Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that Borla has a catback for the V6 in two types, S Type and Atak. Anyone install these? Too loud or too tacky for a V6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's too loud for me too.

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Saw that Flowmaster has the American Thunder Cat-Back Exhaust that many online seem pleased with and it’s much more affordable and quieter than the Borla.

Anyone know anything about that one?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,275 Posts
I'm sure I've seen some V6 owners say they have the American Thunder and they liked them. For a few dollars less you can also get the Solo exhaust. For a little more you can get the dual round, or dual square tips. I'm happy with my Solo

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links. Wasn’t aware of Solo. Will dig into that option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i used to have flowmaster super44 mids in 2.25" going straight out the back. As much as i like chambered muffler tone (had them on a v8 a while back), didn't sound quite right on a 3.6L, it was just way too deep and flat tone, not pleasant in higher rpms.

After spending a lot of time reading and watching videos/audio clips, saved up and decided on the Borla 2.25" S-type. This ended the chapter of my exhaust/cat-back hunt. I considered the atak but the 2.5" pipes and the extra decibel levels made me pick the S-type.

To me, it just sounds right and natural. Not V8 (for obvious reasons) but most certainly an angry/agressive/raw V6, specially at high rpms.

I'm guessing the atak will have a louder idle, but high rpms may be a bit too loud; not sure; never heard in person.

the best video that describes the high rpm tone of the s-type is the one put out by borla; they managed to capture the tone almost exactly to what it sounds in person.

Couple of vids on youtube that show the idle rumble and some drive-by (it's a white sxt video) are also pretty close to in person experience (when using headphones). these vids were the final decision maker in my choosing of S-type.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the Borla S type. I definitely watched plenty of YouTube videos before pulling the trigger on it. Each video has different variables like position of the camera, type of camera, quality of the mic, etc. From my experience, the s type is subtle while cruising but it screams when I gun it. Ideally, I'd want something right in between the atak and the s type but I'd rather have the s type between the current two options.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Check out Zoomers:

- Alexis

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I had a Borla S-type on my SS Camaro. Idle and wide open were heaven but that's where the love story ended for me. The drone between 2,200-2,500 RPM drove me nuts. Unfortunately this is the RPM range where the car liked to live while on the highway.

If I could offer any helpful advice, try your best to hear these exhausts in person. More ideally, take a ride with someone who has it installed. YouTube is a bad way to make an exhaust choice for all the reasons already noted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a Borla S-type on my SS Camaro. Idle and wide open were heaven but that's where the love story ended for me. The drone between 2,200-2,500 RPM drove me nuts. Unfortunately this is the RPM range where the car liked to live while on the highway.
That's not even a fair comparison...lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry if it is off topic, but the PO had installed Magnaflow's. The drone however is really really bad when driving between 50 mph and 70 mph. I have to have the radio excessively loud to drown it out. Any suggestions to help reduce that?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That's not even a fair comparison...lol
It may sound unfair, but drone is an inconvenient truth with aftermarket exhaust systems whether you have a V6, I4, V8, Sherman tank...whatever. This is a far worse thing to live with than the embarrasingly tacky sound of an aftermarket exhaust on a V6.

Now if I address the tacky question, to me, aftermarket exhausts on a V6 sound like a parade of tacky coming down the road, but that's just my opinion and my opinion is usually pretty worthless. 😄

·
Registered
42 Posts
It may sound unfair, but drone is an inconvenient truth with aftermarket exhaust systems whether you have a V6, I4, V8, Sherman tank...whatever. This is a far worse thing to live with than the embarrasingly tacky sound of an aftermarket exhaust on a V6.

Now if I address the tacky question, to me, aftermarket exhausts on a V6 sound like a parade of tacky coming down the road, but that's just my opinion and my opinion is usually pretty worthless. 😄
Okay but you compared a v8's exhaust setup to a v6. I agree about your drone statement but you have no idea whether the drone is bearable or not on the v6 setup. You can't judge that based off of your v8. Even if your SS was a v6, it's still a completely different car!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Okay but you compared a v8's exhaust setup to a v6. I agree about your drone statement but you have no idea whether the drone is bearable or not on the v6 setup. You can't judge that based off of your v8. Even if your SS was a v6, it's still a completely different car!
Actually, I have heard the drone on the V6 cars also, so I have a good sense of what will happen to the OP.

Lots of young guys show up at the local cruise-in with V6 cars and they're always looking for a quick way to make them sound like a V8. While that's a different discussion altogether, I've ridden in the V6 cars with Borla and other aftermarket exhausts. All of them, without exception, drone.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,275 Posts
Solo does not drone, not one iota ;)

A Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts