Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Max Steel Scat Challenger
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holley 300-651BK

Just to be clear I plan on purchasing the 105mm throttle body. My concern is the 11 3/4” height from the base as compared to around 8 1/2” stock (rough measurement).
I did a rough test with a 6” section of a 2x4 placed on its side (3 1/2” vertical) at the estimated highest point of the new intake and was able to let the hood down to the latch. I was able to gently push the hood halfway between latched and fully closed before any visible change to the hood showed. Afterward there was a small indentation from the backside of the wood in the insulation. The front (roughly the proposed highest point of the new intake) did not touch.
Although I have a good feeling I could install this part without a hood modification I thought it best to ask the community before I commit to the 1.2k in parts to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts
True, although I can't get this out of my head

A Guy :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I saw one of those at the Holley booth at Moparty. That thing is tall! I wouldn't even think about trying to put that under the hood of my Challenger. But I've already put a 6.1 intake on my 5.7, and I'm pretty happy with that.

·
Registered
2016 Max Steel Scat Challenger
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The PCV connects under the main body of the intake. I did consider the sniper but when I saw this, I was done. The price difference is nil. My exhaust is nearly complete depending on whether I bother with high flow cats, so I want to get planning for the intake side. The long term goal is Helion sleeper twins but I want to improve as much as I can without a mechanic before I have internal engine work done. I think the intake will be the last step before I get it tuned and start saving the 10 grand for the final upgrade. Any suggestions as to what other prep work I can do is welcomed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Today I pulled the trigger and ordered the race version since my car is pro charged. (6.1) I have seen reviews both ways on these intakes and most seem to be favorable for boosted engines so I hope I didn't make a mistake.

I have seen issues for injector and rail height, any thoughts? Those seemed to have been 5.7 related.

I also have a question about PCV routing on a boosted engine. Is it better to go from the oil fill neck to the catch can and then from the catch can to the under side of the intake where there are 4 ports available to use?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
ProCharged 6.1 Holley Sniper Race series fabricated intake installation preparation.

Since my last post I spent a lot time doing research on crankcase venting, take off points, catch can and fitting options etc., I have finally found what I hope are solid combinations and I believe that this project will be moving along nicely once all of the parts arrive. Once I confirm how well (or not) all of the parts play together, I will provide a list of materials as well.

I am planning on using AN fittings to vent each side of the motor via the fabricated valve covers into a 3 port (2in/1out) catch can and vent that to the inlet of the procharger behind the air filter since that is the only location that remains in a vacuum state through the entire operating range. Currently the shop that set my SC up has me on the factory PCV locations with the oil fill neck vented to atmosphere via a drop leg hose. I am really skeptical of relying on the factory PCV check valve for protecting the crankcase during boost even with that hose in place. If that PCV check valve fails, crankcase goes to boost pressure. Say goodbye to seals and gaskets. And since the PCV is being eliminated and my crankcase vented to the inlet of the procharger via the catch can, that should keep me smog legal.

There are going to be space constraints for the air filter and CCV vent lines and the connection locations. There are also line sizing and vapor velocities and the like to be considered, and I hope I have thought of at least most of them. I'm sure more will come up. I couldn't be that lucky to think of all of them.

I expect all of the parts to arrive within about the next 2 weeks. In the end, keep an eye out for my build details, I intend to document it well since there is very little out there right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.