Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode in a Hellcat for the first time - it was awesome. But it wasn't so fast that I was that impressed. Thinking I need to drive one to fully appreciate it. I then let the owner drive mine, he couldn't believe how fast it was - he was thoroughly impressed. I think he was more impressed with mine than I was with his.

Anyone else have this experience?? Or am I just looney and deraigned? Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Hellcat in a minute but I think I expected a little more that's all.

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
602 Posts
Rode in a Hellcat for the first time - it was awesome. But it wasn't so fast that I was that impressed. Thinking I need to drive one to fully appreciate it. I then let the owner drive mine, he couldn't believe how fast it was - he was thoroughly impressed. I think he was more impressed with mine than I was with his.

Anyone else have this experience?? Or am I just looney and deraigned? Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Hellcat in a minute but I think I expected a little more that's all.

Are you saying your modded Scat Pack is faster than a Hellcat?

What kind of dyno numbers or track times is your SP running?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying your modded Scat Pack is faster than a Hellcat?

What kind of dyno numbers or track times is your SP running?
Not a chance. No way. Read what I wrote - I just expected maybe too much that's all. And I do think the Hellcat really kicks in (supercharger) at speeds around 70 and up. You own one - is that true about the supercharger??

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not a chance. No way. Read what I wrote - I just expected maybe too much that's all. And I do think the Hellcat really kicks in (supercharger) at speeds around 70 and up. You own one - is that true about the supercharger??

Ok, I just did not know what kind of power your modded SP was putting out.

There is a BIG difference in how the Hellcat feels in how you set up your Custom Mode and what kind of rear tires you are running.

In order to feel the FULL potential of the Hellcat you need to run it in Sport Mode with a good set of wide sticky rear tires and know how to drive the car.

Many Hellcat owners run around in street mode with OEM 275 street tires on the rear then wonder why the car does not feel that fast.

The torque comes on quick with the twin screw supercharger. No need to be at 70 mph or more.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ok, I just did not know what kind of power your modded SP was putting out.

There is a BIG difference in how the Hellcat feels in how you set up your Custom Mode and what kind of rear tires you are running.

In order to feel the FULL potential of the Hellcat you need to run it in Sport Mode with a good set of wide sticky rear tires and know how to drive the car.

Many Hellcat owners run around in street mode with OEM 275 street tires on the rear then wonder why the car does not feel that fast.

The torque comes on quick with the twin screw supercharger. No need to be at 70 mph or more.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Going To Get Some Groceries In The Hellcat - YouTube
This is what happened to me with the vortech C6 I had. The car would rip the tires off in just about any gear on the street. I got beat in every race. It felt slow because all the power was so unusable. Then I got to the track with it on a set of DRs. The car wanted to pull your head off and I was able to trap 135 while peddling it in 1,2 and some of 3. Traction really can change your prospective Got a wake up with my Scat A8 too when I was able to best my 4.7 0-60 with a 3.6 0-60 on my new MT ET Street Rs.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is what happened to me with the vortech C6 I had. The car would rip the tires off in just about any gear on the street. I got beat in every race. It felt slow because all the power was so unusable. Then I got to the track with it on a set of DRs. The car wanted to pull your head off and I was able to trap 135 while peddling it in 1,2 and some of 3. Traction really can change your prospective Got a wake up with my Scat A8 too when I was able to best my 4.7 0-60 with a 3.6 0-60 on my new MT ET Street Rs.

Are those 18" or 20" MT ET Street R's?

I have been thinking about getting an extra set of 18" wheels and wrap them in 305/45/18 MT ET Rs for weekend fun on the street.

My Toyo 20" R888R's do go good, but I think the 18" R's would be a neck snapper. lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
Are those 18" or 20" MT ET Street R's?

I have been thinking about getting an extra set of 18" wheels and wrap them in 305/45/18 MT ET Rs for weekend fun on the street.

My Toyo 20" R888R's do go good, but I think the 18" R's would be a neck snapper. lol
18"s. They are the bravado wheels/MT package that everyone buys for these cars. They rock.

·
Vendor
12,555 Posts
Bigred's room mate is a Go Mango Kitty Cat......and its a friggin blast to drive, didn't realize how great it is until I drove home an older ZR1 supercharged Vet.....
Luke

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I've driven my friend's 2017 Hellcat and it's amazing for the most part. If you're comparing to a SRT or Scat Pack I can see why some will not notice too much difference especially for 212+HP. Don't get me wrong, you definitely feel the power difference but as some has mentioned, you'll not going to get the full affect until you switch wheels/tires. With stock tires, you really can't put the HP to the ground effectively and again why some have said what they said.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I went from a stock 5.7 to a supercharged, full exhaust/headers setup. It was almost 200 more wheel hp. I was expecting it to be a night and day difference. Of course It had a lot more power, wheel spin, etc. I went from losing to coyotes and scat packs, to beating them by a few car lengths at the top of fourth. But wasn't a big pin me in my seat difference. Certainly not the dramatic difference I was expecting. Matter of fact, if I drove them one right after another they would feel semi close. I notice the power more when I'm pulling away from other traffic when getting into it vs just getting on it alone. I think when we expect it the most is when we notice and/or appreciate it the least.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,993 Posts
I never felt that my Scatpack would get away from me. My Hellcat scares me some times.

Abso-frickin-lutly. My butt is in constant pucker mode in the Hellcat. That car has scared me a couple of times by how quickly it gains speed. And I drove a 2018 R/T Scat Pack for 2 months before I bought the Hellcat and I drove a 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (420hp, 413 torque, 3400lbs) for 8 years before I bought the R/T Scat Pack. (And a 2006 Pontiac GTO with 400hp, 400 torque.)

Even though the Hellcat can and does scare me sometimes -- and I constantly utter the mantra under my breath: be cool don't be a fool; while driving the Hellcat I love my Hellcat.

Daily I think of trading in my new Mini JCW and buying a 2nd Hellcat so I can drive a Hellcat all the time.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Abso-frickin-lutly. My butt is in constant pucker mode in the Hellcat. That car has scared me a couple of times by how quickly it gains speed. And I drove a 2018 R/T Scat Pack for 2 months before I bought the Hellcat and I drove a 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (420hp, 413 torque, 3400lbs) for 8 years before I bought the R/T Scat Pack. (And a 2006 Pontiac GTO with 400hp, 400 torque.)

Even though the Hellcat can and does scare me sometimes -- and I constantly utter the mantra under my breath: be cool don't be a fool; while driving the Hellcat I love my Hellcat.

Daily I think of trading in my new Mini JCW and buying a 2nd Hellcat so I can drive a Hellcat all the time.
I find that the secret is to have that “ I meant to do that look on my face” I definitely need to get some Nittos on the back of this thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve been really fortunate here, in that joining the local SRT club has afforded me the chance to meet some really nice people, and swap opportunities to drive some cars.

Tires do make one heck of a difference, but one of the things that people also tend to ignore is the difference in gear ratios between the Scat and the Hellcat.

My Scat A8 has the 3.90 rear gears (stock), and was plenty fast with good tires on it. Adding the blower, it’s right on the edge of unusable at WOT off the line, and really needs to have the suspension redone in order to get more of the tire to the ground more of the time. Until that happens, it’s my suspicion that I’d be spending more of my time fighting it around the track than driving it. Similar power to the wheels as the new Alfa Romeo, but without the all-wheel drive and a little more weight.

The Hellcat has the 2.92 gears(?) in the auto- it’s not going to spin up as fast off the line as it would with a shorter first and second gear or final ratio. What should be telling, is that it still not only keeps up with the Scat, but keeps pulling better and harder through the rest. To me, that’s where the extra horsepower and torque really shines through- not so much on the launch, which is probably tamed over what running it with something like a 3.40 would feel like on slicks, much less a 3.90 or a 4.10.

If you’ve ever seen videos of classic vs. current muscle at the drag strip and thought “man, the old cars just launch so much harder,” remember that lots of those adjustments in tires, suspension, and gearing were done to match a lot of work to optimize them for just that event- and a Hellcat with drag radials and a competent driver will still take almost all of them that don’t run under 10.00 by the end of the quarter while being significantly heavier. The ones it doesn’t are going to be purpose modified to either run 10.00 bracket races and/or heavily modified for just the strip, and probably a bit more difficult to daily drive.

It doesn’t feel like a huge difference on launch. It makes it’s money never letting go after the launch. It’s a damn fast car, and it takes some hard pulls to really appreciate the work Dodge put into it to sell it as a daily driver street/strip car off the lot- not too many others you could swap rims and tires at the strip, run what it does with no other changes, and drive it back home after at that level of luxury.

That being said... I will continue to build until I toast them all with taillights :grin2:

Cheers,

Chuck

·
Registered
156 Posts

I was at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Conn. a few weeks ago.
Waited over an hour for a 30 second half sideways ride around a short track.
It was worth it.>:)

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,371 Posts
I was listening to that Hellcat going through the gears. Couldn't help but notice that the first/second shift produced a very small drop in RPMs but the second/third shift DID. This reminds me of something I've wondered about for quite a while: why is it that gear ratios are never evenly spaced?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I’ve been really fortunate here, in that joining the local SRT club has afforded me the chance to meet some really nice people, and swap opportunities to drive some cars.

Tires do make one heck of a difference, but one of the things that people also tend to ignore is the difference in gear ratios between the Scat and the Hellcat.

My Scat A8 has the 3.90 rear gears (stock), and was plenty fast with good tires on it. Adding the blower, it’s right on the edge of unusable at WOT off the line, and really needs to have the suspension redone in order to get more of the tire to the ground more of the time. Until that happens, it’s my suspicion that I’d be spending more of my time fighting it around the track than driving it. Similar power to the wheels as the new Alfa Romeo, but without the all-wheel drive and a little more weight.

The Hellcat has the 2.92 gears(?) in the auto- it’s not going to spin up as fast off the line as it would with a shorter first and second gear or final ratio. What should be telling, is that it still not only keeps up with the Scat, but keeps pulling better and harder through the rest. To me, that’s where the extra horsepower and torque really shines through- not so much on the launch, which is probably tamed over what running it with something like a 3.40 would feel like on slicks, much less a 3.90 or a 4.10.

If you’ve ever seen videos of classic vs. current muscle at the drag strip and thought “man, the old cars just launch so much harder,” remember that lots of those adjustments in tires, suspension, and gearing were done to match a lot of work to optimize them for just that event- and a Hellcat with drag radials and a competent driver will still take almost all of them that don’t run under 10.00 by the end of the quarter while being significantly heavier. The ones it doesn’t are going to be purpose modified to either run 10.00 bracket races and/or heavily modified for just the strip, and probably a bit more difficult to daily drive.

It doesn’t feel like a huge difference on launch. It makes it’s money never letting go after the launch. It’s a damn fast car, and it takes some hard pulls to really appreciate the work Dodge put into it to sell it as a daily driver street/strip car off the lot- not too many others you could swap rims and tires at the strip, run what it does with no other changes, and drive it back home after at that level of luxury.

That being said... I will continue to build until I toast them all with taillights :grin2:

Cheers,

Chuck
I tell everyone that my 67 Chevelle SS with a done 454 M22 4 gear and 4:10 rear felt so much fast off the line. My Cat would blow the Chevelle away but if the SS didn’t have a headrest it felt like my head would be in the back seat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ive owned a 15 HC A8 and now have a 392 T/A M6. Driving a HC is a different experience than riding in one. HC is instant power all the time. Its a monster and even better with 305s on the back that dont just spin like the 275s. For a fun car, HC all day all the time. If cost is a concern and you are going to wear it out fast by driving it a billion miles, 392 is a better way to go Less maintenence lower repair costs and 2/3 the power, but still all the fun

·
Registered
148 Posts
I never felt that my Scatpack would get away from me. My Hellcat scares me some times.
As a relatively new Hellcat owner I can attest to this. Black key ECO is a piece of cake. Black key track or sport is fun and I have a pretty good handle on the car. Red Key 707 HP mode is like putting a tiger on a leash and walking it around the block. I am still trying to get a handle on all that power.

Clevetown, what driving mode was the car in when you rode in it? Was he using the black key?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts