Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking about the part of the wheel the disc for the disc brakes is attached to. Expecially the rear, I look through those beautiful 20" classic wheels and see a whitish/rusty wheel hub.

That bothers me more than that the calipers are unpainted.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Never thought about that one! Maybe someone can photoshop a few examples for you?! I'd think it'd dress it up nicely, although without looking at the car right now, I'm not sure how much of the painted hub you'd see?!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never thought about that one! Maybe someone can photoshop a few examples for you?! I'd think it'd dress it up nicely, although without looking at the car right now, I'm not sure how much of the painted hub you'd see?!
On my car, the rears are much more noticeable. With the Classic wheels, you see most all of them- -

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I painted mine on the Challenger. I just painted them with cast iron gray because I didn't want to draw attention to them, just not have the rust showing. Don't paint the braking surface of the rotor of course.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I painted mine on the Challenger. I just painted them with cast iron gray because I didn't want to draw attention to them, just not have the rust showing. Don't paint the braking surface of the rotor of course.
Absolutely; I was even thinking a flat black. Black would show more dirt though, so gray is a better choice.

How much heat is generated there; do you need to use high temp paint?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I did this on an earlier Camaro Z28 for the same reason. Used Rustoleum flat black - worked great. Lasted for years - looked the same as day one when I traded for another car. Gray is a good choice - would show dirt/dust less.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I painted mine, used the black caliper paint. So far has lasted a year with no issues.

You are correct, with the classic wheels the hubs stand out like a sore thumb.

Mike

·
Registered
138 Posts
Already bought the clear coat & gray engine paint and I'm just waiting for the right day. I noticed this late last fall and its been on the list for a while now. The front wheels still look good but, I'm still going to hit them so they match the rears. I bought a clear coat & gray engine paint that closely matches the original color so chips won't be as noticeable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
paint'm if you got'm

If there rusty put on an inhibitor first. Then two coats of the color of your choice. Looks way better than primer or rust. Make sure that you paint inside or center far enough, SRT wheels do not cover the flat area completely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Gearbox's pics show what I painted as well, although I painted the entire center area as well... just because.

Mike

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I just noticed mine the other day that the front rotors were rusty. Thought about painting them too. If I can fine something like a DWB color.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well then, the hubs are completely hidden as the rotors covers them. why would you care about painting that?

Are you joking??? The rotor is the machined metal disc your brake pads rub against when you hit the brakes. The wheel hub has the studs coming out of it and sits inside the rotor. Yours is black as pictured. With the Classic wheels, the hub is not hidden, especially on the rear wheels. Mine look like they were primed some type of gray, but the surface rust shows on them as well, hence the original question.

If I'm off my nut, my apologies. I'm certainly not advocating painting what I consider the rotors.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts