Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it'll never be a Z06 and that is perfect to me. It would be the best handling production muscle car though. I don't see that it would cost relatively much to implement the options into assembly. Throw in a 426 Hemi (which would cost more to develop)... and that would definitely get me to trade up.

As to the handling of the Challenger vs others,* yes the bar has been raised since these articles but the HC does better than a '15 Mustang GT (better than a Boss) in this MT figure 8 fwiw.*2015 Ford Mustang GT First Test - Motor Trend

And here against a 14 ZL1.*http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodge/challenger/2015/2014-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat/

Iow, not too shabby.* Same test.

If those were good handling, why is the HC and 392 not considered at least good in the handling dept? Are they at the top? No. Are they designed to be? No. Very capable nonetheless.

I'd like to see a 392 or a 426 widebody for a last hurah for the naturally aspirated fans to see what one can do. CF components being available for order from the factory would be outstanding.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
704 Posts
I love my ‘15 392, but no Challenger will ever be “the best handling production muscle car”, too big and too heavy and too weight-biased in front. The figure-eight “handling” test the slicks like to use is pretty meaningless for most normal drivers - it’s not the type of handling we want. It is used only because it is easy to do and easy to compare different cars. Most enthusiast drivers want sharp turn-in, quick transients, high-g forces, and strong, balanced braking. While a custom Challenger can maximize these, a custom Mustang would outperform it. Enjoy the big LX for what it is, a capable nostalgia trip with max cool factor. I do.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
A wide body 392 car could very well happen towards the end of this model run. A nice touch for the last of these bodies, and it would use up parts that are in the system.

Don't hold your breath of a factory 426 ever hitting production. That was killed years ago, and the HC motor was developed. Never say never, but the 426 will never be a production engine option, guaranteed. :(

I'm sure that in the last year of this body style, that there will be several "special edition" cars, or at least some nice options offered as a "goodbye" to the Challenger as we know it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
GotRPM, my opinion is there is no other muscle car besides the Challenger. I already stated it will never be a Z06, etc.

Also, I was addressing the lack of track testing (on the available p-zero summer Tires) of the SRT 392's improvements for '15. Those being the brakes, stability programming in track mode, & the slightly wider rubber. It's also almost 200lbs less over the nose than the commonly tested Hellcat. They also commonly test the Scat Pack and perhaps they are considering price. That is fine. I was merely pointing out that the SRT 392, along with every other Challenger, is commonly dismissed as a poor handler due the weight. I guess if it is against current sports cars that are typically lighter and less compromising on suspension and tire setup, that's undoubtedly true. This is of course stock versus stock. I am not talking about mods nor would I. It's easy to deduce that even if the Hellcat was just keeping up as far as transitions and the lateral acceleration, that the SRT 392 with the same tires would do even better, but obviously being eaten up on the straightaway against a HC.

I understand the transitions with the additional weight is a lot to overcome but all I am looking for is an improvement, not to be the best. A Miata is really light and by comparison the current 2018 Mustang GT performance pack is portly at 3850 lb (and is just now catching up 2 Scat Pack and SRT 392 drag strip ET's by the way at $45k+ despite 460hp and 10spd auto). Does that mean that you're not supposed to try to keep up despite weight disadvantage? That doesn't make sense. The same logic applies. It's more difficult and it takes more work to overcome physics but it's possible. The only disadvantage that I can see would be the cost to replace 305 versus the 275.

Upon release, if a 15 Mustang GT (that's considered a good handling car) and a much heavier Hellcat, using the same type of testing of handling ability (which a figure 8 does have transitions), comes out even... how could one say that the SRT 392 wouldn't be able to best the Mustang? It wasn't tested. I'm not talking about lap times because the Hellcat can make up on the straightaways.

Is it a stretch to call the current generation of Mustang or Camaro a sports car? That's to each their own to decide. I tend to believe that is the case now. It's not the same car as the 14 GT M6 I had.

I'd just like to see a SRT 392 widebody with 305's all the way around from the factory before the next generation arrives seeing as they have already developed the parts. I don't think it would be relatively expensive to offer the widebody from the factory's point of view. The option is already there and it's not unusual for the options to trickle down, so why not? Why stop trying to keep up? The cars are fun and better handling along with the room, comfort, and power is nothing but a plus for many Challenger owners and anyone else who is out shopping looking for a great all-around car.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm aware that the 426 is very very very unlikely after keeping tabs on the community since the Challenger introduction. I don't see why they would create a 426 after putting all the development money into the Hellcat and Demon engines.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just saw somewhere that dodge is going to offer/sell a demon kit I think it's called that includes fender flares for around 1200. and fender flares and hood for I think 2800. That's a lot cheaper than trading up/sideways hopefully that's true I guess we'll find out. I Found it at moparonlineparts.com if anybody's interested.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it looks like we'll see widebody 392's. There is a new engine coming in the Challenger lineup... but let's hope it's an upgrade. There are hopes and rumors for a bump in power of the 392. Maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Or, maybe this summer...

Can't say that I agree.

You're in the know, so it's great to see that FCA is pushing the 426 into production. They said it was dead, and developed the HC motor, but the "426" is iconic!

Always enjoy this time of year with your tid bits of what's coming

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
A wide body 426 T/A would quench a lot of thirst's, I probably couldn't afford one but would still love to see it. The chances of being faster on the circuit than the competition would be slim to zero but it would be nice to compete with them.
I love my SRT but think a T/A could be built lighter for this purpose.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I would love to see a 426 Hemi in a new Challenger but, would it fit? It would definitely make it nose heavy if you use the old Elephant block... I think that would be TONS better than a Gen III based motor. But since you know that would never happen a Gen III would be acceptable. :D Put it in the R/T N/A and sell them for under 40K, you won't be able to keep them in stock! Put a Blower on it for the Hellcat, that would be your SRT. Make an SXT V8 model and make 392 an option on those. That would be awesome!!! Use up the remaining 5.7l in the AWD GT V8 and keep the V6 SXT SE and GT V6.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Only one day it would even make sense to announce or offer it...

Of course, if I worked in marketing, I would announce a special edition for order for the 2019 model year, make it the SRT 426 Barracuda, and put the engine as an upgrade option for the scat pack and above for 2020. And it would only make sense to announce the first part at the end of April... on the 26th.

But hey, they could be waiting on a chassis refresh to see if it will take the torque, hold up under testing, and take the lessons learned from the aftermarket (a la the Demon.)

While I’m not a Mustang or Camaro guy, I think there’s some things about our cars that pushes them up in the market segment beyond looks, and primarily I think it’s starting to become obvious that our cars can take a hell of a beating on the stock parts, that aftermarket support is creative, bold, and available, and that the reputation for Dodge is being built more on excitement that has been earned more by audacity than pure profit consideration- “screw it, let’s build something exciting because we can,” seems to be attracting more market share from the likes of us.

I have no inside information, and it’s pure speculation. I would think though, that if Mopar has something so iconic as the 426 already captured in the imagination of so many enthusiasts, that it would be a hell of a “one-up” tactic to release a motor under that badge, and that the question is now only “when and how” to capitalize on it, not “if.”

I just wouldn’t expect it as soon after the demon, widebody kits, a potential chassis swap coming in the next few years, etc. I’m sure a suggestion has been made, a marketing and technical study done, and a workgroup put together to look at feasibility and strategy on this.

Hell, just from the component manufacturers in the aftermarket, how much difference would it cost over the entire line of potential builds? How much would someone be willing to pay under a Hellcat and over a Scat Pack to have that fender badge alone for a year or two from the factory?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts