Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been dealing with an interior noise problem for a couple of months now.:headbang: The noise is coming from under the console, in the area of the cupholders/storage area. I took it to the closest Dodge dealership (it was NOT New Wilmington Motors) and they thought it was one of the rear shocks making noise, so they have a new set on backorder. Their diagnosis didn't settle well with me, so, I've since pulled the console out twice and have pinpointed the noise to under the driveshaft tunnel, where the two sections of driveshaft come together in sort of a u-joint. I crawled under the car and there appears to be a small amount of grease/oil splattered around the tunnel from the u-joint. I jacked the rear of the car up so that the rear tires were off the ground, started the car, and allowed the car to run just above idle in first gear. The car still made the noise, so it can't be the rear shocks. This car has 10K miles on it and, since they salted the roads last night, it is now tucked away for winter storage. Has anyone else had problems with this joint in the driveshaft making noise? If so, what does the dealership have to do to correct it? A complete new driveshaft unit and drop the exhaust, or just a new u-joint, or something else? Just curious how bad my baby's going to get butchered when he come's out of hybernation in March.:cry:

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Any chance the heat shield is rubbing or vibrating ? Mine has some discharge scattered around by the joint gizmo so I assume that is the norm. Mine has also endured multiple violent traumatic events as a result of hop and is quiet so far.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heat shield clearance seems good and doesn't appear loose anywhere.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, stock shifter mechanism. I installed the 1970-74 E-body Hurst Pistolgrip shifter handle from Gunslinger the day I got the car (Feb 20, 2010) and never had noise problems from it. When I pulled the console, I pulled the aftermarket shifter handle with it and installed the factory shifter handle prior to the test. This noise is not constant, but is most prominant when car is changing from accelleration to decelleration, back and forth. It's a rapid "squeak, squeak, squeak..." like a bearing going bad or when you're driving along with your brake pads down to the wear indicators...or when you're having too much fun on an old mattress and box springs bed.:redblob:

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 09 SRT8 6sd had a squeaking noise in the first 10,000kms. When I reported it to the dealer they immediately ordered a new transmission. There was some kind of a recall.

The squeak is long gone but there is still lots of noise, especially at low speeds when I'm gently on and off the throttle. Sounds like something's going to drop out or break off. It was there before I installed the Hurst shifter but it is more noticeable since. The dealer says it's normal and I guess I've grown used to it but it's pretty embarrassing when I'm with my ford and Chevy buddies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts