Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking of trading in my SE for a RT. I must say ive been very happy with my SE. I love the look of the Challengers so when I got the SE it was the only one in my budget at the time. However even though I really love my SE, there is just something in me that wants a HEMI and more power. I've been looking at a red RT classic but just not sure how much difference there are between the two. I've put a lot in my SE and Im just really confused on what to do right now. Anyone who has made the upgrade and help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I made the move. The power difference is EXTREME (at least using Autostick)! I'm glad I did. If I didn't, I still would have loved my SE though. I just couldn't see myself buying all these extra add-ons that wouldn't even get me close to the power of an RT. I thought about a Supercharger, but then you end up paying more than just trading up for an RT and having to deal with maintenance issues that most mechanics won't touch. Take your time, don't jump at every offer. Do your research!!!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I think it about everyday. Just having the right to wear that R/T badge on the grille is a feeling worth possessing. But then I come down to reality and say that I have the same basic body as the rest of the cars and when I sit behind the wheel, I would think the feeling is very close to any other model. I have leather. I spent two grand on upgrades to get the same stuff the R/T has, but still short on the Classic wheels and heated rear view mirrors. Would also like the push button start. Now I see the new SE's have a lot of the extras I had to add. I'm just a standard driver so I really don't miss the Hemi. But if you want that power, just do it. You won't regret it...so I've heard.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm not a convert, I bought an RT. Ironically, my original plan (about a year ago) was to get a V6 Camaro. My financial situation allowed me to go for the Hemi. I don't know why, but when I decided to buy my Challenger, I felt that was appropriate, at least for me. My previous car was a V6 2003 Mustang, so I can sort of understand the need and rationale for an "upgrade". I use the term in quotes simply because you, as a consumer, and perhaps a muscle car enthusiast, has to make the decision of committing to a greater monetary investment.

All I can say is that the improvement in performance, and I drive very conservatively, is worth it, if you feel the need to have that vast power potential. When merging with or maneuvering through traffic, I have so much more confidence. The Hemi power plant, combined with the esthetics and sheer bulk/menacing presence of the Challenger is such a source of pleasure for me, just getting in it going to work (this is my daily driver) makes my commute so much more enjoyable. I should mention that I consistently get 22-23 mpg with combined hwy/city driving.

I hope my input makes sense to you, and I must stipulate that having a Hemi does not make me a better person than someone who enjoys and loves their SE.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I made the move almost 2 years in a SE. won car shows with the SE and got it to turn 15's in the 1/4 mile. best gas mileage I got was taking it to Jersey to traded it in(got28 mpg on the way there)

as far as the RT, no regrets on the trade even though the gas milage is not like the SE, I still love the car.
my payments only increased by $25 a month and the insurance only increased $100 for the year.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ive been thinking of trading in my SE for a RT. I must say ive been very happy with my SE. I love the look of the Challengers so when I got the SE it was the only one in my budget at the time. However even though I really love my SE, there is just something in me that wants a HEMI and more power. I've been looking at a red RT classic but just not sure how much difference there are between the two. I've put a lot in my SE and Im just really confused on what to do right now. Anyone who has made the upgrade and help would be appreciated.
If you can sell your car for a decent amount or get a good trade in allowance then I say go for it. If you are craving more power then the RT will be a "sweet spot" for performance, value and fuel mileage (compared with SE's and SRT8's). The RT is not the best in any one category, but the overall "package" as a whole is a great value all things considered. You should test drive one to really get the "seat of the pants" comparison.:browsmiley:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
not sure what the dilemma is? if you want more power than the V6 offers, and a HEMI challenger, then your choice seem clear...at least to me

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went from a hemi R/T Magnum to a SE Chally. I knew there was going to be a significant power loss. I drive my Chally at least 60 miles every day. While I do miss the power at times, it would be cool to have another hemi. I bought my 2010 at the end of January for $24,000 less rebates. I got a cool car that is affordable and very practical as a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yeah, in March 2010 when I was shopping, my fully loaded SE had an MSRP of $29,600 and the R/T I was looking at at my local dealer in the morning was listed at $39,100. See why I bought the SE? Maybe this is what the OP needs to be talked in to?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I made the change

I had a 2010 Challenger SE base car, and found myself adding all kinds of things... 18" RT wheels, RT leather interior, RT gas door, RT fog lights, RT painted spoiler, RT leather shift knob, RT dual exhaust/rear valance.... I put 24,000 miles on it in a year, and loved every minute of it. But.... something about driving a "Muscle" car that is very light on the muscle always kinda bothered me. Anyway, I recently drove a 2011 RT.... that was it. Traded in the SE and now it looks and drives like I wanted from the beginning. The trade-in wasn't too painful either, I ended up paying around the same difference in price that I would have had I bought the 2010 RT, and the 11 has some neat features. Best wishes from a reformed SE owner. And no... I'm not insulting SE's or their owners.. everyone buys a car for their own reasons, but I knew deep inside that I always wanted the Hemi.... No point in denying it :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 2010 SE with a 27G option, Leather seats, and a Rally pack, when I bought it I went for the "responsible adult" version of a really cool car, It was my daily driver, Eibach springs, tint, rock chip protection, splash guards black with grey stripe, awesome car, exactly one year to the day, (last saturday) I traded it in for a RT classic with a 6 speed. as the kids would say, OMG, what a difference, now when that A hole with the camaro pulls along side, I won't just wave, LOL. But seriously, I've only had it for a week, and have decided it CAN'T be my daily driver, way to much fun. wish I could have kept the SE for a driver and have this for a toy, however, "the toy" (66 conv mustang) just became the driver. And in all honesty, had I not bought a black car, I probably would have kept it, but it was a bare to keep shiny, and I figured if I'm going for a new color might as well upgrade all around. the only sucky part, two days after I buy it, in the mail comes the discount coupon for a extra 500 bucks off on a new car. lol

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Congrats. All of SE owners are in the same boat. So, what color did you get?

·
Banned
811 Posts
Don't put another penny into your SE, and don't give it another thought. If you can afford to trade up, you owe it to yourself to do so. Trade it in today. You will thank me.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
In order to duplicate the thrust of the low-end grunt of the Hemi via engine output/gearing, you would need to launch an SE at around 4000+ rpm (naturally, that is out of the question on automatics). By the numbers, the SE running WOT at 4000+ rpm is what the RT feels like as it enters that 2500-ish rpm zone...is what that means. That should give you SE owners who frequently explore that 4000-5000 rpm range a little perspective of what awaits them if they decide to move to an RT. :)

You don't even have to "need" to have a use for 370-ish hp, to appreciate a Hemi. In everyday driving, it is merely the pleasure of toying with a readily accessible 200-ish hp w/o even having to reach past 3000 rpm. ;) You could go further for even more engine output, but there's really no need at that point. You've pretty much done what you needed to do, before becoming extremely conspicuous as a "traffic offender" ripe for police enforcement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts