Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering what speed these things shut down stock. It should be intersting to find out if it is different for some cars.

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
Just wondering what speed these things shut down to stock. It should be intersting to find out if it is different for some cars.
The R/Ts top out ~ 148-153mph. The limiting factor is wind resistance and the available power to overcome that.

Stock SRT 6.1s generally topped out at 173mph for an example in good health. The 6.4s will reach 182mph (manual) / 175mph (auto). In stock tune /tires/ gearing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The R/Ts top out ~ 148-153mph. The limiting factor is wind resistance and the available power to overcome that.

Stock SRT 6.1s generally topped out at 173mph for an example in good health. The 6.4s will reach 182mph (manual) / 175mph (auto). In stock tune /tires/ gearing.
Ok! Wow, they are a dang fast car! The boss 302 tops out at 260 KM/H.. Disable the speed limiter on the challenger and it is bye bye 302.. :pokeowned:

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
For the 2009 R/T's, the computer shuts you down around 149 mph (as was stated previously). I have heard reports that some who have used a tuner to remove the max speed restriction were able to get the car up to 160 mph (stock).

My car goes as fast as 65 mph on the highway (55 on rt. 22). :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Techco Supercharged R/T goes 160 so I imagine the tune that comes with the supercharger has overridden the factory settings at 160 its still pulling like a freight train. Does anybody know what speed the Techco tune cut off at?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
when I first bought mine it was stock expect for a 91 tune I had it over 160 its as far as it reads was going about 170 to 175 could of went faster the wife was scared so I slowed down lol

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Its not the speed limiter that's holding it back its drag. The car is drag limited at 175 MPH with the auto trans
A great thing to go watch is the top gear episode where they take a Vette, CTS-V and an 09 SRT8 to the Salt Flats. The Challenger is the only one that was failing reaching its top speed goal. Then a salt flat guru walks up and tells them to duct tape up the grill. They do it and bam goal reached.

Here's the video ha
http://youtu.be/vrKPPdTuk8I

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Top speed limiter on my 2010 RT is 166. Which is probably as fast as it will go with the stock tune. It was one of the things you can change with the predator.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
There are several mile races, the

Texas mile , Mojave Mile and others.some RT's hit 175 with little more than a tune.I hit 125 mph in 3rd gear when I hit my rev limiter which was set at 6200. The last record I read about was 205.7 in a forced induction Srt8.
Hemisam used to be the most helpful member on this site.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
There are several mile races, the

Texas mile , Mojave Mile and others.some RT's hit 175 with little more than a tune.I hit 125 mph in 3rd gear when I hit my rev limiter which was set at 6200. The last record I read about was 205.7 in a forced induction Srt8. Hemisam's 205.7MPH Modern Mopar World Record..Texas Mile Oct 2012 - YouTube Hemisam used to be the most helpful member on this site.
The RT dose not have enough HP with a tune to hit 175 mph. You need power to over come the drag created at that speed. You don't have it with the 5.7. In that 205.7 run with the challenger he was running 169 mph at the half mile.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The RT dose not have enough HP with a tune to hit 175 mph. You need power to over come the drag created at that speed. You don't have it with the 5.7. In that 205.7 run with the challenger he was running 169 mph at the half mile.
I wouldn't be so sure, a stock 6.1L will do 170. It doesn't take much to get similar power out of the 5.7L with bolt-ons and a tune. Under the right conditions I don't see why 175 wouldn't be possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts