers in it every morning...people always knew when the paper arrived. Still own it, built a hobby garage in the backyard several years ago to house it while it undergoes a "refreshing" not a restoration. Body is all original, block blew up in 1983, came close to getting a Hemi for it, but ended up installing it with another 440 magnum from another charger r/t that lost a contest with a telephone pole, and stored it afterwards in my dad's storage garage (he has a 10 car garage in his backyard to house his toys) 30 years later it is still stored, but it gets started up occasionally to ensure the block doesn't freeze up.

Interior (tan leather) has been redone, New vinyl top is ready to install as soon as i finish the front fender repair (found old damage that had been fixed before i got it and never knew it was there-when i stripped all the original paint off to prepare for its first repaint). Have a new stripe ready to install. The replacement 440 magnum has 69k miles on it, so have chosen not to rebuild it. (the hood stripe package is not an actual option, it wasn't available when mine was built on sept 4, 1968, but i wanted it so put it on when i painted the body) I have all the parts for it, just have to do some more minor body work on the rear passenger quarter panel, welding in a patch panel, and then straighten a small ding on the rear behind where the bumper fits on.

To my knowledge, it is the only Y3 Tan RTSE car to currently exist, it is the only one in the charger registry. It is also one of the earliest RTSE's made, although i know of a couple earlier models, so it isn't the first, it was one of the first few to come out the factory. It has low back buckets with no headrests, the headrests didn't come available till November i believe. I have a build sheet for it to prove its options, and the fender tag is full of codes, with only room for one more on the tag. It has the AM/FM stereo with fader control, right side mirror, left remote mirror, manual windows, no defroster, no sunroof. 727 column shift with buddy seat. It also has AC, and the A01 convenience and light group, wheelwell chrome and rocker trim.

Love your turquoise charger r/t, I have a 1/18 or 1/24 scale hot wheels charger r/t that color. It was a special collector edition model miniature. Maybe i can take a picture of it for you.

·
Registered
954 Posts
ive got a awesome 73 challenger with a 440 727 auto,its sublime with a black vinyl top and T/A hood in flat black,also has a 70 r/t stripe down the side.i restored it on a rotissirie and the underneath is clean as a whistle and painted sublime also.wish i could figure out how to post pics!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have a '69 Charger SE with a 383 and 727 auto. It was my first car. ....unfortunately, its currently in disrepair and needs restoration.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like them big...
The 1970 orange polara convertible is mostly original, paint, top, interior and the 383 is original to the car but recently rebuilt. With 58,000 miles on the car.
The blue 71 polara brougham also is mostly original, paint,top interior and the 440 is also the original engine to the car, 79,000 original miles.
There is also another 440 1970 polara convertible in the garage that needs restoration.

The brown 71 Polara was sold to make room in the garage for the Challenger.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mopar or No Car

'68 Charger 440 (6 pack for now), 69 Road Runner Convertible (B7 Blue, 383 Auto on the tree)...and past: '69 big block satellite, '69 Road Runner, '70 Challenger R/T (383), & '69 Charger (440).

Never owned or drove a non-Mopar in my life and hope never will.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 69 Charger R/T S/E pictured here, nose to nose with my 10 Challenger R/T. Charger is a 440, column shift 727 auto, with factory A/C & the V88 code tail stripe delete (thats why it has no quarter panel stripe but does have the chrome & red R/T badges).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Owned quite a few musclecars over the years. All I have left is a 1968 Plymouth GTX. Former 440 4-speed car converted to 6-71 blown 426 hemi. Army soldier with wife and kids drove it to Alaska from Corpus Christi, Texas around 1972. Originally bought it for the Dana 60 rearend in 1978 but...

couldn't bear seeing it parted out. Original color was bronze but I repainted it gun-metal grey approximately 25-years ago. Getting ready to restore the original color plus yard out the blown motor in favor of a high-horsepower naturally aspirated Ray Barton hemi.

·
Registered
181 Posts
1969 Coronet 500 convertible here.

I know it has some non-stock parts on it, but IMO if its not a showcar, then who cares if its not 100% stock (and really what matters to me is, I dig it!)

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've got:
a 1968 Charger R/T - 440/four speed,
a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda - 340 (soon to be 5.7 Hemi) /automatic,
and a 1979 Chrysler 300 - 360/automatic.

·
Registered
483 Posts
1965 Plymouth Barracuda here. Not stock, but I like to drive 'em. I'm not nostalgic for single reservoir master cylinders or 4-wheel drum brakes.........

I used to have a 72 Dart Swinger (which I converted to a 4-speed w/Pistol Grip). That car was sold to a guy in England about 6 years ago. I also had a 67 Barracuda w/383 and a 4-speed as well, but the 67 was totaled while parked in front of my house. The 65 Barracuda was it's replacement 10 years ago.

I autocross it when I can, have been to Thunder Hill (road course) and make it out to the drag races occasionally. The car is set up for handling, which definitely doesn't do me any favors when I'm at the drags but it's fun anyway.

I'm currently building a 426 small block so I can have a bit more spunk in some of the straightaways at Thunder Hill, and for those Friday commutes. :bigthumb:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 106 Posts