Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to do the mid muffler delete kit on my 17 R/T but don't want to deal with hassles when it comes time for inspection.

Has anyone heard of any of the exhaust makers out there making kits that are road legal and not "track only."

Has anyone had luck getting their local hot rod shop to inspect their car, even with this mod? At the end of the day i'd probably straight up ask them before risk not being able to get my car inspected.

Thanks again to all for thoughts on this and any info.

·
Registered
629 Posts
There's no such kit. The mufflers are all part of the system so they get cut out and piping gets welded in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm....I wonder if this would trigger any dash lights, and/or if this could be alleviated with a dyno tune/hand EFI programmer.

I guess I just need to ask my local hot rod shop what the ramifications would be in my state (VT). Thanks!

I could swear a few companies made kits to replace these mid mufflers, but they are "off road" only..

·
Registered
291 Posts
The mid mufflers are just mufflers. They are not cats. They have no downstream O2s measuring anything. There are no codes that will be thrown or legalities to worry about. Now if you were talking about deleting the cats, then yes you would throw a code and it would likely not pass inspection.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yea you're confusing the mufflers with the cats. Removing the mufflers will not trigger a CEL or cause any emission concerns. Removing the mufflers for straight pipe will just make the car louder and sound like crap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea you're confusing the mufflers with the cats. Removing the mufflers will not trigger a CEL or cause any emission concerns. Removing the mufflers for straight pipe will just make the car louder and sound like crap.
Not the rear mufflers, or the cats, the mid-mufflers (these are a thing, please correct me if i'm wrong.) They are supposedly the biggest HP restriction in the stock exhaust system.

I'm aware this would make the car a little louder, but my primary goal would be the extra 5-10 hp.

Like such:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not the rear mufflers, or the cats, the mid-mufflers (these are a thing, please correct me if i'm wrong.) They are supposedly the biggest HP restriction in the stock exhaust system.

I'm aware this would make the car a little louder, but my primary goal would be the extra 5-10 hp.

Like such:

2016 Dodge Challenger RT Mid muffler delete - YouTube
The mid mufflers are still mufflers. This is SUPER common for challenger and charger guys to do. Its cheap, easy and generally people like the after tone and volume. There are hundreds of videos on youtube of this being done and the after clips. I plan on doing it in spring on my SP.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The mid mufflers are NOT a restriction therefore there is no extra power made by removing them.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts

The cats are the biggest restriction...followed by the active exhaust valve (when partially closed). The mufflers are essentially a glass pack design and are the least restrictive component in the exhaust system. On a 5.7 I would say the stock exhaust manifolds are the biggest restriction in the whole system as the SP runs shorty type manifolds.

So the autos have this type of system (I thought they ditch the big joined mufflers)

the manuals have this

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
On an auto the mid muffler delete will add unwanted noise when MDS activates but on manuals the mid muffler delete sounds awesome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So with a 17' 5.7 with a manual, removing the mid-mufflers isn't doing anything for me HP wise, just makes the car a little louder?

If I could do one cost effective thing to my muffler system to gain a few HP, what would it be then?

·
Registered
629 Posts
He has a 2017 with the active exhaust. Both the auto and manual have the same system.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
So with a 17' 5.7 with a manual, removing the mid-mufflers isn't doing anything for me HP wise, just makes the car a little louder?

If I could do one cost effective thing to my muffler system to gain a few HP, what would it be then?
Long tube headers would give HP gain but it is costly.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts

You're looking in the wrong place for adding HP. Move up and look at adding under the hood.

·
Registered
629 Posts
2017 parts catalog shows different parts numbers for auto and manual.

Although would not be the first time they are wrong...which they are.

This is the system he has
I have an auto and that's exactly what my system looks like.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I really pisses me off that Dodge parts catalog shows the wrong part...I actually went through RockAuto...found the part number and did a google image search...WTF!
Ha!:grin2:

My buddy has a manual Hellcat and our systems are alike except for the mufflers. His are a little different/smaller.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts