Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at trying to run higher blend ethanol fuels for an octane increase. We do not have 93 available here but blender pumps are popping up all the time. Does anyone run e30 or higher on their n/a 5.7? It seems with the high static compression ratio of these engines we could take advantage of the higher octane with a tune?

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
I run e0.

One local station has 91 "pure gas", and my R/TC runs smoother, pulls stronger, and gets better mileage with this no ethanol gas.

I'll only use an ethanol blend when out on a road trip, and pure gas is not available. Tried every octane from 89-93 over the years, but the blended fuels just don't perform as well as the 91 pure, at least in my Challenger.

Still have the factory stock tune too.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Everything I've read says DO NOT run anything higher than E10 in a Challenger or any car that's not a FlexFuel vehicle.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have Flex-fuel in my Chevy Suburban. The price is cheaper per gallon by about 70 cents on average. Its a total waste of money. My wife only gets about 10-12 mpg around town because she hardly takes it out for a long ride. When we put in E85....it drops to 8 mpg or less. Have to fill up more frequently. Total waste ! I now believe it was invented just to make money for the farmers. Since my commute is under 20 miles each way, I will probably be better off looking for a electric or hybrid. They do cost too much right now to actually save any money. Anyone out there have an electric vehicle? What are your experiences.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ethanol is actually a better fuel when the engine is designed for it. E85 is around 108 octane, but has the side effect of burning cooler keeping temps down. Mileage is decreased since you need 30% more fuel since ethanol has less btus per gallon. I ran e85 in my dodge stealth 10:1 twin turbo, I had to change the fuel pump for higher flow and the injectors to match. It allowed me to turn up the boost from 8lbs on 91 to 18 on e85. I haven't seen anyone talk about the flow limits of the stock injectors or fuel pump on the 5.7?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
So how is it a "better" fuel if it has less BTU/gal? As a racing fuel for track cars, perhaps...but to power an entire national fleet for consumers? Total waste of money, resources, and probably accelerated "global warming" effects as an end result, after all is said and done. To credibly make up for the energy loss, it needs to be dirt cheap. The right engine for it would need to have Atkinson-cycle like compression ratios.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i have e30 mix in my last tank, i add 10% more fuel and 3 degree timing with diablo intune, she like it a lot, she pull smooth and strong true the rpm range.....

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
You really want to potentially damage that engine?

The new orange label displays “E15″ in large type and states that the fuel is for use only in 2001 or newer model-year vehicles or flex-fuel vehicles, and that it is illegal to use it in other vehicles or in power equipment such as lawnmowers.

In response to the release of the labels, nine automakers—including Chrysler, General Motors, and Toyota—wasted no time writing letters to Congress criticizing the proposal and noting that they will not honor warranties for older cars running on E15. The automakers say they are concerned about the effects of E15 on engines, fuel pumps, and other fuel-system components in cars that were not designed for it. (Learn more about ethanol: “The great ethanol debate.”)

In January, the EPA approved the use of E15 in all cars from the 2001 model year on. The only cars that would be warranted for use of the new fuel are flex-fuel vehicles, which are designed to use concentrations of ethanol up to 85 percent (E85).

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/page/-/rf...dations 2012 2013 2014 2013.10.30.pdf?nocdn=1

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
nothing gonna happened to the engine at all,people are frick out of this e85 like is some sort of still eating chemical,the cars now day are made to sustain ethanol, you are tune away from burning that nice clean burning fuel,i have bean using ethanol in my non flex fuel grand marquis for years with out tune no problem what so ever, i mix in my 300c 5.7 hemi all the time and she love it,i have bean running it in my mustang for years with out tune 50\50 for years no problem at all........in fact right now i have mix 50\50 in it she runs great.
she rumbles away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsG2ZJEgrl8&list=UUwsdlpECf3byAruDKp1RB1A

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Fuel system not designed for high ethanol do not have the correct seal and soft parts to take it very long. Plus if the cars not tuned for it, it generally won't help much. I have a flex fuel vehicle and it senses what fuel is being used and adapts to it. It's true, it has less BTU energy in it so your mileage will go DOWN. The higher octane resists ignition because of it's higher octane number so you can add more ignition timing (or you won't get as much knock retard).

My flex fuel truck get 10-20% less mileage and it's usually a cranks a little longer on a cold morning so i rarely use it in the winter since ethanol attracts water and who need that below 0?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I add gallon of e-85 to 18 gallons of 93 octane e-10 , no pure gas within 100 miles of me. It increases octane to 97-98 , allows maximum timing advance with no knock retard, may impact mileage 5% but its almost impossible to takeoff without spinning my now not so new BFG Comp2's.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,773 Posts
There is one thing the e85 is good for: testing whether or not your Pentastar has one of the suspect heads that they extended warranties for and are replacing all hush-hush.

If you've got one of the bad heads, and you run e85, you'll soon be getting a new head for the left side of your motor for free, courtesy of dodge...but you didn't hear this from me.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Ethanol is not crap it is a much safer octane improver than MBTE or tetraethyl lead both of which have been banned by the EPA. They are carcinagens. Making higher octane pure gas reduces the amount of gasoline you can get out of a barrel of crude and increases the cost to the consumer.Yes ethanol gets lower fuel economy and mixes with the water that naturally forms in your tank which is a good thing, it cools the charge and makes more power . I only have 23 years operating a crude distillation unit, so I do know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Some people are just stubborn, but if you look in the history henry ford have flex fuel model t it is in museum in detroit, runs on full ethanol or pure gassoline, if he didn't have a problem rusting and damiging rubber back than, I don't think is a problem now, people don't get that the ethanol burns cleaner improve emission don't spark knock you can make so much more power running e85 than gass...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just my .02: Ethanol is not a scare, but I'd rather not have it anyhow. As far as I can tell, the ethanol requirement in gasoline is a political one. You may be able to justify that the US burns less gas when you add ethanol to the gasoline, but you also reduce mpg. Also, the ethanol used in gasoline is anhydrous (attracts water like crazy), which shouldn't be an issue because the holding tanks at fuel stations are supposed to detect water at the bottom. But, ethanol can still hold water and stay in solution, so your gas/ethanol mix can have some water in it and you'd never know it. Water absorption can drop your octane rating by up to 4 points, and when the ethanol combines with water, it also creates acids.

Theoretically your mileage should only decrease 3.3% or so. Also, since ethanol has higher octane (110) than your gasoline, the 93 octane gasoline you're buying is really about 87, prior to ethanol addition (read: cheaper to produce 87 than 93). Using ethanol actually creates more smog than using regular gas, and the EPA's own attorneys had to admit that fact in front of the justices presiding over the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in 1995 (API v. EPA).

Also, there have been numerous articles written about fuel system failures due to the "up to 10% ethanol" actually being as high as 17%, which is saionara for your fuel system, if your vehicle isn't flex fuel capable. Granted, those instances where they found the high ethanol content was blamed on a mixing error by the distributor, but it happened, all the same.

All in all, it's kinda like the "which oil is better" debate. I personally would rather have straight gasoline, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have bean running E85 mix up to 50/50 in my mustang for years with out tine no problem and she like it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.