Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I don't understand anyone getting upset over "Hellcat", but then I couldn't believe people complained about the Dodge Demon either.

Some people just aren't happy unless they're finding something to complain about.

The Navy had a jet in the 1950's called the F-3 Demon. They also had a WW2 dive bomber called a HELLdiver.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Nice, not only do we get great auto information here, we get to learn history as well. The members here are a fountain of knowledge.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
As a matter of fact, all WW2 aircraft that flew over 10,000 feet, were supercharged. Superchargers were developed for that purpose. The air is thinner at altitude, so they needed a system to keep pressure near sea level atmospheric pressure, otherwise, the aircraft could not fly high enough to clear mountains. It also helped bombers stay above flack during high altitude missions. The fact that superchargers helped increase speed at lower altitudes was a side effect.

As for the Hellcat name, it honors the F-6F Carrier based fighter that "won the Pacific." Dodge code names it's motors after military aircraft: AH-64 Apache, F-15 Eagle, etc. Incidentally, the original Ford Mustang was named after the P-51. The Horse was added later.

As for the P-51 being the "King of the Skies," ....it was a the F-4U Corsair that was the "King of Pacific Skies." It had great performance, but the P-51 could not have served on carriers. Carrier aircraft had to be built heavy in order to survive carrier landings. This toughness helped the aircraft sustain battle damage as well. Naval piston engine aircraft used radial engines. This was because they were air-cooled. These planes could operate with more than one piston shot out.

The P-51, Spitfire and Me 109 had liquid cooled engines. These motors had a narrow cross section, allowing the plane to be thinner, smaller, and have less aerodynamic drag. But these engines were fragile. If a coolant line was taken out, the plane would overheat...and not fly.

Naval Aviators needed an engine that would not quit. If you lost your motor, and ditched at sea during WW2, Odds are you would not be found.

The Hellcat is a perfect name for the Challenger motor. Like Naval Fighters that were HEAVY and BIG....(needed big motors to obtain performance similar to the P-51... The P-51D used a 1400 SHP Rolls Royce motor.....The Hellcat and Corsair had 2000 HP Radials), The Challenger needs a big motor to keep up with today's Mustangs.

I love your expertise and knowledge on aircraft and military engines. You and I would have hours of great conversation. The Double Wasp Radial was the absolute best engine of WWII. Depending on the model, anywhere from 2,000 to 2,400 horse power. It wasn't unheard of for some of these aircraft to come back from missions with a cylinder or two sitting in the cowl of the plane and the pilot having no idea he wasn't running on all cylinders. So, yeah, I LOVE THE HELLCAT NAME, and Grumman for the development of the plane that kicked the Japanese's ass.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Hellcat's a great name. As long as they don't call it a Gerbil... Those little guys can never win. Polar opposite from the honey badger (loved that one, apparently the Chuck Norris of animals!). ETA: some language NSFW.
:up_to_something:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
New - important - interesting - information

If ever the new supercharged Challenger is to be named after a WWll military aircraft, it HAS to be "THUNDERBOLT".
During WWll, Chrysler designed and built a replacement engine for the Republic Aviation P47 Thunderbolt. It was to replace the Pratt and Whitney - "Double Wasp" radial engine in the existing P47's. THIS WAS THE FIRST HEMI HEAD ENGINE THAT CHRYSLER EVER BUILT. It was a 2,220 cubic inch, aluminum block, V-16, both supercharged and turbo charged. Official dyno results had it at 2,500 HP, back room story was more like 3,000 HP. During one test flight, it's
reported that the pilot called for too much boost at one time, and ripped the blades off the propeller (GO HEMI !!) The aircraft was the first propeller driven, to achieve over 500 MPH in level flight. As the end of the war was coming, it was not put into production, but Chrysler was sold on the "hemi head" design, and obviously used this to great advantage in years to come. Five engines were built, and three are in museums today...Thought you should know your "HEMI" history!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
THUNDERBOLT has already been used by Ford Motor Company.

Ford called their Fairlane factory lightweight drag cars "Thunderbolts".

When I hear "Thunderbolt" I think of a Ford Fairlane....

·
Registered
398 Posts
If hellcat is just an internal name for the SC engine, what will the Challenger model be named that has the hellcat engine? MOPAR 15? Super Bee? What about that special model, T/A?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was never hot on "Challenger". It sounds like it is in second place.
I never liked SRT8 even though I own one. (Especially since they put that on jeeps and wagons)
R/T is the best..
The SE sounds like a Toyota model.
Hellcat is good..sounds tuff..
Ford has the best names like "Super Snake" and "Cobra Jet".
I agree .. the SRT8 should have been the R/T named. it just brings back memories and it sounds badass! also the R/T badge should have never been used in a minivan!!!!!:nono:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think this might help.

MY2015 SRT Challenger "Refresh" - Announcement Spring Fest 2014 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

and this

2015 Challenger information thread - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

1. You are looking at the finished version of the supercharged Challenger front end. This is more than likely a 392 front end with cutouts in place of the fog lights to test airflow to the front brakes (similar to what was on the white 392 spy shot).

2. The fascia will be model specific to the supercharged version. The Hellcat fascia will not have fog lights.

3. The supercharged version will have it's own name, not SRT or R/T related. It will be an SRT vehicle and the badging for SRT8 will be changed to just SRT now that it is an official brand (similar to Jeep SRT8 to Jeep SRT). Hellcat is the name of the engine and not the car but it will still be a Challenger SRT with a special edition label (ACR, T/A, GT, etc)

4. You will see this car at SEMA in November.. Ralph Gilles stated it will debut at Springfest 9 and also debute at the New York Auto Show.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
woaw i cant believe how dissapointed i am.. love the engine but the look.. i thought it would be amazing and I was ready to trade in.. but after looking at it.. i like the other front better (old one) any body has rear shots?

·
Registered
398 Posts
woaw i cant believe how dissapointed i am.. love the engine but the look.. i thought it would be amazing and I was ready to trade in.. but after looking at it.. i like the other front better (old one) any body has rear shots?

That is a pretty good Photoshop but I don't think that is really it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Personally I think that if the power is there as indicated, the name "HELLCAT" would be as cool, appropriate, intimidating to other cars and simply SCREAM :BADASS !!!! as anything
out there PERIOD! uh just my opinion. I mean it just says "Back Off MF*^%^%$&*())%&er!!!

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
They won't call it Mongoose because they know they won't be able to take on Ford. All rumors aside, Fiat won't let it make more power than the "La Ferrari" and I highly doubt Dodge will let it make more than the Viper's 640. In which case, 625 is more than likely what we will see. I don't care, I wouldn't buy it anyway. I would rather buy a base r/t for $28k and stomp the Hellcat's nuts off for less when I build it. I already have the car I'm just waiting on funds.
Your going to be waiting longer than you think. HP cost big money. If your going to build an RT to beat a hellcat your going to spend a lot of money. Better buy the hellcat instead.

·
Registered
247 Posts
good luck with buying a R/T and stomping the Hellcat's nuts off ... lol ...
this is going to be sooooooo funny when the info get's released ... I can't
wait to see the back peddling ...

81 - 100 of 101 Posts