Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time had finally come where my 2015 Scat needed new tires. The car has 25k miles on it and it's a pleasure vehicle that I drive around on weekends. Bone stock and never been in a wreck. I'm the original owner and put every mile on the clock. This car was never ever abused. The tech said the suspension is all good as well.

All of that said, when I went to pick up my car, the tire shop said that my rear driver's side will need a +1 camber kit from the dealer. Apparently he couldn't get it any better than -1.1, which is literally a hair outside of spec. Factory camber was set at -1 which was a hair inside of spec.

Anyhow, when I called the dealer asking for this kit, they seemed to be very well versed in this condition. The guy on the service desk phone said that he hears of this on cars built from late 2014 to mid 2015. My car falls in this range. Have any of you run into this issue?

I put P-Zeros all the way around in the factory size in case you're wondering. The shop I use does road force balancing.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Did the tires with 25k miles have any unusual wear patterns?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the tires with 25k miles have any unusual wear patterns?
No, they wore out evenly.

After digging around the site for a while, I see that others have run into this problem as well. What a pain in the ass this has turned out to be.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if the tire shop used the wrong specs? This is a copy of the before and after values. They used an SRT spec sheet but I have a Scat Pack. I thought that I read somewhere that rear camber values are different on Scats vs SRT8 vehicles?
IMG_3090.jpg

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,496 Posts
My '16 was eating front tires on the inside. A toe adjustment cured it.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
288 Posts
Hey TheHorse13 here's another thread with additional information for you.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey TheHorse13 here's another thread with additional information for you.

Thanks. That is the exact thread that I read one time where they have a set of alignment values that say Challenger except SRT. If I look at that attachment, my camber technically is fine at -1.1 on the driver's rear and -0.6 on the passenger rear.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed
42 Posts
I think you might like how it is at -1.1
I'm at -2.5 front and -3 on the rear and my PS4S street tires have wearing pretty good with about 15k hard miles on them. On the back toe seems to make more difference than camber.
20210618_224755.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 2020 Dynamics Package Scatpack with only 3k miles on it couldn't hit the factory spec rear camber without replacements parts. There is clearly some mismatch in parts and setup from the factory. Bound to happen with all these models and options.

I told them I don't mind the extra negative camber in the rear because I live in the twisties. But it sure doesn't help with my wheelhop problem.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
288 Posts
Thanks. That is the exact thread that I read one time where they have a set of alignment values that say Challenger except SRT. If I look at that attachment, my camber technically is fine at -1.1 on the driver's rear and -0.6 on the passenger rear.
Even with the readings posted on that thread,with my front driver wheel having the camber and caster a bit off my wheels never have worn out unevenly. The car has never pulled one way or another. In my opinion as long as you don't have any uneven wear on the tires you should be fine.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
943 Posts
I wonder if the tire shop used the wrong specs? This is a copy of the before and after values. They used an SRT spec sheet but I have a Scat Pack. I thought that I read somewhere that rear camber values are different on Scats vs SRT8 vehicles?
View attachment 1024905
I believe Scat Packs use SRT aignment specs.

On my Scat Pasck camber was out of spec (negative) on both sides and toe was out on left side. While my street tires appeared to be wearing normally the drag radials had excessive wear on inside edge. I installed Spohn rear control arms then aligned the rear end to zero negative camber. Street handling improvements were noteiceable, excessive wear in inside of DR's was eliminated and MPH improved by 1+ MPH.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the replies so far. My take-away is that since the car has never had uneven wear issues, the negative camber going from -1.0 to -1.1 isn't going to cause me any issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank you for all the replies so far. My take-away is that since the car has never had uneven wear issues, the negative camber going from -1.0 to -1.1 isn't going to cause me any issue.
Camber doesn't destroy tires... improper tire pressures and positive/ negative toe destroy tires.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Camber doesn't destroy tires... improper tire pressures and positive/ negative toe destroy tires.
Exactly. In general I believe people get too concerned about the camber being negative, particularly on these cars because you can see it. It might accelerate wear to some extent, nut it's rarely the primary cause of uneven wear. Unless it's to extremes like those ridiculous "Stanced out" ricers, where it's nearly riding on the sidewall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2020 Dynamics Package Scatpack with only 3k miles on it couldn't hit the factory spec rear camber without replacements parts. There is clearly some mismatch in parts and setup from the factory. Bound to happen with all these models and options.
I had this same issue after a repair. Just so people know this isn't a rare thing. The dealership realized the Scat Pack-specific part was different only after they couldn't get the factory specs in the rear. They said, for some reason, that it wasn't an obvious thing when they ordered the parts, either. Maybe it has been changed since then.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I had my 2020 SP WB aligned today. Steering wheel was off to the right, car pulled left. Now it rides awesome:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Even with my driver's side camber a hair out of spec, it rides beautifully and straight as an arrow after alignment.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I had my 2020 SP WB aligned today. Steering wheel was off to the right, car pulled left. Now it rides awesome:

View attachment 1025134
Your rear toe was out. I road race a lot, that looked like it would have been a handful at WOT at high speed also. It still has more toe than you need for good traction. More flat and straight is better back there How did they adjust your rt rear camber?

Reactions: TheHorse13

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Your rear toe was out. I road race a lot, that looked like it would have been a handful at WOT at high speed also. It still has more toe than you need for good traction. More flat and straight is better back there How did they adjust your rt rear camber?
They did mention they come from the factory with more toe out than needed in the back. As for how they did it, you'd have to call them. The number is on the sheet.

All I know is she rides like a dream now. I'm looking forward to my drive to Knoxville TN from Portland OR next month!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts