Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone running the SMS wheels? If so, how do you like 'em?
They look similar to the stock SRT wheel.
They come in 9" fronts and 10" rears. The offset is +18 so they must go right to the lip like I like it. I think they are cheap..$1300 for a set.
...and if you know how much they weigh that is a bonus.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
They're a good looking wheel. They have a real close resemblance to the stock SRT8 wheel, with just a split in the spoke. I was looking at them, too. Especially, because of the staggered fitment, and there was a vendor selling set really cheap on Ebay. At first they were $799 for a staggered set in painted silver. The chrome set was either $999, or $1099, which was still great.
I asked the vendor if the wheels were cast, or forged. And, here was the reply I received;

"These are one piece cast, alloy, 38Lbs front
40LBS rear....
price will be going up once we sell out of this group..."

I couldn't believe the weight. I think 22" Viper replicas weigh that much. Good looking wheel, but they weigh a ton. lol Stock Challenger SRT8 wheel weighs 26, or 27 lbs.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^^^
Thanks for the weight. 40lb? Man, where is all that weight?
You would think SMS would make lighter wheels for their cars. Well It goes to show you, Steve Saleen is all looks and no go. Figures.
Man, the stock SRT wheels are lookin' better and better...At 27lbs they are one of the lightest 20's out there. Too bad they don't come in a 10" rear. I would take them at 30lbs.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. I was shocked to see that kind of weight. Especially with that split in the spokes, which took away some material. I was also surprised to see they were cast. I figured a car like the SMS (considering the price tag) would have forged wheels. Stock SRT8s come with forged wheels. But, then I also read that the Hurst wheels for our cars were cast, too. I wonder how much they weigh..

·
Banned
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Hurst's are 34lbs which isn't too bad. It is a beefy rim with more material. The $6000 HRE Hurst rims are forged and weigh less.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Oh thanks boatman, what a coincidence... posted right after my post. I am playing lotto tomorrow:guiness:
No problem:thumbsup: I keep track of that thread. I like looking at all the different wheels. I have mine ordered there not here yet, hopefully in a few weeks.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem:thumbsup: I keep track of that thread. I like looking at all the different wheels. I have mine ordered there not here yet, hopefully in a few weeks.
I keep track too... I haven't seen yours on a Challenger yet...make sure you post quick! they look sweet.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts