Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a replacement steering wheel logo for the ram's head? I don't really want to pry off the logo or deal with air bag issues. A logo with anything other than a ram's head that would fit OVER the existing badge would be perfect, are you listening Billet Technology? Got rid of the nose badge and wheel caps so the steering wheel is the last of the ram's stuff.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Billet Tech will not make a steering wheel emblem due to liability issues related to airbag deployment . That aluminum piece could end up buried three inches deep in your brain.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's the last ram's head left on my car too. It's a pain in the ass to remove and the air bag has to come out to do it right. There's a 'how to thread' on the removal somewhere on here. Most guys are replacing it with stickers/decals. Not the highest quality from what I've seen and some fall off after a while, but It's probably still better than the ram's head.

·
Super Moderator
15,969 Posts
If you need to remove the Ram's head badge - you'll need to remove the airbag cover (the badge is held on by 3 posts with "speed nut" retainers) - you can't pry the badge off, or you risk tearing or deforming the vinyl airbag cover.

The airbag ass'y is easy to remove and the airbag cover clips over the actual airbag - did mine myself w/ no prior experience.

My avatar is a close up of the badge (cf & resin) that is a custom made piece I had done for me. (not a supporting vendor on this forum, so I can't post that source...)

Here's a shot of the badge that replaced the OEM Ram's head.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
Got mine from 3-D too.
I like the Red Hemi start button from them also.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I did mine in 5 minutes without removing the air bag, steering wheel, just pried off the old emblem, and stuck on the new one. Just be sure your steering wheel is nice and warm, I wouldn't try it cold. Nothing tore... Also did the emblem on my Ram SRT10 the same way, no tearing and no damage as long as things are good and warm.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I did mine in 5 minutes without removing the air bag, steering wheel, just pried off the old emblem, and stuck on the new one. Just be sure your steering wheel is nice and warm, I wouldn't try it cold. Nothing tore... Also did the emblem on my Ram SRT10 the same way, no tearing and no damage as long as things are good and warm.
But aren't the little speed nuts tumbling around inside the steering wheel?

I've been looking at a solution for this for a long time. My steering wheel is the last Ram head I need to get rid of.

·
Registered
353 Posts
But aren't the little speed nuts tumbling around inside the steering wheel?

I've been looking at a solution for this for a long time. My steering wheel is the last Ram head I need to get rid of.
Speedy, from what I've been reading if the rubber is hot enough it will deform enough to let the whole thing come out without breaking. My steering wheel is the last Goat Head as well and I am out of the USA for a few more months but thinking of doing this method when I return... it ought to be hot enough by then.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Speedy, from what I've been reading if the rubber is hot enough it will deform enough to let the whole thing come out without breaking. My steering wheel is the last Goat Head as well and I am out of the USA for a few more months but thinking of doing this method when I return... it ought to be hot enough by then.
If that's the case a heat gun could make short work of it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
I did it the way it is posted by member Tony C.
You dont want to just pull it out because the speed nuts will be loose inside the airbag assembly and do who knows what to the circuitry.
They wont just pull thru. They will break off and stay in there.
In fact I had a very hard time getting them off even with the airbag disassembled.

See this thread, POST #28 by Tony C.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/another-ram-head-gone-41973/index3.html
Thanks Tony:thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I did it the way it is posted by member Tony C.
You dont want to just pull it out because the speed nuts will be loose inside the airbag assembly and do who knows what to the circuitry.
They wont just pull thru. They will break off and stay in there.
In fact I had a very hard time getting them off even with the airbag disassembled.

See this thread, POST #28 by Tony C.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/another-ram-head-gone-41973/index3.html
Thanks Tony:thumbsup:

Very True.

There is a circuit board attached to the Airbag cover and even with the airbag removed, it was a pain to get the speed nuts out. One jammed between the Airbag cover and the the circuit board when I did mine. However with a little paitence I was able to remove the speed nuts.

It was well worth the effort to remove that Rams head and I was taking my airbag off anyway to put in silver steering wheel switches so it was really not too much extra effort for me.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Last Rams head gone!!

Thanks for the tip dude .....heating the emblem and steering wheel rubber with a hair dryer worked great. I used a flat plastic pry tool and the emblem came out with the nuts. Perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
2009 Challenger Steering Wheel

I just bought a used 2009 Charger steering wheel off ebay today. $50 plus shipping. I'm going to have it completely re-done matching it to my walnut woodgrain kit (which matches my pistol grip) and light tan leather seats (must have clean hands to drive). Thankfully Apsis Inc. is nearby to me in Long Island so I can match the materials and save on shipping.

Then I will to put that custom "Dodge" logo emblem in the airbag center, if not the plain black "RT". Either is fine. The script Challenger emblem is the nicest but there is already a Challenger emblem on the dash. I'd like to replace that with an old-school style Challenger script dash pad emblem if anyone knows where to get one (?).

After that I will install the stereo wheel stereo controls (mine did not come with, but I understand all RT's have the same harness).

Any suggestions, please let 'em fly.

Thanks

MZ

Anyone going to the Port Washington (NY) car show this Sunday, July 3rd? Hope to see you there...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts