Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally upgrading wheels and tires to Chrome Demon reps, 20x9.5 all around. I know a 275 (even 305) summer tire will still not give me all the traction I need with my power level and future power goals. As of rn I literally spin 3rd gear rolls at 70mph, dry.
Tires I'm looking at are 555g2 front and 555r2 rear
Both in 275/40r20
I know they're a new tire, so has anyone tried them out yet? Will they last a solid 8-10k miles if I drive normal?
The other tire I was looking at is the NT05 Max which is more of a road course tire, so I may sacrifice slightly in traction but I'm not sure which would be better in wet conditions and mileage.
Anyone with experience with either of the two, or even a similar tire like the old 555r let's hear it.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts
I have Nitto NT05r, I drive to the track and back with them. I may put them on for cruise nights but I would not want to get caught in the rain with them.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,330 Posts
Id not recommend any Drag Tire for Daily they are too soft of a compound and if you get stopped or happen into rain or slick road your gonna have hands full fast.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,000 Posts
While I often drive to the track in nice weather with my M/T drag radials I wouldn't recommend them for a daily driver. When it gets cold they aren't exactly the most stable of tire and there isn't much in the way of groves to help you when it rains. Much better to run regular street tires most of the time and save the drag radials for track day IMO.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,295 Posts
I'm finally upgrading wheels and tires to Chrome Demon reps, 20x9.5 all around. I know a 275 (even 305) summer tire will still not give me all the traction I need with my power level and future power goals. As of rn I literally spin 3rd gear rolls at 70mph, dry.
Tires I'm looking at are 555g2 front and 555r2 rear
Both in 275/40r20
I know they're a new tire, so has anyone tried them out yet? Will they last a solid 8-10k miles if I drive normal?
The other tire I was looking at is the NT05 Max which is more of a road course tire, so I may sacrifice slightly in traction but I'm not sure which would be better in wet conditions and mileage.
Anyone with experience with either of the two, or even a similar tire like the old 555r let's hear it.
I did a ton of research when looking for my setup. I just went with 9.5 with 275s on the front and 10.5 with 305's on the rear running the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. I read reviews and looked at all of the specs. Also watched YouTube videos of reviews, one guy actually did 0-60 runs between the 555r's and the 500's and the 500's came out on top. Long story short take a look at the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's

·
Registered
873 Posts
All the time every day.

Charger: 18” fronts with mt sportsman skinnies up front, 17” rears with mt street ss tires (305)

Challenger: 17” fronts with a skinny 225 street tire, 15” rears with a 325 mt street R.

Charger gets more daily driving but I street both of them rain or shine. The street ss has better rain driving of course. I get about 14k miles out of either set with some light drag strip use (burnouts).

They really aren’t so sloppy in the rain like everyone thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,795 Posts
Heck even Nitto 555 have terrible traction if you live in an area where temps drop below 60F. Throw in some rain and they easily lose grip on moderate turns.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts
better check, something I forgot to mention, my Nitto05R (Same as what is on the Demon except mine are for 20" rims), you can not use them in cold weather, they will crack and come apart.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
Drag radials are not ideal for daily driving at all. In cold weather or rainy weather you will not have full control and can be in danger. Not to mention those tires do not last very long.

I daily drive my scat pack and use the stock 275 Pirelli tires and those have worked out just fine for me.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts
I have the NT555G2's on the rear of my ride, and they suit me just fine for normal driving. They are not drag radials, but they are performance tires. I'm in the process right now of getting drag radials, and they most likely will be the NT555RII's from Nitto. BTW, good drag radials are good for about 6,000 miles minus any burn outs...

Reactions: Nubs

·
Registered
2020 R/T Scat Pack 1320 edition
114 Posts
I have a 2020 Scat Pack 1320 edition which came with Nexen Tire N-Fera SUR4G Drag Spec tires... 275/40/20.

I have only 2500 miles on the tires. Have no trouble driving in heavy or light rain. Comments about drag spec tires not handling good in the rain is way off.

When I first got caught in the rain I was paranoid about hydroplaning but the more I drove it was obvious the tires was taking the rain very well.

I have tested line lock, launch control, and trans brake in order to get familiar with each function. Since the testing I have already rotated the tires because of abuse on the back tires...lol

Once this set is wore out I will buy another set. I need to have max traction because of people wanting to race....lol

Go ahead and tell me it's wrong but I already know.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input, I should've said these would be march-september tires and I will have the stock wheels on stand by. Just don't wanna be switching wheels out every day if I know I can safely drive a radial in the rain.

All the time every day.

Charger: 18” fronts with mt sportsman skinnies up front, 17” rears with mt street ss tires (305)

Challenger: 17” fronts with a skinny 225 street tire, 15” rears with a 325 mt street R.

Charger gets more daily driving but I street both of them rain or shine. The street ss has better rain driving of course. I get about 14k miles out of either set with some light drag strip use (burnouts).

They really aren’t so sloppy in the rain like everyone thinks.

14k miles? That's way better than I expected and what I hear from others especially for the M/T. But I guess when a tire is worn out is different for everyone, how bald were yours at 14k?

·
Registered
873 Posts
14k miles? That's way better than I expected and what I hear from others especially for the M/T. But I guess when a tire is worn out is different for everyone, how bald were yours at 14k?
The suspension on the challenger is squared in the rear (0° camber) so at 14k they still have a little left in them. I swap them out on the Rs because the grooves are gone and you can’t see how much you have left.

On the charger the suspension has stock camber (bit negative) so the inside edge wears out long before the tires are actually gone gone but they are down enough to swap out to me.

SS get better dry traction with age as the inside groove fades out too.

Reactions: JD40

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have Good Year 275’s not the crap F1’s either in the back of my SRT8 on stock 9” wheels and I too still spin in 3rd gear. I would like to upgrade to a 9.5“ wheel and go 305’s or maybe a 10” wheel and go 315’s. I was thinking the bronze or hyper black Hellcat rep’s.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have Good Year 275’s not the crap F1’s either in the back of my SRT8 on stock 9” wheels and I too still spin in 3rd gear. I would like to upgrade to a 9.5“ wheel and go 305’s or maybe a 10” wheel and go 315’s. I was thinking the bronze or hyper black Hellcat rep’s.
You need 10"+ for 305s and 10.5"+ for 315s. Some tires require 10.5" for 305 and 11" for 315 too so check with the manufacturer on the wheel size they recommend. Some guys run 305s on 9.5" but it's not getting the optimal contact patch

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
After a few conversations with the Nitto rep, went with a more streetable NT555 R2 315/40ZR/18 on all corners, replacing the factory Nitto drag radials. That frees up two sets of tires for the strip...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After a few conversations with the Nitto rep, went with a more streetable NT555 R2 315/40ZR/18 on all corners, replacing the factory Nitto drag radials. That frees up two sets of tires for the strip...

HOT ROD ON
I'm assuming you have a demon?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts