Dodge Challenger Forum banner

ANYONE ELSE NOT LIKE THE "hellcat" NAME?

30K views 100 replies 61 participants last post by  Dadstoy 
#1 ·
Ever since I first heard the name I did not like it. First, I would never own a car with any reference to hell as part of it's name, but thats just me. More importantly, a name that somehow references the supercharger seems more appropriate. A name that followed in the Mopar tradition, would better suit the first supercharged Hemi production car. Off the top of my head, the name SIDEWINDER came to mind. A sidewinder is a venomous pit viper, that is in the rattle snake family. The correlation between the sidewinder's winding motion by which the snake motivates, and the intertwined side by side action of the Roots type supercharger vanes seems like a natural.
One other name was TWISTER, sort of a take off on Duster. Again, this name would reference the Roots supercharger's twisting vanes.

Any thoughts on other names? What are your feelings on the hellcat name?

#2 ·
I feel like sidewinder would look like dodge is trying to copy shelby (cobra)

#4 ·
first of all, who called it or nickname it???
since Chrysler for the most part barely admits the existence of a supercharged motor.....lots of rumor has always

by the way, i have seen the test mule, the supercharger in question is basically a magnuson with a recess machined cavity near the top rear with a bright blue urathane product filling the cavity, in the shape of the Mopar omega M which clearly identified the branding, almost got my hands slapped in the hood when trying to take a picture

Luke

#12 ·
Kind of like Arrington's car?

#6 ·
I agree... once it is out it won't have that name... internal names very rarely make it to the public.. Case in point.. the new V6 engine was called Phoenix.... once it became production it was known as the Pentastar V6...

Once the marketing guys get a hold of it that is when names become part of the product.

Reactions: SRT8U
#31 · (Edited)
#13 ·
I didn't like when Dodge changed the Demon to a Dart Sport. I'm hoping the Hellcat has 666 horsepower :satan:

#14 ·
Non-issue here. I immediately thought of the WWII fighter and liked it.

Attachments

Reactions: Captain Awesome
#15 ·
recent names:

"Eagle" - '09+ 5.7
"Apache" - '11+ 6.4 SRT
"Hellcat" - '15+ 6.2 S/C SRT

#16 ·
I read an article some years ago about "what if" the muscle car era hadn't ended due to high insurance costs and gas prices. Supposedly Chrysler had the the names Dodge "Hellcat" & Plymouth "Maelstrom" at the ready to replace both Daytona & Superbird respectively. Big V8 engines up in the 600-700 HP range were envisioned however it was never meant to be. I guess the name's okay, i've heard better but I've also heard worse as well. Just as long as the performance backs up the name sufficiently everything should be okay!

#17 ·
With Eagle being another fighter (F-15) and Apache an attack helicopter, I'm seeing a pattern! There's worse places where they could get their inspiration. :yesnod:

#18 ·
What's wrong with Challenger?

#23 ·
name never resonated with me....sounds like something a couple of overpaid marketing types came up with after hitting a dead end on the name so they decided to throw some beers back and this convo ensued...oh man dude, we should like call it like the hellcat...oh yah man that sounds sooo bad a***, that rocks, let DO it.

#29 · (Edited)
They won't call it Mongoose because they know they won't be able to take on Ford. All rumors aside, Fiat won't let it make more power than the "La Ferrari" and I highly doubt Dodge will let it make more than the Viper's 640. In which case, 625 is more than likely what we will see. I don't care, I wouldn't buy it anyway. I would rather buy a base r/t for $28k and stomp the Hellcat's nuts off for less when I build it. I already have the car I'm just waiting on funds.

Reactions: RoostKing
#30 ·
There ya go... Beat it with a sleeper RT named Hemi Challenger.....

#37 ·
Beats this for damned sure!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.