Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the Mr Norms oil return PCV system. I haven't been able to find much information on it, or how to install it. Anyone on here have one and have anything to say? How does it install? from the picture it just looks like a canister in-line somehow. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am interested in the Mr Norms oil return PCV system. I haven't been able to find much information on it, or how to install it. Anyone on here have one and have anything to say? How does it install? from the picture it just looks like a canister in-line somehow. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? thanks!
It looks like a one way check valve to keep boost pressure out of the pcv system.McMaster-Carr

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I'm tired of checking my catch can all the time and not to mention the extra oil I have to dump out of it every tank of gas.

I was going to purchase the valve from Norm's but was waiting for some more info. Is it easy to install?

Tim, can we get a simple explanation of how it works? How does the boost pressure vent out of the crankcase? Is this a better option than what come with the KB kit?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I talked to Mike at Mr. Norm's at length about it a few months ago. I had proposed a new product idea to them: A catch can that would automatically self-drain all collected oil back to the oil pan when the engine was turned off. No more need to manually empty it! The best of both worlds!

After I talked to Mike, and sent him illustrations on the mechanics of how my idea worked, he said, "We already have that."

He said that is exactly what their "PCV Oil Return System" part did. He said it could be used on any engine, not just supercharged applications. I told him they should change the part's name and add a description explaining what it was and what it did.

I guess they haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I will buy it, once I understand how it works and how easy it is to install.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You get more blowby past the pistons on FI engines,pressure builds in the crankase forcing more oil vapor out.Boost pressure in the intake makes it's way into the pcv system making it inoperative.The one way check valve goes into the pcv hose,keeping pressure out of pcv & catch can.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I'm tired of checking my catch can all the time and not to mention the extra oil I have to dump out of it every tank of gas.

I was going to purchase the valve from Norm's but was waiting for some more info. Is it easy to install?

Tim, can we get a simple explanation of how it works? How does the boost pressure vent out of the crankcase? Is this a better option than what come with the KB kit?
how often does your can fill up?
mine stoped filling up after i put the wot box on the car.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
how often does your can fill up?
mine stoped filling up after i put the wot box on the car.
Kind of scary? I have the WOT box with lots of oil in can. Your sure hose is not pinched?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Kind of scary? I have the WOT box with lots of oil in can. Your sure hose is not pinched?
yep I pulled all the hoses off yesterday and blew air through them all no clogs.
No oil since Nov.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The stuff i get out of my catch can i dont think i would want in my oil pan. It is NASTY Don
exactly what I was thinking. Alot of condensated moisture I wouldn't want put back into the oil. OR are we missing something about Mr Norms system?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't see how this would keep vaporized oil from reaching your intake...
I do see the need for a check valve to keep from pressurizing the crankcase in a supercharged application , but I don't see how it would work at all normally aspirated .People always joke about catch can questions but it's difficult to search out all the options and make informed decisions... I just got my car and from what I have read I likely will install some sort of PCV oil control , I understand the catch can but please enlighten me on how the mr.Norms check valve keeps oil out of a normally aspirated intake.:scratchhead: Thanks , Rich

·
Registered
51 Posts
In another post I read that there is a screen in this part that separates the oils from the vapors .... can it be that simple? I have emailed Tim @ mrnorms and questioned him directly ... hopefully he will find the time to explain how this part works ... if indeed this part will catch as much oil as a can I'll order today!

·
Registered
289 Posts
yep I pulled all the hoses off yesterday and blew air through them all no clogs.
No oil since Nov.
Did you check your catch can gasket, my original one shrunk and did not seal, I noticed this when my can did not fill up after a few drives. I replaced the original gasket with a rubber O ring from the hardware store and have had no issues since.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I still do not understand this component. I can understand its use in a FI application in working as a check valve to keep intake boost pressure from pressurizing the crankcase, and that part makes perfect sense.

But under boost conditions, you've got blowby past the rings pressurizing the crankcase, and the PCV system blocked by the check valve, so isn't the crankcase still going to get pressurized from the blow-by with no escape? Under boost conditions, I would expect the blowby under boost would be much greater, so I don't see what this check valve really does as it wouldn't prevent a positive crankcase pressure, it would just keep it from happening due to boost coming from the PCV system.

If one of the valve covers had a filter, this would be a place where crankcase pressure from blowby could escape. And under nonboost conditions, this filter would be sucking air INTO the crankcase due to vacuum from the PCV system. This all being the case, why would a check valve be needed at all? Not to mention $130 for a check valve seems a bit much.

So somebody explain this to me cause I don't get it. I'm about a week away from ordering my KB 3.6L from Mr. Norms, and need to know more about this part and what it's really supposed to do/prevent. I'm sure I'm missing something, I just don't know what it is.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Bump... ...................

·
Registered
691 Posts
The valve allows air thru put traps oil. It has an internal screen in it to allow air to pass but not oil .

Without it, your catchcan will fill up every 400 miles or so, with it, no catch can is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
1. But it also works as a check valve, right?

2. Does it get mounted vertically and/or high, so the oil drains back to the engine via gravity? Or does it NOT work as a check valve, so every time you encounter boost conditions, the boost pressure blows the oil from the filter on back, back into the engine?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts