Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and if so are you pleased with it? Was it difficult to install?

Also, if anyone has any concerns about this new design please brainstorm away in this thread.

The getper4mance.com page says they've redesigned it and it's better than their previous design.

I'm thinking about installing one myself on my 2019 Hellcat Red Eye wide body this winter (while it's up on a lift). This design allows for changing the differential fluid. I know a Hellcat owner whose another brand diff. brace looks great, but you can't access the drain and fill ports without removing it.

I don't know what some of the terms and abbreviations mean. IRS? ARP fasteners? P4D tool-less PEM inserts? Here is the website's text and if anyone knows please help me out.

"Starting in January 2019, P4D decided to take a fresh look at the differential brace taking into consideration what has worked and what could be improved. Working with a new mechanical engineer, we started with a blank sheet of paper.
Our goal was two-fold:
1) Could we develop a better solution?
2) Could a new solution be more harmonious with the OEM IRS?

This led us to develop a two-piece differential integration and reinforcement system.
  • Part one attaches the differential using the lower two main case bolts and the three lower case bolts to reinforce the differential.
  • Part two attaches to the rear cross-member and carries an OEM differential bushing (just like the two in the rear cross-member) to add a third, triangulated integration point to "attach" to the reinforced differential.
Features:
  • American made and CNC machined T-6061 billet aluminum
  • OEM differential bushing
  • ARP fasteners/US made galvanized bushing bolt
  • P4D tool-less PEM inserts for cross-member attachment
  • Hard anodized coating in black (images are of preproduction units)
User reported observations and benefits:
1) Product Quality and Packaging
2) Strength and Robustness
3) Improved rear-end dynamics including increased traction/less wheel hop
4) No increase in NVH

IMPORTANT: The DIRS is not compatible with BORLA aftermarket exhaust systems. Contact us if you’d like a DIRS and run Borla exhaust.
100% satisfaction guaranteed, return within 30 days of receipt for a full refund."

Best,

Finface

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,786 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, A Guy!

There is a Speedy video on installing their DIR differential brace. I think it was you - if not another regular poster - who gave me the link to this brace in the first place.

It looks like a great product - the ability to have the assembly flex would seem to satisfy FCA engineers concerns about rigid diff. braces transferring undesirable forces to other drive train components. I think I can install it myself with my Titan four post lift and its companion 3,500 lb. capacity sliding bridge jack (in case I need to move the car's frame up a little to thread bolts). Another feather in my cap towards achieving low to hopefully medium competency as an automotive technician - if I can pull it off!

Another fun "bolt on" performance modification thought I had was installing a diffuser with this DIR differential brace. I contacted the nice folks at zl1addons.com, whom I bought a splitter protector from (really like it) this past summer. Unfortunately they use the same unthreaded crossmember holes in our later model Challengers to attach their diffusers as does this brace. Their rep honestly said the parts can't go together without some mounting hardware changes. Perhaps some clever person could, or has, come up with a mod to have both, but that would be above my pay grade.

So, no diffuser is likely unless someone knows of a relatively simple solution. The brace is needed, the diffuser not so much.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
501 Posts
To begin it’s not a driveshaft brace. The Per4mance product is a differential brace and it works as described . I have the initial version on my 750 whp Scat and it works as the manufacturer states .no issues accessing differential drain or refill .

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
144 Posts
I have the Billet brace (not the DIRS one) and same thing here - does its job and it’s a quick install. Nice quality part, and the vendor provides great support too.

30E86E55-C6E1-490A-8CAB-900C44CD43C9.jpeg

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I was going to get one of their basic braces and put it on when I swap out my diff for an LSD in the spring.
They keep changing their designs though and that got me to thinking:
1.) Their parts are not that thought out and need constant refinement or
2.) They make little "visual" changes and claim a refinement just to get repeat suckers errr buyers to spend more money with them.

In any event their actions alone make me weary.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Based on the results, I'd place the focus more there than on their marketing.

The HC forums are littered with good posts about the basic braces and the DIRS ones are keeping that trend going.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
White R/T (and All),

Thanks for posting and letting us know you're happy with the DIRS.

I emailed back and forth, and then spoke with a rep from Per4mance yesterday. Some things he said in response to some questions I had;

There are about 500 of these two piece DIRS differential braces installed. Only one failure has been reported and that car was a highly modified high HP car - more HP than Demons and Red Eyes. I didn't get specifics beyond that comment. The rep said he has one installed on his personal Demon, otherwise stock except for a catch can.

Heat buildup in the differential has not been an issue. I'd asked about the brace potentially blocking airflow.

The Speedy's install video didn't use a trick they recommend in their printed installation instructions about using dental floss to help set, or retrieve, the 10mm bolt receiver nuts (they are the silver, flat, irregular shaped pieces) inside the unthreaded crossmember (in case they were not set correctly by me, or I cross-threaded them, cross-threading them he said would be almost impossible to do). If I somehow really screwed up the receiver nuts no problem sending me just those.

Doesn't matter if the car has weight on wheels or not during installation of the brace, but avoid jacking up just one side of the while car doing it - didn't hurt the brace but after re-leveling the car the various bolt torques may not be correct (he said one side might be loose).

So I just ordered one and it should be here in a few days. I'll try and install it next week and post some pictures. Good to hear LandoAWD that your dealership is okay with this DIRS modification. There is the usual disclaimer on the Per4mance product page that the part may void warranty. My conclusion is that with this differential brace it's highly unlikely the car will have any problems in the aft drivetrain components, and, the specter of blowing a differential up with the attendant undercarriage damage (or even loss of control of the car) is worth avoiding with a differential brace which allows for some movement back there. Besides, if I blow the differential up in my Red Eye at any closed track it's doubtful FCA will honor a drivetrain warranty anyway - as has been discussed in other threads.

Best,

Finface

1 - 9 of 9 Posts