Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my car almost a year and have put almost 9600 miles on it and have yet to get a "Skip Shift" message.
I have try numerous times to get it to do it and can not (trust me I don't want it to happen I just want to be prepared if it does), I do the 18-21 mph, 1st gear, quarter throttle.....Nothing. I guess my question is did the SRT not come with this feature?

Other Challenger owners I have talked to say that it happens to them, but the ones I have talked to all have the 5.7.
My owners manual says it has a skip shift but I also know that the manuals aren't always up to date.
Anyone else out there with an 392 SRT that can't make this happen?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I bet if you gave me a shot I could reproduce it for you. My skip shift eliminator is sitting on my night stand just a few feet away because I haven't yet gotten the car in the air to install it. Try driving it like an economy car. I know it's hard to do, but that's when I run into the damn skip-shift the most.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I assure you that your car has it. It's annoying and could be dangerous when it kicks in.
That's what I'm afraid of. Were you at LX this year? I think I remember seeing your YJ there.

Try driving it like an economy car. I know it's hard to do, but that's when I run into the damn skip-shift the most.
Ya like that's ever going to happen. I have really tried to get it to kick in but it just won't.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I like to watch my oil temp and oil psi and check on my tire pressure sensors, and when you toggle thru those menus the car seems to be in a sort of info-feeding mode, that's where I've seen the skip shift message, upshift messages and one time it even told me I left my turn signal on...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
SKIP SHIFT BLOWS! It is a good way to get someone killed! Put the eliminator on it and forget about it! Mine would pull that shit at the most unexpected moment.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yup! mine did it to me a couple times. I drove around it until I put my tune in. Damn thing did it on an unprotected left turn, bogged down bad right in the intersection. Way underpowered for 4th. Said never again and just shifted early or late depending on the situation. Weird it hasn't done it to you though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Worst single "feature" ever built into a muscle car... Skip shift eliminator was the best 20+ dollars I have ever spent.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
you guys don't drive hard enough that's why u need a skip shift eliminator....

....ok...just relax...i was "kind of" kidding....

my 2012 SRT did it, my 2013 does it each time i play nice with it

bottom line push 1st and 2nd below 2k or above 3k and ur fine;

in 14 months i triggered that thing three times and 90% of the driving occurs in NYC

just drive like you stole it for Pete's sake

Cheers

ODP

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I 'baby' mine I can tell it's gonna wanna skip, I just ease off throttle a little longer and shift into second. You can feel it trying to force forth gear, just wait. Mostly I drive fairly hard through first, so it doesn't bother me. Best $20.00 I ever saved!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had my car almost a year and have put almost 9600 miles on it and have yet to get a "Skip Shift" message.
On my RT skip shift used to happen regularly, always at the worse time like taking a left across oncoming traffic. So I put in a skip shift eliminator. I've driven my SRT8 3600 miles and it's never happened. Same commute, same driving style, but never happened.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys I appreciate your responses.

you guys don't drive hard enough that's why u need a skip shift eliminator....

....ok...just relax...i was "kind of" kidding....

my 2012 SRT did it, my 2013 does it each time i play nice with it

bottom line push 1st and 2nd below 2k or above 3k and ur fine;

in 14 months i triggered that thing three times and 90% of the driving occurs in NYC

just drive like you stole it for Pete's sake

Cheers

ODP
I think you're on to something. I do drive it like I stole it. I really like the sound of motor and will never shift until after the power band 4-5.5K.
Most likely why I only get 13.2 mpg..........

On my RT skip shift used to happen regularly, always at the worse time like taking a left across oncoming traffic. So I put in a skip shift eliminator. I've driven my SRT8 3600 miles and it's never happened. Same commute, same driving style, but never happened.
That's what I was thinking. The 5.7 was under powered for such a heavy car where the 392 makes less TQ in the lower RPMs than the 5.7 so you wait for the power to come in before you shift and of course that isn't until after 3-4k.

It is funny though, even when I had tried, I can't get it to do it. Not that I don't want to spend $20 but........

`

Reactions: O_Racing

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate your responses.

I think you're on to something. I do drive it like I stole it. I really like the sound of motor and will never shift until after the power band 4-5.5K.
Most likely why I only get 13.2 mpg..........

That's what I was thinking. The 5.7 was under powered for such a heavy car where the 392 makes less TQ in the lower RPMs than the 5.7 so you wait for the power to come in before you shift and of course that isn't until after 3-4k.

It is funny though, even when I had tried, I can't get it to do it. Not that I don't want to spend $20 but........

`

ah! one who knows how to drive a challenger; nothing sweeter than 4 to 6k range sound

i beat you....i did 9.6 miles per gallon over the week end....sucking on that 93 like no tomorrow

love my diablo canned 93 tune...so fun

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the 13.2 is because I've never reset it since I bought the car new. I've had a couple of road trips where I have gotten it up to 18-19 range but as soon as I get back it drops like a rock.....all the while I'm burning up more of them old dinosaur bones and putting a big smile on my face. :)

`

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Maybe the dealer disabled it?

If you accelerate from 15-25 mph in 1st gear, the "1>4 shift" message will appear on the EVIC display. If it doesn't, somebody did something.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
what's the best custom tune?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I don't know what everyone is complaining about. That minor annoyance saved us $1k on the gas guzzlers tax and it only cost $20 to get rid of it. I love saving $980. :-D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know what everyone is complaining about. That minor annoyance saved us $1k on the gas guzzlers tax and it only cost $20 to get rid of it. I love saving $980. :-D
Not me I still had the $1000 GG tax on mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts