Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this. I have a ton of info and pics. Its quite a bit to write up so I'd only do it if there was some interest. I'm begging anyone that is going to say "why didn't you just buy a Hellcat?" to keep that to themselves. I wanted a fun project and enjoy the challenge. So lets see...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,596 Posts
I'm always interested in this stuff...I'd sure be unable to do it, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
278 Posts
I am!! Love to see what it took.

I daydreamed about Challengers since I saw the prototype in Vegas in '06, but when I saw the interiors for the 2015+, I had to have a later one. Always wondered if I could have saved some money and done something similar.

Need to see details and pictures. Please.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,740 Posts
I did this. I have a ton of info and pics. Its quite a bit to write up so I'd only do it if there was some interest. I'm begging anyone that is going to say "why didn't you just buy a Hellcat?" to keep that to themselves. I wanted a fun project and enjoy the challenge. So lets see...
So is this what rear antenna and front closeout panel fasteners was all about?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my 2013 Challenger SXT Rallye Redline. Rallye Redline appearance package has the red stripes, Radar Red interior and special wheels. I am the second owner. Flew down to Florida in 2017, popped in the Mygig RHR from my 300 SRT8, and drove it back to MA. A month after purchasing it I bought a set of SRT392 wheels. It didn't have the driver convenience option which included HID headlights and the premium tire pressure option. I built a harness and added the module to the right rear wheel well. Changed the TIPM config and now had premium tire pressure. I added the HIDs from a 2016 Challenger and did a 2015 rear bumper conversion (built custom harness to run the OEM LEDS and backup sensors) last year. Drove it this way until November of 2019. I'd been working on this conversion for about a year. I found people trying to race me all the time assuming that my challenger was fast. It was probably the damn stripes. So summer of 2018 I started amassing parts.
Here are a couple pics of the SRT wheel swap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to post pics of it along the way and all the differences I found. I also kept track of part numbers and what I paid for parts. I haven't added up the parts pricing yet so I have no clue what the swap cost me. The car cost me $13,200 in 2017. Important note: this whole swap was done outdoors in my driveway!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,740 Posts
I would be interested in seeing what the final car weight comes in at. BTW did you swap the brakes?

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
278 Posts
Curious to see what the differences were. Very cool!

Did you have a wrecked HC to pull parts off? Or did you piecemeal the swap together?

·
Registered
187 Posts
That’s amazing! When my warranty was buying me a new 5.7 engine (due to lifter failure) I inquired with the Service Department Manager as to the possibility of dropping a 392 in there and I would pay for all of the additional costs required vs. just putting a new 5.7 in there. His answer was “it can’t be done”. I really think he meant “we don’t want to mess with it”.
That being said, he also said that “even if it was physically possible, the warranty company would never go for it.” - which may very well be true.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
278 Posts
That’s amazing! When my warranty was buying me a new 5.7 engine (due to lifter failure) I inquired with the Service Department Manager as to the possibility of dropping a 392 in there and I would pay for all of the additional costs required vs. just putting a new 5.7 in there...
If I were to go through with swapping a 6.4 into my 5.7 R/T, I think I would tell people I did a 6.4 cam swap. Technically, I would have swapped a 6.4 cam into the car, just with a different motor around it. :cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a question for you. I see you have the Hellcat motor. What upgrades did you do on the fuel lines and fuel pumps or are they the same. I am guessing the injectors and all that came on the Hellcat motor so that would be fine but the fuel system from the SXT would definitely need to be upgraded.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be interested in seeing what the final car weight comes in at. BTW did you swap the brakes?
Full and complete swap. NO piece left unturned.
Curious to see what the differences were. Very cool!

Did you have a wrecked HC to pull parts off? Or did you piecemeal the swap together?
Pretty much a full piecemeal. Kept a record of the parts I needed/had in my phone and monitored forums/facebook/ebay/junkyards for parts. Got many good deals.
Very nice, is it up and running yet?
Not yet. Only waiting on a transmission filter/pan kit from Mopar and fluid from BND Auto.
I have a question for you. I see you have the Hellcat motor. What upgrades did you do on the fuel lines and fuel pumps or are they the same. I am guessing the injectors and all that came on the Hellcat motor so that would be fine but the fuel system from the SXT would definitely need to be upgraded.
I'll get to this one. It ALL needs to be swapped to Hellcat stuff. The hellcat fuel line is 13mm vs 10 or 11mm for the 3.6-6.4. Fuel pump and and return sending units are unique to the Hellcat. The fuel tank is that same though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I initially started thinking I wanted to swap the full interior, suspension and brakes from the Hellcat/SRT392. While definitely possible I knew that I'd get the itch to do the motor too. I went to several junkyards that had 2015 and up Challengers and measured and checked to see how all interior and engine parts might up. I took a million pics of harnesses, where hoses routed, etc. It definitely seemed pretty straightforward. I then went online and found the Hellcat that I wanted to copy. Its a 2019 narrow body loaded including the technology package (ACC and FCW is a must have for me). I spent months on Tech Authority comparing parts fisches between my 13 SXT and the 19 Hellcat. I determined what parts I would need and went hunting. I spent about a year gathering parts. The interior is from a 2016 that went straight to the track so the seats had zero miles. The dash came from a 2019 that I found on eBay. Engine and trans came from a late 2016 production Charger. Complete rear end dropout was sourced from a 2017 Challenger. It should be noted that the electronic shocks and struts are unique to either the Challenger or Charger so they're not interchangeable. With the bulk of the parts needed I started the swap just before thanksgiving.

Here it is just before coming apart:
I had put a 2015 Decklid on and created a harness that plugged into the Mygig so I had a factory backup camera. Changed the config in the TIPM so it worked perfectly. All OEM. For sale BTW.

Also added a 2014 SRT8 heated wheel. Had that all working too. Made the door panels to have the SRT8 white stitched leather arm rests and door pulls while keeping the Radar Red vinyl.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Engine and trans coming out here. Took 3.5h (front bumper was already off though) with basic hand tools in my driveway. Talk about shadetree mechanics. Very hillbilly for sure. I used a Harley motorcycle jack and some boat blocking to pull the engine forward.

Separating drivetrain from k-member.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts