Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually don't run down to the dealer for every warranty issue as soon as it pops up, I wait until I take it in for the oil change and bring
The issues up, don't want to be a PIA but I get the rude, condescending, arrogant service writer that doesn't have the time of day for you. I guess I should feel lucky they let me bring my car to them, that's the impression I get. You spend 50,000 on a car and should get a little common courtesy, maybe I'm expecting too much. Rant over

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,056 Posts
I usually don't run down to the dealer for every warranty issue as soon as it pops up, I wait until I take it in for the oil change and bring
The issues up, don't want to be a PIA but I get the rude, condescending, arrogant service writer that doesn't have the time of day for you. I guess I should feel lucky they let me bring my car to them, that's the impression I get. You spend 50,000 on a car and should get a little common courtesy, maybe I'm expecting too much. Rant over
Life's too short to suffer insufferable dealership service depts. If this one isn't providing the level of service you would like, take your business to another one. If they fail to impress, go to another.

It may take a while, but eventually you'll find a good one, and when you do, stuck with them because they'll take care of you.

It took me 3 tries before i found my current go-to dealership service dep't, but they were worth it, as i have nothing but praise for them.

And evidently the word got out, because they stay so busy nowadays that it's hard to get an appointment less than 2 weeks out.

Good luck with the hunt!

Nuke

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My car has been in and out of the dealership here for 2.5 weeks now. I finally got them to do something other than say it has no codes, so they don't know what to do. I had to get DodgeCares and SRT involved, and it still took two days for them to drop the pan on the bucking and jerking transmission. Now we get to see if SRT can locate a valve body somewhere, since it's on national backorder. If they had listened to me when I said that I had been researching it for weeks, and that they needed to try the valve body that 70% of the complaints fixed, maybe I'd have my car now.

So, to answer your question, yes, I've never had a pleasant experience at a Dodge dealership service department.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
My last Challenger had to have a cylinder head replaced (under warranty) because of a casting defect, and there was a TSB for it, though it was somewhat kept quiet and not widely acknowledged unless your car was verified to be suffering from the root problem.

The symptoms leading up to failure were non-descript could be an indication of any number of things going wrong. But after some research and digging around, I found mention of the TSB and was finally able to narrow down my issue to being the very same one, with a high degree of likelihood I was right i might add.

Despite all that, when i took it in to let the pros deal with it, they still subjected it to a litany of test procedures and attempted fixes (detailed in TSB) that all eventually led them to where we were when i brought it in TWO DAYS prior.

At that point, they finally ordered and received the new head and put it on. All in all, they had my car for close to a week, of which only 1 day was spent actually replacing head.

My point with all that is that no matter how certain we might be about what's going when we bring our cars in, and no matter hw certain they might be we are right, they are going to have to go by the book for everything, especially diagnosing the problem to begin with.

And after skimming thru an official service manual for the these cars, i can attest to the overly involved, complicated, and strict procedures they have to follow for any and every service. Things really go to hell if the symptoms being diagnosed can't be easily classified and looked up in the list of procedures, as it sounds like you may have run into.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending the poor, overworked techs or saying you did anything wrong. I just think we should keep in mind what kind of system we all have to operate in. The techs are bund by a set of procedures they have to follow, no matter how obvious it might be what is wrong to everyone involved, including them.

We have the luxury of being able to guess at the problem and try different fixes if we want. And if that doesn't work, try something else., rinse, repeat.

They don't have that much leeway. If their service manual's steps for diagnoses does.t land them squarely on a solution, they won't be able to try it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've found the best approach, I've settled on the root cause and possible fixes for it, I do my best to make it so that the tech's diagnosing it later have no choice but go end up on the page of the service manual which covers my particular scenario.

Every situation is different, and yours may not lend itself to the approach I just described. But when it does, i always suggest the "help me help you" approach i just (tried to) describe above.

Nuke

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I know what you're saying, but I also know techs that work for Chrysler, unfortunately not around here, and they have verified that the long, dragged out scenario is a lot of time caused by techs or service advisers being over-booked, and us being sent away, hoping we won't come back. One of the guys I've been communicating with a bunch on this one gets really pissed when he hears what I'm dealing with. He said that they obviously didn't test drive my car before giving it back to me the first or second times. He said that as long as they are following procedure, they can continue to diagnose and even order entire transmissions (in my case) without contacting STAR and begging for permission, like the dealerships tell us. He said that if a car doing what mine was, was in his shop, it would have had a valve body before it was returned to me. It was VERY obvious that a relearn didn't fix it, and the dealership wanted me to drive is 5000 miles before determining that it didn't work. A transmission that is slipping and bucking and jerking immediately after a relearn needs to move down the page in diagnostics, not sent out the door to hope it eventually goes away.

After spending way too much time sitting in their service area, it's obvious this place wants to sell oil changes, brake jobs, and transmission flushes. They were super worked up about how horrible my rear end lube looked, and wanted to show it to me, so I could see all the metal. Then when they found out the car was still under warranty, it's no big deal. It was quite an about-face.

I'm told that none of them really want to do warranty work, because they make less money, but come on... If you don't want to fix the cars, don't sell them.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Yeah, the place you're dealing with now sounds like something's amiss...maybe there is a high turnover rate for the techs, so none of the advisors completely trust the techs enough to let them do what needs to be done, or maybe the techs are just cashing paychecks until they find something else, who knows...but I've dealt with some professional service depts over the years, and unfortunately that one doesn't sound like they're there yet.

Hopefully they'll get their stuff together soon and resolve your issue, but their lack of progress thus far certainly doesn't foster any optimism they will :ugh:

Good luck with it nevertheless!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
From what I can tell, the good techs never stay long around these parts. They are in demand and can make better money in larger markets. And at this dealership, at least, the advisers appear to be trained to push fluid changes, and shrug off warranty work.

One thing I also find weird at this dealership is that they make you wait for the adviser that booked your appointment when you're dropping off your vehicle, even if three others are sitting there, not helping anyone. I have had to wait, more than once, for my adviser to get freed up, just so I could hand her my key. Now THAT'S service!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Im lucky I got a great service department and a good dealership to work with. I get all my work on my Challenger done and some on my Jeep and they didnt sell me either.

I do notice they dont really play the corporate game as in they dont do surveys etc for Fiat they told me they dont care. I have ask about giving them a good rating etc and they said they dont need it but thanks.

I deal with one service writer but if hes busy the others jump right in. I also notice the same techs in the last 3 plus years so that tells me turn over is low.

I asked about warranty work and under the table I was told if done correctly they make out on it. The air bag deal they would send the guy out to the parking lot on nice days to do one they had bought a whole pallet of new air bags when the recall hit.

I do also no the word "on the street" is they waranty/fix the cars the big dealership in town cant seem too. Guys i met at cars shows with problems I send to them.

Like Nuke said keep looking for a good one and base that on your next purchase.

The whole fix it matrix I could go off on a rant about,I work in Industrial Maintenance, but in a nutshell most people cant troubleshoot ,problem solve without one. I have a "discussion" with the engineers about this about monthly.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I'd love to find a better dealership, but the choices are getting fewer and fewer as the dealerships combine, and are bought by large corporations. I already have to drive to the next town over to get to the closest dealer, and any others would require me taking a day off of work. Or at least partial day and car rentals. It would be one thing if you knew you could drive an hour or more aaway, and actually get the car back and done that day. But everything seems to take a few visits, just to convince them there is an issue, and then waiting for parts, etc. It's been a month since I originally took my car is for erratic transmission issues. It took four visits to get them to finally take me seriously.

I may see my car again, someday, but the dealership has had it for a week and a half this time, waiting for parts that were supposed to be here Monday, but aren't. Maybe next Monday, now. And this is with me getting SRT and DodgeCares involved.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
So what needs to be replaced/fixed on the transmission, the valve body?

Is it the old A5 or the new A8 trans?

If all you need is another valve body from an A5, I'll make you deal:

1a) I will procure one around here, and
1b) drive to your location and swap it out with the trans in the car.

All I ask in return is:

2a) 2 hrs or 250 miles of driving the car myself (which ever lasts the longest), you know, to 'test it out' >:)
2b) as much cold beer as is necessary for me to get through the procedure.

And don't worry, I will make sure to allow enough time to elapse between finish and test drive for the effects of 2b to be out of my system! 0:)

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Valve body is what they're trying this time. 2015 A8. They pulled the pan over a week ago, and it is sitting there, waiting for the valve body. From what I gather, they released a revised valve body in July of 2015, and my car was built in early May. Hopefully, it will solve the problem.

Then I need them to figure out why there was metal in the rear end when they drained it.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
as a rule we always road test the vehicle with the customer, its amazing how many times the customers cannot show us a problem.....
Luke

·
Registered
491 Posts
Valve body is what they're trying this time. 2015 A8. They pulled the pan over a week ago, and it is sitting there, waiting for the valve body. From what I gather, they released a revised valve body in July of 2015, and my car was built in early May. Hopefully, it will solve the problem.

Then I need them to figure out why there was metal in the rear end when they drained it.
Trust me I know i am lucky!

·
Registered
491 Posts
as a rule we always road test the vehicle with the customer, its amazing how many times the customers cannot show us a problem.....
Luke
My perspective is that's true but remember the owner is in the car a lot more hours then you are. A 10 minute test drive doesn't always equate to 8 hours a week drive time.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I'm sure that happens a lot. My issues don't happen every single time I drive the car, especially the violent bucking, but I can definitely recreate it. I had it doing it before we left their parking lot. When they tested it before I took them for a ride, they said, "it shifts, so it's fine". I didn't say it didn't shift. I said it shifts erratically, or slips. They didn't try to recreate the situation, like I described to them. Then they went for a ride, and I showed them what it was doing, which they said it shouldn't. Then they relearned the transmission, and didn't attempt to recreate the situation again. As I was leaving the dealership, I could tell nothing changed. I had to take it back again, and again, and eventually get DodgeCares and SRT involved to get them to even drop the pan. They kept saying over and over, since there were no codes, there was no problem.

On the other end of the spectrum, I used to work at a service station, and an older lady brought in a land yacht, and asked me to take a peek at her brakes, because she heard a strange noise, and wanted to take a look at it right away. When I pulled the front wheel, I was blown away to find the pads completely worn away, and it was metal on metal, and you could see THROUGH the rotors. You could see the fins, and out the other side. The strip of rotor on the outside and the fins were all that was holding the rotor together. It was amazing. I'm pretty sure she was hard of hearing. I also can't imagine it wasn't sort of strange feeling when she applied the brakes. That was the only time I actually said that I honestly could not let he drive the car off the lot. That was scary.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
My perspective is that's true but remember the owner is in the car a lot more hours then you are. A 10 minute test drive doesn't always equate to 8 hours a week drive time.
agreed, except that if we can't duplicate with or without the owner the chance of resolving the issues are slim......its not uncommon for us to place a senior tech in a vehicle and with permission let him drive the vehicle home for a few days.....have several that live more than 25 miles from work.....

also there is a lot of variances, the way someone drives, the terrain and what's around the terrain....as we get more and more technologies, we are discovering a lot of interference between technologies

for example recently we had a customer that intermittently would have a tire pressure sensor advised of a low tire.....3 different dealers worked on this, every sensor and monitoring portion replaced.....and still was doing it......by chance we discovered the bluetooth headset she would wear in the car was causing interference with the wireless signal....we politely requested her to stop wearing and using it in the car, so far the issue has not returned......

Luke

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Yeah. I work in IT, and I'm surprised that radio interference isn't causing more issues everywhere.

We recently discovered that running the microwave causes the WIFI on our DVD player to fail. Netflix down!

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
anytime a customer describes to us a weird intermittent driveability issue, we ask what do they carry, items attached to their keys, you should never have anything on your keys that may be interfering or sending a signal, no pass keys like the ones you would use to get into a secure area, etc

we have seen spark plugs and coils caused a temporary emp which would cause the vehicle to stall or stumble, never sets a code since it reset the pcm

Luke

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,852 Posts
If you ever have Sirius/XM bump your satellite radio, they tell you to turn off any bluetooth devices before they send the signal. A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
If you ever have Sirius/XM bump your satellite radio, they tell you to turn off any bluetooth devices before they send the signal. A Guy
They will also tell you that your tin-foil hat cannot stop them from reading your thoughts, but I know for a fact that some designs of tin-foil hats are effective at blocking their mind-scanning devices. It has something to do with the wavelengths of the radio waves or something...the radio waves...GET IT?!?!

Hold on, SHHHH...I think they're trying again to get at me...BRB....

:surprise:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts