Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eyeing a 2020 Charger for my wife. However, this car has no NAV: When we plug in her Google phone with android, will the Android NAV pop up on the screen of the radio screen, like mine does in my 2020 with NAV car?
I don't want to buy her something with no NAV, and have to use the phone NAV.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,012 Posts
As long as Android Auto works similarly to Apple CarPlay, the phone’s navigation app(s) will present on the UConnect screen like they were native to the head-unit. I’ve been doing this with a 2021 non-Nav head-unit in a RAM truck with my iPhone, and it works great.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The dealer was telling me that most of the issues they see with Uconnect radios are the ones with nav.
I kinda wish mine did not have it.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,004 Posts
Funny -- well not actually -- but the only problem I had with my 2018 Hellcat in the 33 months I owned it was the +paddle triggering a downshift instead of an up shift -- fixed by ECM/PCM updates and maybe from me using the car more often to avoid the battery running down a bit -- and the uConnect NAV system. For the latter the dealer replaced the uConnect radio. This was in mid July of 2020. The replacement radio -- and its NAV system worked fine but I only kept the car another 3.5 months.

Traded it in for a 2020 Scat Pack. Among other differences the new Scat Pack has no NAV.

·
Registered
2021 F8 Green Scat Pack Shaker
275 Posts
Yes Android Auto Nav will work. All i use.
Had UConnect Nav in my '18 Grand Cherokee and Android Auto with Google Maps is way better

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,588 Posts
I don't want to buy her something with no NAV, and have to use the phone NAV.
Well, what everyone said is true, but that IS using the phone NAV as well. Android Auto required your phone to be plugged in and uses the Google Maps (or WAZE) running on your phone, just the car screen is acting like a remote display and touch source.
So if you want to use Nav in the display, you do HAVE to use a phone (or tablet) connected to the car.
Also, a benefit of factory nav is the integration with the center display as well as the uConnect screen.
FWIW, to me I use both, if going somewhere new for the factory integration, and for Google Maps better estimated times.
If all on known roads I use Google Maps for estimates a lot, even though I don't care about the directions.

·
Super Moderator
17,083 Posts
my biggest gripe (and this varies by carrier - I have Verizon) is that in many populated areas - you lose GPS signals.

I used Google maps in my older car that doesn't have NAV - and the primary purpose is using for areas I don't know of live in.

and for miles it loses signal.

meanwhile in the Challenger (with built in NAV) this is never an issue.

for me - if I were ordering a new vehicle - I would have factory NAV option - cells phone are very oversold on their "capabilities" and few talk about the deficiencies they have, even in 2021...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, what everyone said is true, but that IS using the phone NAV as well. Android Auto required your phone to be plugged in and uses the Google Maps (or WAZE) running on your phone, just the car screen is acting like a remote display and touch source.
So if you want to use Nav in the display, you do HAVE to use a phone (or tablet) connected to the car.
Also, a benefit of factory nav is the integration with the center display as well as the uConnect screen.
FWIW, to me I use both, if going somewhere new for the factory integration, and for Google Maps better estimated times.
If all on known roads I use Google Maps for estimates a lot, even though I don't care about the directions.
True. Having to use the USB cord is my only complaint. They should be able to connect via Bluetooth

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
my biggest gripe (and this varies by carrier - I have Verizon) is that in many populated areas - you lose GPS signals.

I used Google maps in my older car that doesn't have NAV - and the primary purpose is using for areas I don't know of live in.

for me - if I were ordering a new vehicle - I would have factory NAV option - cells phone are very oversold on their "capabilities" and few talk about the deficiencies they have, even in 2021...
For my NAV needs in vehicles that didn't have a NAV system but for which I needed NAV system I bought an aftermarket NAV system. These worked very well, were portable from car to car, and after the first I bought a model with life time map updates.

But since I traded in the Hellcat and got the Scat Pack I've been NAV-less. But I have not bought a NAV system. And I will not use my iPhone for a NAV system.

Instead around where I live I am familiar enough with the area enough to know the major roads at least how to get to them and if I need to go someplace I search it on Maps or via Google and get the place's address and phone number and note where the place is located relative to a major road and then cross roads.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts

Provider has nothing to do with GPS, unrelated. And with Google Maps you can (and should) download offline maps so you don't need or use as much data connection.
Nav will always work, but traffic, live info will not.

True. Having to use the USB cord is my only complaint. They should be able to connect via Bluetooth
New Android Auto (and Apple Car Play) support wireless (not bluetooth, but WiFi) but it does suck battery using all of that tech at the same time as GPS, and you basically need it sitting on a wireless charger anyway, then there is the heat issue.
I know the next gen uConnect will support it, but not sure which years, which body lines.
BUT, there is a 3rd party adapter that basically connects to you car's Android Auto as a small Android box that you leave in your console wired to USB. Then your phone connects to it via WiFi, and you have wireless Android Auto in anything.
I am considering one myself. Kind of waiting for an open source solution via a Raspberry Pi or something.
AAWireless adapter that brings wireless to any Android Auto unit blows through crowdfunding goal (androidpolice.com)

Reactions: Brownsreds

·
Registered
275 Posts
For my NAV needs in vehicles that didn't have a NAV system but for which I needed NAV system I bought an aftermarket NAV system. These worked very well, were portable from car to car, and after the first I bought a model with life time map updates.

But since I traded in the Hellcat and got the Scat Pack I've been NAV-less. But I have not bought a NAV system. And I will not use my iPhone for a NAV system.

Instead around where I live I am familiar enough with the area enough to know the major roads at least how to get to them and if I need to go someplace I search it on Maps or via Google and get the place's address and phone number and note where the place is located relative to a major road and then cross roads.
So.. you get on your computer to look on Google maps for the address and closest crossroad, but you won't plug your phone into you car to use Google maps? :unsure:

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
So.. you get on your computer to look on Google maps for the address and closest crossroad, but you won't plug your phone into you car to use Google maps? :unsure:
Yes, but I use the computer, my laptop or iPad, at home. Occasionally in a pinch I'll turn on cell phone data for Safari and search an address when away from home but not often. But only when parked.

I really do not like to use the iPhone in the car except when parked. Previously I had one car hit 2 different times each time by a driver on her or his cell phone. Then I had another car hit once -- but once was enough, the car was totaled -- by a woman on her cell phone who lost control of her car and took out my 4 week old 2008 Porsche Cayman S.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, but I use the computer, my laptop or iPad, at home. Occasionally in a pinch I'll turn on cell phone data for Safari and search an address when away from home but not often. But only when parked.

I really do not like to use the iPhone in the car except when parked. Previously I had one car hit 2 different times each time by a driver on her or his cell phone. Then I had another car hit once -- but once was enough, the car was totaled -- by a woman on her cell phone who lost control of her car and took out my 4 week old 2008 Porsche Cayman S.
The map will show on your UConnect screen when using the USB cord and give you turn by turn through the speakers just like factory Nav. BTW it will also read text messages and let you answer with SIRI

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts

I agree that phone use in a car is a horrible distraction, but that doesn't apply to this.
When using Android Auto, the phone can be inside your console, you never touch or see it. Actually voice controls work better than factory nav. Just press and hold the voice button on your steering wheel until 2 beeps, then you are talking to your phone not the car. Tap it once, and 1 beep, you are talking to the car.
I typically look stuff up on my PC, then "send to device" (as a txt, so you have the link for future use) or whatever to have the destination waiting on my phone when I go to the car.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Originally, I wanted a factory NAV system (my car did not have one and I was looking to "upgrade"). Until I actually started using and became comfortable with Android Auto and the Waze navigation app. :) I just plug my phone into the USB cable that resides in my armrest console and never have to touch think about the phone again. Waze pops up on my 8.4" touchscreen and works wonderfully, including voice recognition ("Navigate to Outback Steakhouse", for example). Not only does Waze give great driving directions, but it also automatically routes you around any known accidents, flooded roads, etc - as well as warn you when the police are up ahead or there is some other "hazard" on the road ahead.

Maps are always up to date - has "live" traffic capabilities, speed-trap warnings, etc - and you never have to pay to update the maps. Plus, you can use whatever nav app you want - personally, I like Waze the best - and those apps are always updated too, unlike a factory nav app.

I literally have no desire to use a factory nav app again - ever. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,083 Posts
Provider has nothing to do with GPS, unrelated. And with Google Maps you can (and should) download offline maps so you don't need or use as much data connection.
Nav will always work, but traffic, live info will not.
I'd launch the app w/ Mobile Data (to obtain address) - once that was done, I'd turn off Mobile Data (I don't have a high GB or unlimited plan) and the phone is using location and the GPS signal from cell towers for tracking where I am physically at.

that's the info that was "Lost Data Connection" - and it sucked when I was traveling on connecting routes in the FL panhandle that was off the interstates by that point - on roads I don't know.
-even trying Mobile Data wasn't reliable or couldn't find a good signal.

At times I missed turns / junctions - and that's why I've said this. Cell phones suck - they aren't reliable.

My cousins that have lived the area for a long time (Pensacola) noted that Verizon is very bad about Lost Signal issues and AT&T worked better for navigation.

I've along the East side of my house - I have call dropout; and I even have WiFi calling enabled. I have the WiFi router PLUS and extender on 2nd story
-and the #&* phone still doesn't work.

a technology that is grossly oversold and underperforms - and we've had 4G technology for years. My brother took the 5G "bait" and that's spotty at best - and his (iPhone) reverts to 1G when 5G signal isn't available.

So personal experience - no way I'd rely on Android Auto...because the source - the cell phone and its network will not always work

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
I'd launch the app w/ Mobile Data (to obtain address) - once that was done, I'd turn off Mobil Data (I don't have a high GB or unlimited plan) and the phone is using location and the GPS signal from cell towers for tracking where I am physically at.
Use offline maps. Google Maps will download the entire area that you define, and it will be just like having a Garmin/TomTom device, no data needed. Except it will have newer data than anything else.
There is no "Lost data connection" type of issue. I use an old phone that doesn't even have a sim card in it, the only connection it has is to WiFi in my home, but it works for GPS based Nav. It is a Note 3 with a triple battery pack (9600MaH) that can run all day screen on 100%. It will sit idle screen off for over 80 days!
In maps, select your Avatar icon next to the search box

Then "Offline Maps"

You will then see a list of saved offline areas and how long they last

You can see how I named them, and how big some are, I have over a GB dedicated to this, but new phones have tons of space.
And when I select one, like the Vegas one for example (for when I visit my dad) it shows the entire area that is downloaded and the phone with work offline.

When selecting your map, have your phone oriented the direction of travel, because it will make a rectangle either vertically or horizontally based on your phone orientation, and scroll/zoom then hit the download.

Also if you search a location, like "Orlando"
On the result, you can hit "Download"

And save that all offline

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Super Moderator
17,083 Posts
Use offline maps. Google Maps will download the entire area that you define, and it will be just like having a Garmin/TomTom device, no data needed. Except it will have newer data than anything else.
There is no "Lost data connection" type of issue. I use an old phone that doesn't even have a sim card in it, the only connection it has is to WiFi in my home, but it works for GPS based Nav. It is a Note 3 with a triple battery pack (9600MaH) that can run all day screen on 100%. It will sit idle screen off for over 80 days!
In maps, select your Avatar icon next to the search box
View attachment 1024255
Then "Offline Maps"
View attachment 1024256
You will then see a list of saved offline areas and how long they last
View attachment 1024258
You can see how I named them, and how big some are, I have over a GB dedicated to this, but new phones have tons of space.
And when I select one, like the Vegas one for example (for when I visit my dad) it shows the entire area that is downloaded and the phone with work offline.
View attachment 1024259
When selecting your map, have your phone oriented the direction of travel, because it will make a rectangle either vertically or horizontally based on your phone orientation, and scroll/zoom then hit the download.
View attachment 1024260
Also if you search a location, like "Orlando"
On the result, you can hit "Download"
View attachment 1024262
And save that all offline
View attachment 1024263
thanks for the tips

storage isn't an issue as I had a 200GB micro SD card in the Galaxy S9+. I use the internal storage as little as possible so its mainly apps that take up internal memory storage.

-this might yet prevent the very possibility of one day I'll fling the phone out the car's window (at speed) and watch the thing get destroyed on impact.

that being said - I still prefer the convenience and integration of the car's Nav system. No batteries to charge, no devices that can get lost, damaged etc. It just works and its always there.

with my '01 car - I didn't spring for the NAV system that was offered - it was a $2,200 stand-alone option 21 years ago and was CD based
- the entire US was on 7 CDs for the different regions. It was $250 to subscribe for updated CD library

-there were production delays and I thought - this setup could obsolete itself. So I didn't order it.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the feedback and help. Found a new 2020 Charger Daytona 5.7L in Sinnamon Stick, with a $8575 mark down. Now if I can only convince my wife to go for it!

Is there any way to figure out the build date from the VIN or window sticker? The car is 230 miles away, so I can't see the sticker on the door jam.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts