Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't know. Honestly I know nothing about it but everyone tells me I won't pass

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Maybe you should do more research! Since stroking is all internal, as long as all the externals look right, the OBD tests pass as does any exhaust tests they might do, how would they know? AND, why would you fool with the engine at this point since you probably have some warranty left on your 13'?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just adding more displacement shouldn't hurt you on emissions, but if you add a more radical cam you will have difficulty passing.

Have you contacted any forum vendors to see if they have a kit that is CARB certified, or at least 'guaranteed' to pass emissions.

Have you posted anything in the California regional section, someone can probably steer you to a good performance shop that can give you the power you want while still passing emissions.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Just adding more displacement shouldn't hurt you on emissions, but if you add a more radical cam you will have difficulty passing.

Have you contacted any forum vendors to see if they have a kit that is CARB certified, or at least 'guaranteed' to pass emissions.

Have you posted anything in the California regional section, someone can probably steer you to a good performance shop that can give you the power you want while still passing emissions.

You gave him great advice man. Good looking out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
OBD II is just an emissions readiness test which checks for DTCs. That is different than a tail pipe sniff test, which I suspect CA performs.

It's not the additional displacement per se - it's a combination of additional displacement, the tune, the cam, LTs and HF cats (which don't scrub as well as factory cats). All of these contribute to increased levels of emissions which will then fail the sniff test.

The inspection shop may also do a physical inspection, and LTs and HF cats are a dead giveaway that the factory cats have been removed - and it can also fail for that alone. The only defense there is the use of a 'green' HF cat which has CARB certification (and I doubt they even exist).

If you do a stroker and decide to stay in CA, if you keep EVERYTHING else stock, it should pass emissions and visual inspection.

Reactions: PSM450 and wasp392

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I'd have to sell most of my firearms

....if I lived in California.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
^^THIS!

·
Registered
86 Posts
OP- I don't know what part of CA you live in, but where I am (Bay Area) there's a performance shop in San Jose that can probably give you some good input. They always work on Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, etc.. The name escapes me, I'll have to find it.

I work at a dealer and know a smog guy, he was telling me that they only do visual (CEL, under the hood, cats, etc). He then said "...but if you ever had trouble passing, just come see me". ha. Luckily I don't have to smog mine for a couple years, but I am not trying to do anything crazy to my R/T.... yet...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Older Post I know and not sure about California smog however I just came from a non emissions state to colorado and have a Stroked 392 with competitions cam, 6.4 injectors, 2009 Eagle Heads, in a 2003 block with a 2005 PCM, headers, and Hotwire harness, cold air intake, dual exhaust, Hp Tuners tune I did myself cutting and pasting files and making some adjustments here and there and I passed by quite a margin actually. It has some issues with cold start and idle fluctuates but after it is warmed up all seems to be great. I thought for certain I was going to fail. They didn't even throw it on the rollers it passed that easy just by idle and computer checks. Apparently I wrote the PCM just right or did enough to confuse them they couldn't figure things out. They did seem to have some technical issue on their end with the CAN system but after 20 minutes seemed to have straightened it out. I was probably 55% within passing HC etc... so there was quite a bit of room left for issue. What they didn't notice is the small exhaust leak I had at the right passenger side header which I was able to straighten out afterwards which should've thrown my oxygen sensors off and ran me rich. My guess now that is fixed I would've done even better. I built the engine myself. Be sure whoever builds yours knows what they are doing. Quality will prove a winner. Don't get crazy with the camshaft. I went two sizes smaller than I desired and i am not only happy with it I think I made the right choice as far as emissions turned out.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,641 Posts
Why not build 2 motors. Keep one on a stand in the garage (all stock) and swap it in before you go smog your car, get your sticker and swap the motor back for a year? Or maybe 2 PCMs one with a docile tune for the yearly smog test and one for the other 364 days? I don't have smog testing in my county in Ohio yet so I am not familiar with how to get around it yet.

Put the car in my name and I'll mail you the plates from Ohio.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Hi

CA smog for newish cars like our challenger is a joke now...

they plug in a computer and thats about it...

no they dont see if your programming is stock

yes. they see if there are visible mods

you have to remember... the smog guys are not even glorified mechanics, most of the times, they do not know what they are looking at...

if it "looks" stock, it is probably fine!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Older Post I know and not sure about California smog however I just came from a non emissions state to colorado and have a Stroked 392 with competitions cam, 6.4 injectors, 2009 Eagle Heads, in a 2003 block with a 2005 PCM, headers, and Hotwire harness, cold air intake, dual exhaust, Hp Tuners tune I did myself cutting and pasting files and making some adjustments here and there and I passed by quite a margin actually. It has some issues with cold start and idle fluctuates but after it is warmed up all seems to be great. I thought for certain I was going to fail. They didn't even throw it on the rollers it passed that easy just by idle and computer checks. Apparently I wrote the PCM just right or did enough to confuse them they couldn't figure things out. They did seem to have some technical issue on their end with the CAN system but after 20 minutes seemed to have straightened it out. I was probably 55% within passing HC etc... so there was quite a bit of room left for issue. What they didn't notice is the small exhaust leak I had at the right passenger side header which I was able to straighten out afterwards which should've thrown my oxygen sensors off and ran me rich. My guess now that is fixed I would've done even better. I built the engine myself. Be sure whoever builds yours knows what they are doing. Quality will prove a winner. Don't get crazy with the camshaft. I went two sizes smaller than I desired and i am not only happy with it I think I made the right choice as far as emissions turned out.
Did you have to re-tune for altitude Brian?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts