Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after trying to make these 20" RSA's stick again last night at the track, I have decided this is a waste of time. I have been successful with them a few times, but it is a crap shoot every pass.

I know a 17 or 18 would be much better because of the sidewall and the availablity of tires, but I am thinking of picking up two more classic rims and having some 20" drag radials mounted. That way the car looks right and I could run them all the time unless making a long road trip.

Now (today) I will be getting the duster back tot he track, i doubt I will run the chalenger more than 1 maybe 2 times a month.

I am just not into changing tires at the track anymore and that is why i went to a drga radial on my duster 5-6 years ago and haven't looked back.

Any input would be appreciated. I searched and just couldn't find much on use of the 20's.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I know guys running the NT05R in the 315 with good results, but you need some 10" rims for them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. yeah, I guess I need to do some homework. I really hadn't looked at sizes. In my mind I just assumed there would be one that would work with these classic rims although I am not even sure how wide the are 8"maybe?. If I have to buy a completly different rim, I might as well go to a wheel that I can use a tire with more sidewall.

I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
NT05R's work great depending on how much HP/Tq you're putting down.....Track and Street. I ran 315's on the SRT8 9" wheels for both Track and Street and rolled consistant 1.55 60's and 11.1XX 1/4's. Once I boosted above 8PSI....I had to find an alternative!
G

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I just want to get something to get a decent 60'. I have been playing with this car, but finally ran the Duster today and realized how much I missed speed and ET. LOL

I will probably run the challenger 3-5 times a year at most.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ron,

I run 20 inch DR's all the time. I run Nittto NTO5R's and last season I ran Nitto 555r's. I have a stick car and jsut rean all 11.73 with a 1.78 60ft. I just bought a set of Weld's 17x9 with M&H tires for my car but Weld sent me 17x10 so I haven't ran them on the car yet.

I found out last night that a rolling burnout was good enough for the Nittor's, I think most people get em too hot. I have a line lock and used to use that to heat em up....but last night I ran my fastest time witha simple rolling burnout.

Need to run em anywhere between 20 and 24#'s depending on track conditions. Last night I was running em at 23#'s I have ran them as low as 12#'s but the car will only bog and break axles. (Speaking from Experience, I have 100 passes on 20 inch DR's and race every weeekend when the car is not in the shop). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ron,

I run 20 inch DR's all the time. I run Nittto NTO5R's and last season I ran Nitto 555r's. I have a stick car and jsut rean all 11.73 with a 1.78 60ft. I just bought a set of Weld's 17x9 with M&H tires for my car but Weld sent me 17x10 so I haven't ran them on the car yet.

I found out last night that a rolling burnout was good enough for the Nittor's, I think most people get em too hot. I have a line lock and used to use that to heat em up....but last night I ran my fastest time witha simple rolling burnout.

Need to run em anywhere between 20 and 24#'s depending on track conditions. Last night I was running em at 23#'s I have ran them as low as 12#'s but the car will only bog and break axles. (Speaking from Experience, I have 100 passes on 20 inch DR's and race every weeekend when the car is not in the shop). :thumbsup:
Awesome. thanks a bunch. I hear ya on getting them too hot. I see a lot of guys burning them down. I run street radial tires on my duster and I burn for a few seconds and roll out. Been 1.29 60's with them and they hook awesome, but I see guys get them too hot and spin away.

I will be looking into those tires for as much running as I will do with this car.

thanks again for real world experience with them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No problem Ron, iuf you have any other questions just hit me up on a PM and I can give you my phone# and I can get into more detaill with you if needed. Like I said I run every weekend and I have tried a ton of different things with these tires.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Weld racing 17X9X115mm wheels

Yes, You need the high pads to fit. Ordered the Weld wheels from Jim's Racing Tire 1-800-281-0409 free shipping, lugs and no sales taxes. Wait time of 3 weeks for build. Rear wheels are 71MP-7090W63A if you plan to add bigger brakes or have an SRT you'll need the High pads (HP)to clear. The fronts are 71HP7070W42A. I should have gotten the 17X10 they will fit the rear. I thought I had a problem with the STP larger sway but when you fit them before tires are mounted you need to put a jack under the hub arm to raise and it level the hub. The sway bar clears by a good 2". Call Greg or Gail at Weld Racing they can help you out with the wheels then order from Jim's. $483 per wheel.

since,u guys are talking wheels and tires,will the 17 welds fit over calipers on srt. thx

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 17x10 will not clear the rear sway bar on an SRT no matter how high you jack the rear up....when its on the rack and the 17x9's barely clear it.

Weld sent me the 17x10 and they didn't fit I now have the 17x9 and they barely clear I will have some passes on them after the weekend and I will tell you all how it goes. R/Ts aren't a problem frm what I hear.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The 17x10 will not clear the rear sway bar on an SRT no matter how high you jack the rear up....when its on the rack and the 17x9's barely clear it.

Weld sent me the 17x10 and they didn't fit I now have the 17x9 and they barely clear I will have some passes on them after the weekend and I will tell you all how it goes. R/Ts aren't a problem frm what I hear.
I have the Weld 17x10,bought through HHP.They fit fine,you need to jack the rear wheel at the lower control arm,and then put the wheel on.The sway bar comes closer to the wheel,when you let the suspension hang.

·
Registered
112 Posts
AS I said the 17x10 Weld's RTS's willnot clear the factory sway bar on an SRT.

and we jacked the car up until it was lifting off the rack and they still didn't fit. I got them from HHP as well......none the less they sent 17x9's and they fit fine.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 17x10 fit fine with a bigger sway bar.You need to have the car on the ground and jack up the rear control arm.It's hard to compress the spring fully,sitting on a lift.When I test fit mine with the suspension hanging, it would hit the bar.Give it a try,unless the 6 speed suspension and bar are different?Other guys had the same issue,took my advice and it worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
It could be the 6spds are different. We tried it both ways and they wouldn't fit at all....I have 17x9's ow and they barely clear and I mean barely.....don't know what its going to do when I turn a corner. There's less than 1/8 of an inch of clearance.

The 17x9's are on the car now and I will be running them this weekend I'll let you know how it goes. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I know a 17 or 18 would be much better because of the sidewall and the availablity of tires, but I am thinking of picking up two more classic rims and having some 20" drag radials mounted. That way the car looks right ...

Thanks
Now this is just my opinion mind you...but the car "looks" right with 17 or 18" wheels on it, not the 20's.
Since you have an R/T, just put the "right" size wheels on it. The best thing about an R/T is that you CAN put 17 or 18's on it. They look better and run better on the track. Just put a big meaty tire on it to fill up the fender well, keep the pressures right and you'll launch like a champ!
PLUS less weight, I don't see any reason to fight logic on this one. IMHO that is...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts