Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering buying the trinity 2 with pcm swap. Has anyone run this? If so how is it? Whats your opinion of it? Any issues?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just installed one yesterday on my '17 T/A 392. Diablosport is good, but a lot of people are using HP Tuners as well, which I hear is better if you're into tuning yourself. What questions do you have?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed one yesterday on my '17 T/A 392. Diablosport is good, but a lot of people are using HP Tuners as well, which I hear is better if you're into tuning yourself. What questions do you have?
looking to tune my '18 T/A 392 A-8, what hp/tq gain did you get?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a '17 M6. I'm running the 93 canned tune but haven't noticed a whole lot of difference and I haven't dyno'd yet. I know A8s might get more benefit with adjusting shift points. Since you're an '18, you'll need the OBD2 bypass as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am running a Trinity 2 with new pcm. It's on a 2019 SXT , so your gains may be different on a 392. That being said, I saw very little difference with the canned tune... BUT when I had Sean over at HemiFever do a 91 octane tune and the trans tune (A8) the difference was night and day. I have no had a dyno done, but I can say my car drives like a whole nother animal now !!. dropped my 0-60 from 6.1 stock to 5.4. mod list below ( Fair warning, my gas mileage did take a hit , especially if I drive it hard)

2019 Challenger SXT Blacktop Edition
Diablo Trinity 2 W/HemiFever 91 octane tune & trans tune. Custom cold air intake with Hellcat air box and headlight inlet tube. Merrick Motorsports Headlight Intake Rings .Flowmaster 40's with reso delete and tuned Helmholtz chambers. Barton shifter A-8 (cosmetic only) . Tazer. Cervinis Hellcat hood. ( Making room for that Sps Sprintex supercharger in June 2020 )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome man! Thanks for the info. Check out 86face on Instagram, he has a sxt w a ripp supercharger w stock internals, built trans and crazy weight reduction. He's keeping up w hellcats. He has a YouTube channel also.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
someone suggested hp tuner, what would be the benefits or disadvantage compared to the diablo. What all can be accessed from either? The car will go onto the dyno when its all done. Just would like to be able to change the cam or engine and keep one pcm. Which is easiest to load tunes into or transfer without issues/headaches?

·
Registered
34 Posts
someone suggested hp tuner, what would be the benefits or disadvantage compared to the diablo. What all can be accessed from either? The car will go onto the dyno when its all done. Just would like to be able to change the cam or engine and keep one pcm. Which is easiest to load tunes into or transfer without issues/headaches?
Diablo is good for storing and loading different tunes on the fly, but your tuning options are limited if you wanna tune yourself. If you're getting custom tunes from a pro shop, you'll be fine. HP has more capabilities to the end user vice a Diablosport CMR dealer but at that point, it's just preference.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks boatsnhoses i think you narrowed it down then.
Let me make sure ive got it though.
So basically the diablo is almost for bolt ons and the HP will give me more options/useability for serious changes when i want to. Correct?
How hard is it to make the changes to the tune with HP? Can i make them from a laptop or does it need to go on the dyno each time?
Price looks to be the same for either pcm so i see no difference there. Just want to be able to make serious changes later with an engine swap without having to buy a different pcm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks boatsnhoses i think you narrowed it down then.
Let me make sure ive got it though.
So basically the diablo is almost for bolt ons and the HP will give me more options/useability for serious changes when i want to. Correct?
How hard is it to make the changes to the tune with HP? Can i make them from a laptop or does it need to go on the dyno each time?
Price looks to be the same for either pcm so i see no difference there. Just want to be able to make serious changes later with an engine swap without having to buy a different pcm.
I couldn't tell you personally. You can download a "sample" of HPs tuning software you get when you buy their stuff and play around with it or ask your tuner. I don't have the time or knowledge to tune myself, which is why I went with DS. My local shop uses it, as well as some of the big guys like HHP and MMX. You won't have to get a different PCM unless you swap tuning suites altogether though. If you go with a different engine, you'll likely need the matching PCM for that though. Like if you were to drop a Hellcat crate in it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, not dropping a hc engine. Ive got a 2011 sxt that i all ready put a 2015 5.7 rt/6spd in and have the future engine which will go into the car around fall,( i hope). Its an old school 440. I want to keep the current electronics and run them on the 440. Hence the questions about tuning.
I could run holley or mega squirt but then everything wont talk to each other. Can bus pain. That would intern flip on the xmas tree cluster. Not what im after.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is an older thread, but an excellent description of how HP Tuners is used. Good pictures and descriptions. It has helped me dip my toe in using the software.

One note on HP that I don't think was mentioned: You have to have a laptop to scan, record logs and update the PCM. There is no device like the Trinity for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts