Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that once my 245 on all fours wear out I will go with the staggered look on my Heritage rims. I've decided on 245/45 in the front and 265/40 in the rear. After much deliberation and research, although some run 275s on the back, I think that's pushing the tire too much to the limit where problems *could* occur. Not wanting to stagger with 255s in the back, it's not worth it for that small of a change, so I want to go 265/40 in the rear. Anyone have experiences with this on an 8" rim, and if so please tell and pics would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
474 Posts
I do not have experience but if you go with 245X45-20 fronts and 265X40-20 rears the dia. of the front tires will exceed the dia. of the rears. Granted, not much but you will be able to tell once everything is installed and the car is on the ground. 265 is a good compromise but you might want to consider a 45 profile instead of a 40. The issue will then be very limited choices (245X45-20 fronts & 265X45-20 rears) however, it would be a very good look.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
slap some 275/40s on the rear and call it a day

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slap some 275/40s on the rear and call it a day
The prices of 265 tires are INSANE, probably because theres not a market for them. As much as I go back and forth I talked to a reputable shop with a guy who has been doing tires for 50 years (owner of the shop), he said that he would do 275 in the back no problem. I bet if he truly felt it was unsafe and that it would be a liabilty he wouldn't encourage me to try the 275s.

I want a longer lasting tire so I may go with the General G Max tires. I've heard nothing but great things about them. Thebig name companies are too much for me, I don't want to spend over a grand for four tires and install.

Reactions: dodgetony

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Cannonballcobb" is quite right. Several folks I know are running 275/40Z20's on all four corners and haven't had an issue of any kind.

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"
Wait, both you guys have 9" wheels, are you saying no issues on the SRT 9" wheel, or no issues with the 8" R/T Wheels?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have 10s in the rear...

go with the 275/40s on your 20x8 if you want, many have done this already with no reported failures to date.

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've been running 275/40 Nitto Invos on my stock chrome clads for almost a year now with no problems. My cars a daily driver too

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If you feel comfortable with the width, the 275s would look better than the 265s if you're going to stagger with 245s up front.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you feel comfortable with the width, the 275s would look better than the 265s if you're going to stagger with 245s up front.
Yeah I'm comfortable now. Never heard of anyone having a blowout OR premature wear from 275 on an 8" rim. The best tire shops in Omaha would agree to install it. 275 or bust!!!!:browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing i need more rubber out back, i cant believe these came with 8" rims!I even thought about having them widened??

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been thinking the same thing i need more rubber out back, i cant believe these came with 8" rims!I even thought about having them widened??

Widening costs about $600, and if you go REAL wide you may need spacers.

275 on an 8" is the max, and I will be happy with that. If I had a blower and was running 450-550 rwhp I would get my wheels widened and get some 295s.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
275-40 on the stock 8.5" rims fit nicely and are 1" wider and keep the same diameter so there is not speedo issues. When I wear these out, going to fit some 345-30ZR20's on some 20x12's under the rear. The front tires need to stay the same height as stock or they will hit the threaded part of the upper ball joint.

I can not rotate the tires now due to the different tire widths and the tires are directional so that pretty much locks all the tires into one corner of the car. So far 10k on them and no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
275-40 on the stock 8.5" rims fit nicely and are 1" wider and keep the same diameter so there is not speedo issues. When I wear these out, going to fit some 345-30ZR20's on some 20x12's under the rear. The front tires need to stay the same height as stock or they will hit the threaded part of the upper ball joint.

I can not rotate the tires now due to the different tire widths and the tires are directional so that pretty much locks all the tires into one corner of the car. So far 10k on them and no issues.
Im pretty sure the classics are 8" not 8 1/2"???

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Im pretty sure the classics are 8" not 8 1/2"???
Yea, I think your right. I was probably thinking about the rims on my trike with that (18x15.5). Still 8 or 8.5 does not equal the 9" Dodge is advertising them as. Dodge is measuring the outside lips of the rims to get that 9" and that's not how rims are measured and never have been.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T Classic
19 Posts
OmahaRumble Tire Status

OmahaRumble,
Did you get the 275s? If so can you post some pictures.
I would be interested in the same setup and would like to see how
they sit on your ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts