Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 DODGE Challenger SRT8
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD Day! Has someone seen this before? I have a 2012 Challenger SRT8 68K miles. Coolant leaking just under the upper radiator hose. The t-stat housing does not seem to be the culprit. Thanx.

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
the only things up that high on the engine:
heater coolant pipes
  • there's one on backside of timing cover (o-ring seal)
  • another one that comes around to water pump (o-ring seal)
Coolant temp sensor - usually on driver's side

Thermostat housing

to remove the coolant pipes, you'd remove the intake, pipes have a bolt securing bracket to back of head and pipe pulls straight out to service o-ring

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information Hal H. I'll have to remove the intake. I have a tiny scope camera and still couldn't see anything with it. Its deff NOT coming from the upper hose/tstat however.

Frustrating. I cant find a source. From what I can see it looks like coolant is originating from the gasket between the water pump and engine??.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the only things up that high on the engine:
heater coolant pipes
  • there's one on backside of timing cover (o-ring seal)
  • another one that comes around to water pump (o-ring seal)
Coolant temp sensor - usually on driver's side

Thermostat housing

to remove the coolant pipes, you'd remove the intake, pipes have a bolt securing bracket to back of head and pipe pulls straight out to service o-ring
I had the exact same leak and the water pump is considered part of the power train Warranty covered my water pump and they gave me a rental car to drive for a day or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2011 srt8 The leak was indeed the water pump. replaced it, the lower hose and t-stat. all is good!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,578 Posts
Thanks for following through on the conclusion of your issues. It is now a valuable resource vs. a lingering mystery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts