Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under hood positive battery post cover. Yes, it too will need painting ;) It doesn't appear to be held down by the post nut, but I haven't really tried to get it off. Wondering if anyone has ever had reason to remove it?

005.jpg

006.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Yes, I took it off to deliver power to my LED lighting, and I broke a little piece of the plastic hinge so be careful! I'll look under the hood tomorrow morning to see if I can remember what I did wrong, and will post a reply.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It feels like it's really only held on solidly right around the Nut under the cover. I figured it's snapped on only, but don't want to break anything. A Guy

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
I went ahead and popped the hood to have a look. Yes, it all just snaps on, and its the part around the terminal itself that its secured the strongest. I broke the plastic at the hinge that gives access to the terminal because I thought that having it open and out of the way would help me to get the entire unit off. In retrospect, it doesn't help at all, and only makes you more likely to break the weak plastic there so don't do that lol.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,059 Posts
Take care!! It's a delicate little fragile thing...

And after a few years/few 100K miles, it will weaken and eventuality just break off at the slightest force applied to open it. At which point you can either replace the whole little plastic part that includes the cover, or you can repurpose a Ronson butane bottle's cap to do the job going forward.

Personally, I prefer the plastic Ronson cap, as it's fully functional, if not necessarily as pretty to look at. Others prefer form or over function and ridicule my butane cap. Their narrow minded mockery of me won't sway me a bit. I will continue to sport my red Ronson cap on my jump start post, and be damned proud of it!!

I look forward to urinating on their graves some day, once they have expired and have been returned to the earth...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, opening and closing it won't happen too much, and I have seen people make a new "hinge" out of small zip ties. Hopefully after painting, it will never be opened again :)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Yeah, opening and closing it won't happen too much, and I have seen people make a new "hinge" out of small zip ties. Hopefully after painting, it will never be opened again :)

A Guy
What if some poor, down-on-his-luck schmo comes up to you and asks if you can jump his car off using his battery cables...heck, he even offers to hook them up and keep you from being in danger, even momentarily!

You're just going to refuse and wave him off, possibly re-igniting his depressive tenancies, leading to a downward spiral of drinking, drugging, and womanizing which ultimately ends with him either in prison or a coffin??? All because you have a nice-looking, painted hootus/plastic cap that you don't want to possibly break by allowing him to jump his car and arrive at that job interview on time???

Man, y'all are some ruthless folks out there in Cali...but I won't fault you for that...I guess you gotta be hardened to live amongst all those earthquakes and tidal waves and Prius-drivers and such, huh... :bowdown:

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
or you can repurpose a Ronson butane bottle's cap to do the job going forward.
My dad says that butane is a bastard gas.

Attachment is a photo of me and my dad.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
Man, y'all are some ruthless folks out there in Cali...but I won't fault you for that...I guess you gotta be hardened to live amongst all those earthquakes and tidal waves and Prius-drivers and such, huh... :bowdown:
Nuke - CA probably has the largest populations of Prii amongst all the 'states. Be forewarned.

and they come in two versions:
-ones that drive below the speed limit on the freeway
-or the ones flying down the road, well above it. (seen a lot of that in So Cal)

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Yea, that positive terminal cap already broke on my car; sheesh, $40,000 for a two door car and they can't even provide quality plastic parts!

Paint it if you dare; it will only break your heart when the hinge cracks and the cap falls onto the belly pan, rattling all over the place, until you spy it in the rear view mirror bouncing on the road behind you...make sure you paint it a really bright color so you don't strain yourself looking for it.

As for Nuke and his wussy butane cap, Man Up 'Bro! Good thing you didn't keep your gas bottle caps in the same drawer as your wife's perfume...surprised we aren't seeing a cap like this one on your terminal:

I did the manly, rugged thing when my little red terminal cap broke; I threw it dismissively across the garage (banked it off of two walls and straight into the trash can) then ripped a strip of black electrical tape off the roll with my teeth, wrapped the positive stud in it, and called it a day. Another DIY mechanical repair performed for little or no cost, without having to call the dealer or post a thread on here asking for "...the part number"...BUILT, NOT BOUGHT!

...sheesh, you kids these day!

>:)

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Yea, that positive terminal cap already broke on my car; sheesh, $40,000 for a two door car and they can't even provide quality plastic parts!

Paint it if you dare; it will only break your heart when the hinge cracks and the cap falls onto the belly pan, rattling all over the place, until you spy it in the rear view mirror bouncing on the road behind you...make sure you paint it a really bright color so you don't strain yourself looking for it.

As for Nuke and his wussy butane cap, Man Up 'Bro! Good thing you didn't keep your gas bottle caps in the same drawer as your wife's perfume...surprised we aren't seeing a cap like this one on your terminal:

I did the manly, rugged thing when my little red terminal cap broke; I threw it dismissively across the garage (banked it off of two walls and straight into the trash can) then ripped a strip of black electrical tape off the roll with my teeth, wrapped the positive stud in it, and called it a day. Another DIY mechanical repair performed for little or no cost, without having to call the dealer or post a thread on here asking for "...the part number"...BUILT, NOT BOUGHT!

*takes notes*

Would office tape work? Also, can I use scissors or is that part of the ritual?

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
*takes notes*

Would office tape work? Also, can I use scissors or is that part of the ritual?
Office tape is acceptable as long as you don't use that jagged metal strip at the end of the dispenser to tear it; man up fancy pants!

Actually, the only other truly acceptable solution is duct tape, but I wouldn't expect you scissor-snipping Office Boyz to have any of that laying around your comfy air conditioned cubicles, with your lumbar supporting Herman Miller mesh-backed chairs. Why do you need mesh backs? You work in an office; you don't work up a sweat working in an office building, unless you count the 45 minutes you spend in the building's air conditioned, cushy-floored gym with your energy drink dispensers and fancy Cybex multi-purpose band resistance bow-flexing machines you parasites need to develop muscle tone...

...when I wanted to do anything pertaining to my muscles, I grabbed a shovel and dug ditches (okay, holes for my wife's landscaping...but have you ever tried to dig a hole in Virginia's clay? Full of dang rocks and 4,000 years worth of water...that shite is heavy!)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, so much pent up anger here :)

I did have to laugh though, I have a Herman Miller chair, lol. Got it 1/2 price. Got tired of buying a cheap chair every year or 2. I have NO AC, so it's been nice when it was hot >:)

A Guy

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Wow, so much pent up anger here :)

I did have to laugh though, I have a Herman Miller chair, lol. Got it 1/2 price. Got tired of buying a cheap chair every year or 2. I have NO AC, so it's been nice when it was hot >:)

A Guy
Don't know if it's Herman Miller, but mine's mesh-backed too, lol.

The one at home isn't so fancy.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts

I did the manly, rugged thing when my little red terminal cap broke; I threw it dismissively across the garage (banked it off of two walls and straight into the trash can) then ripped a strip of black electrical tape off the roll with my teeth, *wrapped the positive stud in it*, and called it a day. Another DIY mechanical repair performed for little or no cost, without having to call the dealer or post a thread on here asking for "...the part number"...BUILT, NOT BOUGHT!

That is one way to address the immediate problem of an uncovered jump post, but it would tend to severely limit that jump stud's future use as an electrical connection...which might be needed if it were ever pressed into service as...oh, i don't know, an electrical connection?

Sure, my Ronson fix is ugly, low-class, and easy to make fun of. However, in the past 3 months alone, I have used that same stud as a connection point for a float charger, a 12v air compressor, various lighting sources, and even a small power inverter from time to time. And you know what, each and every time I have used that electrical portal into my car's Tesla ghost, that same ugly, trashy red plastic cap from the butane can has been successfully disengaged and then re-engaged to protect the stud from inadvertent shorts and such.

Now I don't know about y'all, but it sounds like my Ronson hat has served me, and by extension all of humanity, quite well...in spite of, or perhaps in furtherance of its continued mockery here on this forum.

And that, gentlemen, is what the youngsters used to refer to as a FACE!! :browsmiley: A-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :eek:hyeah: :eusa_dance: :alfdance:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
yea, that positive terminal cap already broke on my car; sheesh, $40,000 for a two door car and they can't even provide quality plastic parts!

As for nuke and his wussy butane cap, man up 'bro! Good thing you didn't keep your gas bottle caps in the same drawer as your wife's perfume...surprised we aren't seeing a cap like this one on your terminal:

i did the manly, rugged thing when my little red terminal cap broke; i threw it dismissively across the garage (banked it off of two walls and straight into the trash can) then ripped a strip of black electrical tape off the roll with my teeth, wrapped the positive stud in it, and called it a day. Another diy mechanical repair performed for little or no cost, without having to call the dealer or post a thread on here asking for "...the part number"...built, not bought!

my hero!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
I was quite shocked to see an OEM part priced that low, and then i realized there is no need for Dodge to charge an exorbitant price for that part like they do all the other OEM parts on the car. What they lose out on in upfront profits from the sale will be made back several times over due to the sheer volume of sales those cheap things must give them.

If we all bought another one every time we broke the current one, they would not be able to crank em out fast enudf to meet the demand!

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
FYI: if the removal process involves dismounting that fuse box and swinging it in any direction or tilting it over even an inch, your ESP/BAS lights will be lit up at next start and run, basically leaving you without the automatic safety stuff until you recalibrate the sensor.

Luckily that isn't too difficult and can be done at home...at least it could on my 2011, you'd want to check if it's same for 2015+ models obviously

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
No need to worry, fuse box removal is not necessary to get the post over off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts