Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Anyone ride in a Hellcat?? Your thoughts??

15K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  Pioneer4x4 
#1 ·
Rode in a Hellcat for the first time - it was awesome. But it wasn't so fast that I was that impressed. Thinking I need to drive one to fully appreciate it. I then let the owner drive mine, he couldn't believe how fast it was - he was thoroughly impressed. I think he was more impressed with mine than I was with his.

Anyone else have this experience?? Or am I just looney and deraigned? Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Hellcat in a minute but I think I expected a little more that's all.

Reactions: Dub
#2 ·
Rode in a Hellcat for the first time - it was awesome. But it wasn't so fast that I was that impressed. Thinking I need to drive one to fully appreciate it. I then let the owner drive mine, he couldn't believe how fast it was - he was thoroughly impressed. I think he was more impressed with mine than I was with his.

Anyone else have this experience?? Or am I just looney and deraigned? Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Hellcat in a minute but I think I expected a little more that's all.

Are you saying your modded Scat Pack is faster than a Hellcat?

What kind of dyno numbers or track times is your SP running?

#3 ·
Are you saying your modded Scat Pack is faster than a Hellcat?

What kind of dyno numbers or track times is your SP running?
Not a chance. No way. Read what I wrote - I just expected maybe too much that's all. And I do think the Hellcat really kicks in (supercharger) at speeds around 70 and up. You own one - is that true about the supercharger??

#10 ·
I've driven my friend's 2017 Hellcat and it's amazing for the most part. If you're comparing to a SRT or Scat Pack I can see why some will not notice too much difference especially for 212+HP. Don't get me wrong, you definitely feel the power difference but as some has mentioned, you'll not going to get the full affect until you switch wheels/tires. With stock tires, you really can't put the HP to the ground effectively and again why some have said what they said.

#11 · (Edited)
I went from a stock 5.7 to a supercharged, full exhaust/headers setup. It was almost 200 more wheel hp. I was expecting it to be a night and day difference. Of course It had a lot more power, wheel spin, etc. I went from losing to coyotes and scat packs, to beating them by a few car lengths at the top of fourth. But wasn't a big pin me in my seat difference. Certainly not the dramatic difference I was expecting. Matter of fact, if I drove them one right after another they would feel semi close. I notice the power more when I'm pulling away from other traffic when getting into it vs just getting on it alone. I think when we expect it the most is when we notice and/or appreciate it the least.

#13 ·
Abso-frickin-lutly. My butt is in constant pucker mode in the Hellcat. That car has scared me a couple of times by how quickly it gains speed. And I drove a 2018 R/T Scat Pack for 2 months before I bought the Hellcat and I drove a 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (420hp, 413 torque, 3400lbs) for 8 years before I bought the R/T Scat Pack. (And a 2006 Pontiac GTO with 400hp, 400 torque.)

Even though the Hellcat can and does scare me sometimes -- and I constantly utter the mantra under my breath: be cool don't be a fool; while driving the Hellcat I love my Hellcat.

Daily I think of trading in my new Mini JCW and buying a 2nd Hellcat so I can drive a Hellcat all the time.

#15 ·
I’ve been really fortunate here, in that joining the local SRT club has afforded me the chance to meet some really nice people, and swap opportunities to drive some cars.

Tires do make one heck of a difference, but one of the things that people also tend to ignore is the difference in gear ratios between the Scat and the Hellcat.

My Scat A8 has the 3.90 rear gears (stock), and was plenty fast with good tires on it. Adding the blower, it’s right on the edge of unusable at WOT off the line, and really needs to have the suspension redone in order to get more of the tire to the ground more of the time. Until that happens, it’s my suspicion that I’d be spending more of my time fighting it around the track than driving it. Similar power to the wheels as the new Alfa Romeo, but without the all-wheel drive and a little more weight.

The Hellcat has the 2.92 gears(?) in the auto- it’s not going to spin up as fast off the line as it would with a shorter first and second gear or final ratio. What should be telling, is that it still not only keeps up with the Scat, but keeps pulling better and harder through the rest. To me, that’s where the extra horsepower and torque really shines through- not so much on the launch, which is probably tamed over what running it with something like a 3.40 would feel like on slicks, much less a 3.90 or a 4.10.

If you’ve ever seen videos of classic vs. current muscle at the drag strip and thought “man, the old cars just launch so much harder,” remember that lots of those adjustments in tires, suspension, and gearing were done to match a lot of work to optimize them for just that event- and a Hellcat with drag radials and a competent driver will still take almost all of them that don’t run under 10.00 by the end of the quarter while being significantly heavier. The ones it doesn’t are going to be purpose modified to either run 10.00 bracket races and/or heavily modified for just the strip, and probably a bit more difficult to daily drive.

It doesn’t feel like a huge difference on launch. It makes it’s money never letting go after the launch. It’s a damn fast car, and it takes some hard pulls to really appreciate the work Dodge put into it to sell it as a daily driver street/strip car off the lot- not too many others you could swap rims and tires at the strip, run what it does with no other changes, and drive it back home after at that level of luxury.

That being said... I will continue to build until I toast them all with taillights :grin2:

Cheers,

Chuck

#17 ·
I was listening to that Hellcat going through the gears. Couldn't help but notice that the first/second shift produced a very small drop in RPMs but the second/third shift DID. This reminds me of something I've wondered about for quite a while: why is it that gear ratios are never evenly spaced?

#19 ·
Ive owned a 15 HC A8 and now have a 392 T/A M6. Driving a HC is a different experience than riding in one. HC is instant power all the time. Its a monster and even better with 305s on the back that dont just spin like the 275s. For a fun car, HC all day all the time. If cost is a concern and you are going to wear it out fast by driving it a billion miles, 392 is a better way to go Less maintenence lower repair costs and 2/3 the power, but still all the fun

#21 ·
4:30 mark :)

A Guy

Reactions: jakoye23
#22 ·
4:30 mark :)

I Drove the Dodge Challenger Hellcat (And I Almost Crashed It) - YouTube

A Guy
His automotive acumen (or lack thereof) really revealed itself when he showed his evidence to back up his claim about "the worst visibility of any modern car." Never mind any other car he is driving, but when driving a Hellcat, if you take your eyes off the road even for an instant to look over your shoulder like that, you are inviting trouble.

He should learn to adjust the side-view mirrors outward so they monitor those blindspots for him, and then he can keep his eyes on the road and save the rest of us a whole lotta heartache.

#24 ·
I have a cousin in Georgia who's Hellcat I rode in. The car only has something like a few hundred miles on it, so the full power had not been unleashed at that point. Still, after the car warmed up a bit; there was one point where he really put on the gas (for a very short period of time) and it was impressive, but nothing like riding in a friend's Bugatti which I did once, and I did feel the full force of that. That was unlike anything I've ever experience before. I've never experienced the ground blurring below me ever that way in my life.

#25 ·
I own a 2016 Challenger HELLCAT and don't get the big deal.
Mines a friken rocket A8 and I get 25 mpg @ 70-80mpg.
I only use the RED key.
I have drivin it to Florida from NY twice, the car is fast and has great comfort.
I have NO PROBLEM in traffic at all [passing others cars]
I just hate the Turds in the other cars that drive along side of me for a mile or 2 and then I have to hit the GO pedal and say goodbye.
I have had the older muscle cars too, but man, this modern muscle, you can get in it and take it any where..........LOVE MY CAT.........

#28 ·
One of the nice things about modding the Scat was that it helped me appreciate the power it had... and what I wanted to change about it once I got used to it.

Having driven both side by side, and with a blower on the Scat, is the constantly pleasing experience of daily driving. Neither has been a problem managing to not smash the skinny petal... but having the opportunity when it presents and having it on tap is always nice.

Not having any issues in the rain or snow. Had the same concern. I’m going to try the NT05Rs next year, but the NT555Rs have been totally fine so long as I do my part in the wet weather.

In traffic, it’s a big, comfy car that drives well and looks good. But, thank the maker of bacon for on-ramps...

#33 ·
Mine is a 2018 and full 707 power was limited until I reached 500 miles. Many of the options, settings and goodies in SRT Mode were not even available until I reached the 500 mile mark on the odometer. Dodge has made this change with the newer HC cars so that people don't drive the car off the lot and kill themselves.

Reactions: 55553
#42 ·
I had one also. It was my favorite car of all time. I had a ‘15 HC and now a ‘19 REWB. They are not comparable for their ride. But if you liked the 300C SRT you will love the firm ride and handling of a Hellcat. Also the big interior and visibility out of the Hellcat will be comfortable and familiar coming from a 300C, it feels at home, but you get a HUGE performance upgrade all around.

#44 ·
some here are trying to compare a hellcat to a 70s muscle car. Heres my take on it. Im an old timer and owned a few muscle cars. a 340 duster (quick in its day) a 440 gtx (really quick in its day) an ls6 70 chevelle ss (about as quick as it got in the past) and a grand national i bought new and modded that was as quick as the chevelle. Yup the 454 was quick but seat of the pants doesnt tell the story. My srt 6.4 would whip it and the GN. But both of those cars felt faster. Why? For one they were bricks that handled like crap especially the chevelle. Driving either at a 100mph would make you pucker and really pay attention and that goes doubly for for gtx! The srt will cruise at a 100 as well as those other cars did at 70. Also power delivery is just so much smoother. The 454 felt like a bomb going off the gn had turbo lag so bad that youd come out of the hole without much wheel spin and at about 30 would go sideways so youd best be paying attention. I can see why a hellcat with an nice smooth 8 speed auto wouldnt give the seat of the pants browning an ls6 4 speed and a 410 rear would. But at the end of the quarter your going to know that hellcats license plate number and might want to look quick before its to far away to read. I did alot of street racing back in the day. Raced about every muscle car out there with my ls6. Lost to very few. Id gladly go back in time with even my 6.4 and am pretty sure i could make a living just off of street racing with that car. Hell cat/redeye/demon?? Some of the old pro stock cars would get nervous if you had a set of slicks. Same could be said about a gt500 or a zl1 too. Heck my 5.7 ram would probably scare the crap out of my 340 duster or 396 chevelle or 389 goat. The old cars a very visceral. You feel and smell MUSCLE CAR. But today is the real golden age of muscle cars. You young guys are lucky to be living in this age. Im old enough that there isnt going to be many years before i just cant drive one like it was to drive. Good thing is if hellcats were sold when i was in my 20s i probably wouldnt be here posting this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.