Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 A8 scat that I daily drive about 60 miles a day. And I have had the mid muffler delete now for about a year. I have to say I'm starting to miss the toned down stock exhaust. It seemed to be far less droney?? And daily driving my car has made me really sensitive to it when I've had a day or just want to relax on the way home.

And now when I cold start the car and the idle is high, its vibrating something under the car very badly. sounds like the exhaust is rattling on something plastic. Not metal on metal. I wiggled the exhaust by hand and was not able to hear it contact anything under the car. I'm starting to think its actually in the mufflers now. Anyway, I'd almost prefer to get another stock exhaust to put on.

Anyone else getting sick of their mid muffler delete??

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I had a 1988 Ramcharger 5.2L with the Mopar performance exhaust, then I had a 2001 Ram 1500 with a cat delete and Flowmaster 44, then I had a 2010 Challenger R/T with Blastin' Bob's rear resonator delete. I've always loved changing exhausts to improve the sound over stock. But with my 2016 Scat Pack, this is the first vehicle I've owned with which I haven't felt the need to modify the exhaust. I love it as is.

I think Dodge really struck the right balance, by getting a nice Trans Am series race car tone out of it under load and high rpm, but not annoying or intrusive at all on the inside. My old Ram with the cat delete and flowmaster was borderline obnoxious. It did sound good, but I wouldn't want my Challenger to be that loud.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Honestly, the more I drove my T/A this past summer the more I came to appreciate the TAME exhaust.

When I bought the car I was pretty sure I wanted to swap out the too tame sounding exhaust. I've come around on it though. So many cars and trucks out there that are LOUD. Not the least of which might be my other summer ride with old school Hooker headers and Flowmaster exhaust. It's a nice alternative to have the Challenger and it's comparatively whisper quiet performance to drive instead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I could see how the delete would be annoying after a while. I opted for the DynoMax race bullet swap. Ever think of welding some in? Smooths out the exhaust note.

Just curious though, how could your muffler be making noise/vibrating as you say, if you deleted them?

Mine is doing that also on cold starts for the record, I haven’t tried tracking it down yet. I just got the car new in September, it only lasts a few seconds. I’m going to look for it when I give it the first oil change.

Have an 18 SP M6?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Got rid of mine on day three of ownership and don't miss them one bit. On cold start up, my neighbors know that I have left for work. If I really want to be a dyck, I'll open up my cut outs.>:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, just got a 2015 R/T
(Plus, track pack)
Really thought I wanted it to sound more like an STR8, or at least not seem so stock “tame” sounding.
I’ve been trolling the posts for days now trying to decide what to do.
Mid delete, resonator delete, cat back, muffler swap,etc.
I’m now back to square one.
I want a little bit of deep “growl” but hoping what I do will not sound awful inside the car when I take a trip.
I just want a little deeper sound than stock.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is exactly why people should leave their stock factory cars the Hell alone.

Just kidding!

My Hellcat mid-muffler delete was Not enough for me, so I added the NOWEEDS exhaust diverters.

I also have an '05 Ram with long tube headers / hi-flo cats w/ Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler.

It is a toss up which is louder at start up and I love driving them both. >:)

Reactions: OffDutyPete

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did the dynomax bullets and have Zero regrets. I love the way the car sounds, even if my neighbors dont at 0330. IMO muffler delete would be too much. Incidentally I also noticed the vibration for a bit when cold starting since the temps have gone below 45. Only lasts half a minute or so. meh.

Id try putting on the short mufflers where the OEM ones were and see if that helps you learn to love it again. The mufflers are like $25 each shipped from Amazon and install is less than $100

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the first car I have ever owned that there is not one thing I want to change. To me, the exhaust tone and level is perfect. The active exhaust is a great balance and allows the car to be heard on a hard throttle pull and quiet when cruising down the highway. Perfect.

Reactions: 16B5Shaker

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Dodge was very smart that they added a special knob that you can turn to make any drone go away. Crank up a nice song on the radio and adjust the volume control to the desired setting. Sometimes I just leave the radio off and listen to the music of my exhaust !:grin2:

·
Registered
474 Posts
The mid muffler delete w/ mini bullets isn't really that much louder until WOT. Little louder at startup,idles a little louder and loud at WOT. I drive in track mode also so active exhaust always open, but nothing crazy loud. Nice cheap mod for nice rumble IMO.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Ok, just got a 2015 R/T
(Plus, track pack)
Really thought I wanted it to sound more like an STR8, or at least not seem so stock “tame” sounding.
I’ve been trolling the posts for days now trying to decide what to do.
Mid delete, resonator delete, cat back, muffler swap,etc.
I’m now back to square one.
I want a little bit of deep “growl” but hoping what I do will not sound awful inside the car when I take a trip.
I just want a little deeper sound than stock.

I went with Blastin' Bobs' MF axle backs. They're the quietest setup he has and I find them just right for me.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
I did the mini bullets with the magnaflow axle back and it's a pretty good compromise between mid delete and stock (on a 2013).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a '15 A8 Scat Pack, I didn't want the extreme loud either. I left the stock exhaust and just put on the Exhaust Valve kit that keeps the valves open, sounds just right!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a 17 A8 scat that I daily drive about 60 miles a day. And I have had the mid muffler delete now for about a year. I have to say I'm starting to miss the toned down stock exhaust. It seemed to be far less droney?? And daily driving my car has made me really sensitive to it when I've had a day or just want to relax on the way home.

And now when I cold start the car and the idle is high, its vibrating something under the car very badly. sounds like the exhaust is rattling on something plastic. Not metal on metal. I wiggled the exhaust by hand and was not able to hear it contact anything under the car. I'm starting to think its actually in the mufflers now. Anyway, I'd almost prefer to get another stock exhaust to put on.

Anyone else getting sick of their mid muffler delete??
Do an axle back exhaust. This deletes the resonators for a nice lower tone with the wild sound. IMO, but I'm not a fan of that raspy sound which sounds obnoxious. I'm considering some Kooks headers. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I replaced the stock CAI tube on my T/A (5.5) with a MOPAR tube I had painted. That eliminated the big plastic baffle & the car now seems very slightly louder - a more moderate step than any exhaust changes. An added bonus was opening up access to the stud that was under the baffle so I could mount my catch can in a much better spot.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts
I debated on doing this for a while and ultimately left it alone. I'm going to put some catless mid pipes on next spring, so that might make it a little louder. I think the stock exhaust is pretty cool as is. It could definitely be louder, but I like it how it is right now.

These cars have come a long way from years ago when they first came out. The stock exhaust on the 2009-2014 R/T automatics were pretty sad. Giant suitcase mufflers under there, giant resonators, etc. The 6 speeds were a little louder. These new ones with the active exhaust sound great.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts