Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install a set on an 09 challenger
the harness looks nothing like the picture and there are sections that make no sense to me at all
on the harness I have the parts labeled that I know how to hook up
I have no clue what to do with what is in the box

on the bulbs themselves there are wires that have molex pins on them, but there is no molex plug for them so I have no idea what to do with these either
any help ?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
HIDs in a halogen housing just don't work. The light is scattered. You blind every other driver and you still can't see the road.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not helpful, great opinion that you are welcomed too but not helpful

problem solved, cudos to AAC for tech support

·
Registered
63 Posts
HIDs in a halogen housing just don't work. The light is scattered. You blind every other driver and you still can't see the road.
Sorry but I do not agree with this statement. I had 6000k HID Kit installed in my wife's 2010 V6 and the lights are perfect. The road is lit up much better than the halogen and we have yet to be blind another driver.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I'm sure you lit up the road much better, along with the ditch, the sky and the oncoming traffic lane. Using HID bulbs with a halogen reflector does not give up a beam of light. It scatters more like a flood light.

This is not my opinion, this is fact or science of physics.

·
Registered
574 Posts
To amplify on what Dodge is saying--the shape and size of a halogen filament is radically different from an HID arc. There is a different reflector required for each and interchanging light sources in the same housing cannot result in correct light cutoff and distribution.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Sorry but I do not agree with this statement. I had 6000k HID Kit installed in my wife's 2010 V6 and the lights are perfect. The road is lit up much better than the halogen and we have yet to be blind another driver.
As mentioned, OEM headlamps are designed around the specific light source to be used. HID and halogen bulbs are quite different in nature. The shape, orientation and characteristics of a halogen filament vs. the arc of an HID bulb alone make it impossible to make an effective and safe "bulb replacement" solution without changing the optics/design of the housing. ....you can't use an existing halogen headlamp and expect it to focus/disperse the light from an HID source properly no matter how you position it in the housing.

The following link contains a comprehensive look at the advantages and disadvantages of HID's and why HID "kits" are a bad idea in a halogen application. It's definitely a worthwhile read (Daniel Stern is a reputable, respected source in the industry):

All About HID's

Here are a few other articles from his website that I also think are worth reading:

Blue Bulbs

Light Color

Superwhites

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sure you lit up the road much better, along with the ditch, the sky and the oncoming traffic lane. Using HID bulbs with a halogen reflector does not give up a beam of light. It scatters more like a flood light.

This is not my opinion, this is fact or science of physics.
Not to start a pissing contest but the lights project straight ahead, the ditch is not lit up,the sky is not lit up and oncoming traffic has yet to flash their lights. I also put a 600k HID kit in a 2009 Charger R/T with the same results. I cannot explain the science of physics but what you are saying is not the case. Maybe Dodge changed something. Many people have changed to HID kits with the same results as i have had.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Not to start a pissing contest but the lights project straight ahead, the ditch is not lit up,the sky is not lit up and oncoming traffic has yet to flash their lights. I also put a 600k HID kit in a 2009 Charger R/T with the same results.
The lack of people flashing their high beams at you is not proof of a properly performing lighting solution. In all honesty the problem is so widespread these days I don’t doubt people wouldn’t even bother. ….I don’t. As for the light being projected forward, I don’t doubt it. However, the issue is the incorrect beam pattern, hot spots, dazzle, etc. that an HID kit in a halogen headlamp can cause.

I cannot explain the science of physics but what you are saying is not the case.
....this is why I provided a supporting explanation as well as references to a reputable, professional source on the subject (a well respected lighting consultant) to help you understand. The "science" is explained (in detail) in those links I posted.

Maybe Dodge changed something. Many people have changed to HID kits with the same results as i have had.
….and the overall problem only grows bigger when they do. Again, just because people think these kits work well in a halogen application, it doesn’t mean they do. ….subjective observations and opinion be damned.

Dodge didn't change anything. In simple terms, what is comes down to is this.... Headlamps are designed around the light source. ….focus, beam pattern, cutoff, etc. are all factored into the design. If you change the physical characteristics of that light source you are changing those other aspects as well. The headlamp does not magically adapt, refocus, redirect, etc. You can’t place an HID bulb in a halogen reflector housing (or projector for that matter) and expect that it will perform properly. They are fundamentally different. ….although a halogen reflector housing is arguable worse than a projector in this respect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
….and the overall problem only grows bigger when they do. Again, just because people think these kits work well in a halogen application, it doesn’t mean they do. ….subjective observations and opinion be damned.

Dodge didn't change anything. In simple terms, what is comes down to is this.... Headlamps are designed around the light source. ….focus, beam pattern, cutoff, etc. are all factored into the design. If you change the physical characteristics of that light source you are changing those other aspects as well. The headlamp does not magically adapt, refocus, redirect, etc. You can’t place an HID bulb in a halogen reflector housing (or projector for that matter) and expect that it will perform properly. They are fundamentally different. ….although a halogen reflector housing is arguable worse than a projector in this respect.[/QUOTE]

What do you suggest as a way to improve the poor lighting of the halogen lights on the road other than replacing the entire housing etc. i do appreciate the education,don't get me wrong. I cannot see the effect of the lights infront of me all I see is the improvement the HID kit has afforded me in seeing the road.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What do you suggest as a way to improve the poor lighting of the halogen lights on the road other than replacing the entire housing etc. i do appreciate the education,don't get me wrong. I cannot see the effect of the lights infront of me all I see is the improvement the HID kit has afforded me in seeing the road.
….high efficacy halogen bulbs (i.e. Phillips X-treme Power +80’s, Osram Nightbreaker Plus +90’s, etc.). I’m not saying they will perform the same as the factory HID’s (they are inherently different after all), but they are usually a marked improvement over OEM bulbs.

Aside from swapping in a factory HID setup, another option would be to retrofit HID projectors (and the related, necessary hardware) using your existing headlamps. This requires quite a bit of skill and unfortunately, I simply don’t think many with this application have done enough of them to provide any real help. However, there are companies out there who provide this service.

Personally, I opted for the HID upgrade when I purchased my R/T. On the other hand, my daily driver is an ’08 Forester with halogen 9006/9005 (low/high). I have used both the Phillips and the Osram bulbs I mentioned earlier in this specific application and liked how they both performed. ….my last car took 9007’s and the lighting was admittedly quite dismal by comparison (partly due to the design of the housing).

I believe your application takes 9008’s (H13’s) although I don’t know if the Osram’s are available in that size. ….you might want to check. Anyhow, I did a quick Google search and found the Phillips listed on Amazon for $32 (twin pack) which is actually not a bad price (
Amazon.com: Philips H13 9008 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2: Automotive). The only reason I’m suggesting these two is because they typically get good reviews from those who have tried them. ....plus, I have personal experience.

Well, I hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts