Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been ALOT of talk around here about putting a tune in a car and if it voids the warranty or not. Has anyone out their had a warranty claim denied because they tunned their cars? If so was it a tune alredy in the predator or one you bought or made up? Please don't give me opintions on what you think it would do. I think that's been beat into the ground enough. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that most of are off work I thought I'ld send this back thru and see if anyone would say they had their warranty voided by useing a Predator.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
There was one ChallengerTalk member who had his warranty work refused and his car red flagged because the car had a tune on it before he brought it to the dealer.

On another forum, a few years back, Dodge actually asked a member to bring his car in for inspection because of the mods he was posting in the forum. He got red flagged as well.

Now, the law says that they can't simply void your warranty without proof or damage, although that doesn't stop many dealers from trying it. But like you said, we don't need to go there.

I think the best answer to your question lies with Diablo itself. If you go to the Diablo website, there, at the bottom of the page, it clearly states, "... not intended for use in emission controlled vehicles."

If you're on the fence about buying or using a Predator, best thing to do is to ask around with fellow Challengers owners here on the board about some of the dealerships near you and find out which ones are mod friendly and which ones are not.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about emission controls. We don't have that checked durring inspections. I emailed diablosport before buying the predator and they emailed me back with their Inc. logo signiture and said it wouldn't void the warranty to put a canned tune in the car. There's been alot of talk about it after I put my tune in and that's why I wanted to know if it's just talk or if there were any real cases of warranties being voided.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You need to read the Magnuson Moss Act.... Magnuson=Moos fro Dummies

His is a quote from the referenced site.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
But, the next paragraph is also important... So, take a few minutes and read thru it.

The bottom line is they will try to intimidate you and you need to stick your guns. But, remember who/whom has the deepest pockets and just how long it may take to get it repaired.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks that's good info.. I just don't know how much the PCM will tell them about what's happened in it. I'm sure it's not dumb enough to not show the last time programmed but if it doesn't show what was changed and it has the original back in it I don't think they can void the warranty. You can program other features other than performance options. It doesn't look like they have tried it to many times to people on here so I think I'll just roll with it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would restore my original tune before I took it to the dealer for any warranty work.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would restore my original tune before I took it to the dealer for any warranty work.
Not really an option for the forced induction guys. I haven't had any issues with the local Dodge dealer when I had my SRT4 with many mods on it. They put the Stage 1 PCM in it for me no questions asked even though I had a MAP/TIP clamp on it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
This really has been beat to death, sorry.

If you take your car into the dealer, and in their opinion the part that broke is caused by the tune, they can deny the warranty claim for that repair. So if you have a power window motor fail, they can't deny that claim, since a tune can't cause a power window to fail.

If the tune, for example, runs way too lean, and causes catastrophic engine damage, they can deny the warranty claim for that repair and request that Chrysler void the powertrain warranty. They cannot void the entire warranty. And it's important to note that the dealer cannot void any part of your warranty. The warranty is issued by Chrysler corporation, not the dealer. The dealer can submit proof to Chrysler and Chrysler in turn can void that part of the warranty, but not the dealer.

Your best bet is to talk with the dealer's service manager and see how mod-friendly they are. Then you can make your decision based on that, and not on conjecture.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry about bringing up something that has been beat to death but I've heard alot of coulda,woulda,shoulda on this subject but wanted to know if it had really happened to anyone.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
we have a dodge dealership jere in Florida that is a diablo dealer and is mod friendly ... very nice guys ... I dont knoe the name of the dealership .. but its in Davie Florida on University dr. ...... I met the service mgr. at the red letter dodge tour ... they held the Mopar club meet at their dealership

·
Registered
402 Posts
we have a dodge dealership jere in Florida that is a diablo dealer and is mod friendly ... very nice guys ... I dont knoe the name of the dealership .. but its in Davie Florida on University dr. ...... I met the service mgr. at the red letter dodge tour ... they held the Mopar club meet at their dealership
That's Rob Lambdin's university dodge. Their service is good, but the sales dept. is not so good.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can see if you are using an untested tune that you made up and leaned the engine out and burnt a piston but with the precanned tunes that come with the predator I don't see the issue. But my opintion isn't what counts.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
thats it 1sick ... Thats seems to be what I hear from everyone ... service a+ and sales f-

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
Yes there is a guy in my area that had the dealer kick back the expenses to him. A lifter was defective in his 09 R/T and they said it was due to the tune (Preditor) that the factory Red Line was raised thus over reving the engine. He paid big $$ for the repair. Also his bill shows notes reguarding Modifications and i would expect them to now try to flag every warranty issue going forward.:(

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
CT member Hemi Orange RT had posted in past. His warrenty denied from using Trinity. It was his power steering pump leaking. Said,, well you raised rev limiter and no warrenty on PS pump. Pump couldnt handle the extra rpm... I think thats bull sh!t.
But it happened. They new he had a tune in it. Had to, cause he was FI also.
Its not like were going from 6500 rpm to 12,000 for petes sake. So BS it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts