Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time finding the right new wheels for my car... I've searched dozens of websites, looked through the entire aftermarket wheel thread, and I still have not found "the wheel"...

My car needs new tires so I thought I would get new rims so I can put much larger wheels on the rear (even a little taller than the front to have a little rake). I like the Project 6GR wheels, but I am working through some questions about them (their sales guy Erick has been real good by the way), and I am not yet convinced they are for my car.

So... as I was looking at the car tonight I thought maybe I should just have the back wheels widened to somewhere around 10" or 11". Has anyone tried this? As you can see from my picture I have the black pocket Alcoa wheels.

Thoughts, suggestions, are all welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Factory reproduction has that wheel in 22x10. Style 61 I think. Call them. I know a guy that just bought style 62 in the same color as yours

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Factory reproduction has that wheel in 22x10. Style 61 I think. Call them. I know a guy that just bought style 62 in the same color as yours
Thanks, but I'd be more interested if they had it in 18". I'm old... I like smaller wheels, but you didn't know that so thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Reactions: georgethedog

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing a widened, forged, wheel is good for, is using them for plant stands.
That's kind of where I am at... especially considering the cost.

Thanks all for posting. I'm going to keep trying to find the right wheel for my car.

Ideas on wheels other than ones that look like the old Cragars and Viper wheels are appreciated (I had a 2003 Viper and just want something different).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,664 Posts
The only thing a widened, forged, wheel is good for, is using them for plant stands.
Explain this? Weldcraft and Eric Vaughn widen forged wheels that are used in racing, even Bonneville?

A Guy

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I was gonna widen mine but all said and gone cleaning up welds dismounting mounting and powder coating and New rear tires was gonna run almost 2000. So I ordered bronze demon wheels 2 nights ago for 900
You have to REALLY LOVE your factory wheel to go they the process and money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was gonna widen mine but all said and gone cleaning up welds dismounting mounting and powder coating and New rear tires was gonna run almost 2000. So I ordered bronze demon wheels 2 nights ago for 900
You have to REALLY LOVE your factory wheel to go they the process and money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, just too much money. I'm going shopping again... I'll probably sell mine after I find something. Only 6K miles on them.

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
Weldcraft widened mine a few years ago. At the time there were not many options for wider wheels. That and they all looked like crap compared to my stock, Black Vapors.

I spent $500 tracking down two Black Vapor take offs. I drove them up to weldcraft and ponied up $500 for the widening. As far as the weld goes, I didn't have it finished. I haven't had anyone that has looked at them say anything negative about it. $1000 isn't cheap, but I like the stock look and have received many complements on them.

I run a quality spacer with extended lug nuts which give me more than the required thread engagement. Nito 315s would just rub at the bulges at 3 and 9 o'clock in the wheel wells. They just barely scuffed, and only during high speed cornering. Rather that hammering the bulges down, I dropped back to 305 Nitos.

I've thought about a set of the Brass Monkey repos. They look good, imho, and are reasonably priced. But, everyone has them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weldcraft widened mine a few years ago. At the time there were not many options for wider wheels. That and they all looked like crap compared to my stock, Black Vapors.

I spent $500 tracking down two Black Vapor take offs. I drove them up to weldcraft and ponied up $500 for the widening. As far as the weld goes, I didn't have it finished. I haven't had anyone that has looked at them say anything negative about it. $1000 isn't cheap, but I like the stock look and have received many complements on them.

I run a quality spacer with extended lug nuts which give me more than the required thread engagement. Nito 315s would just rub at the bulges at 3 and 9 o'clock in the wheel wells. They just barely scuffed, and only during high speed cornering. Rather that hammering the bulges down, I dropped back to 305 Nitos.

I've thought about a set of the Brass Monkey repos. They look good, imho, and are reasonably priced. But, everyone has them.

That's a great looking car and set of wheels! Thanks for the first-hand comments!!! Looks like they just added an inch just to the inside of the center line of the wheel. A couple questions...

Would it be worth adding 1 1/2" - 2" instead now that you have done this?

I'm not sure why the need for the spacer since the additional inch was added on the inside (other side of bolts) wouldn't the wheel still go on the same? What the heck am I not seeing... am I just turned around... LOL Anyway, what size and brand spacer did you use?

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
That's a great looking car and set of wheels! Thanks for the first-hand comments!!! Looks like they just added an inch just to the inside of the center line of the wheel. A couple questions...

Would it be worth adding 1 1/2" - 2" instead now that you have done this?

I'm not sure why the need for the spacer since the additional inch was added on the inside (other side of bolts) wouldn't the wheel still go on the same? What the heck am I not seeing... am I just turned around... LOL Anyway, what size and brand spacer did you use?
Thanks, George!

1" was added to the back of the wheel. This moves the tire closer to the inside of the wheel well where it can rub. The spacer then moves the wheel out a bit, away from the frame. Make sense?

I'm not sure about adding any more to it. You'd have to go with a bigger spacer for sure. You'd probably wind up needing longer wheel studs. The way it sits now the tire is just inside the lip of the well and it doesn't rub.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, George!

1" was added to the back of the wheel. This moves the tire closer to the inside of the wheel well where it can rub. The spacer then moves the wheel out a bit, away from the frame. Make sense?

I'm not sure about adding any more to it. You'd have to go with a bigger spacer for sure. You'd probably wind up needing longer wheel studs. The way it sits now the tire is just inside the lip of the well and it doesn't rub.

Got you. I thought there would have been enough room for an extra inch on the inside... wrong!

Anyway, what size spacer did you use and what brand so if I do this I can be set up and ready. I assume that my black pocket Alcoa SRT wheels are built like yours so I would need the same... Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
Got you. I thought there would have been enough room for an extra inch on the inside... wrong!

Anyway, what size spacer did you use and what brand so if I do this I can be set up and ready. I assume that my black pocket Alcoa SRT wheels are built like yours so I would need the same... Thanks!
It's pretty tight back there. I did take a heat gun to my wheel well liner and pushed it back against the metal as much as possible. I'm not sure it was necessary, but it was very easy to do.

I'm running a Motorsport Tech spacer. Their name came up a lot when I was looking at spacers and are regarded as the best. I'm not sure of the size. I've posted it here before and will have to search for it. (I'm at work on mobile right now) Motorsport also carries the extended lug nuts. I emailed them telling the what I was doing and they knew exactly what I needed.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thats a comment form a guy that doesn't know what his is talking about. Thousands have widened their wheels and very happy with no issues. Thanks for your worthless input.

What, are you going to widen a forging with a weld. I have personally seen these widened wheels fail. They are untested, garbage.

Thanks for your opinion. Sorry it isn't a very informed one.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,664 Posts
Yeah, that's the same as driving the Challenger around. Point is, both companies safety records are excellent. It's one thing to say there are liabilities, another to suggest it can't be done safely. A Guy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts