Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my R/T this past weekend and I'm making a wish list. A mopar CAI is already decided on, but I'm looking for suggestions on exhaust and chip mods that will work with the 2011 5.7. Can I go with what worked on the 2010? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Vfx,

Did you test drive the '10 R/T and the '11 before purchasing the '11? If so, what did you notice different?

I really would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Wil

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manic,

Yeah I drove both model years. The main reason I went with the 2011 was that the steering/handling felt much better, more connected than the 2010. And, i got a decent deal from the dealer so the financial incentive didn't factor in all that much. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
There currently is no aftermarket tuning available for the 2011 models because they use different software for the engine controller unit.

Also, the air box design is different for the 2011s and actually seals off the much larger filter to the lower fender well. The MOPAR CAI will probably still fit, however, I would see you actually losing performance than gaining, especially since you can't tune the engine computer, yet.

From a performance standpoint, save the $200+ on a CAI purchase and just wait until a high flow amsoil or K&N filter comes out.

The CORSA exhaust works with the 392, but it is also the same size as the stock exhaust (2.75). As for the R/T, it's probably still 2.5". You could venture out and see if it's really worth it or if it's better to just find you a good exhaust shop that can modify the stock and save you some money vs the amount of performance gain you'll be getting with simple bolt ons.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rayzazoo,

I wasn't aware that the '11s had a new (better) air box design. Sounds like it would be best to keep my wallet closed until tuners have a chance to play around with the current ECU. I'd heard most of the high flow K&N CAIs aren't strictly legal in cali, but I'll check em out.

As for exhaust, I had considered the CORSA since it seems to be the most popular option. The throatier sound would be the only reason I'd go with aftermarket vs. a modified stock system. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, missed that. I filter would be an easier more cost efficient upgrade. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
rayzazoo,Sounds like it would be best to keep my wallet closed until tuners have a chance to play around with the current ECU.
The 2011 LX, LD, LC vehicles have a completly new communications architecture, communications bus, all new hardware, all new programming language, it is up to 20 times faster than the old CANbus and hardware, and far more advanced regarding intrusion security and protective encryption. This is all based on the new FlexRay system design. It has been rumored that it might even have the capability to somehow rotate or change part of it's language each time the vehicle is started. Information is very scarce on the new system.

To make matters worse, the Challenger is going to use a hybrid of the old/new at least for 2011, so it might be an orphan year.

Since it took three years for the tuners to come out for the old NGC4 controllers, with the advancements and changes that have been made, I would venture it will be a long wait.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MrMopar,

Good to know. I may have to rely on hardware upgrades for a while

1 - 11 of 11 Posts