Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck with tuners that plug into the obd port there are quite an assortment that I saw on line but do they actually work thanks in advace for your replies

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
I've yet to see anyone use one here. Most don't say what they do, and have no choices, you just get their "improvements" (if any). And some are "one size fits all" , saying they work on any model, which should throw a red flag.

I wouldn't touch one with your ten foot pole personally

A Guy

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
wont work on any charger/challenger 2015 & newer due to the locked PCM, as far as I know.

we had a 'bullydog' on my previous 2012 Ram, that version had 3 settings: Perf, Eco & Tow and each actually did work. The issue was you didnt know what exactly it did in each settings (i suspect it may have been mostly trans & shiftpoints) and the difference was small, but notable.
At the time (2011'sh) there wasnt much out there for that application and serious tuning of domestic trucks was almost non existant.
There are certainly far better, serious perf options today by guys who really know & have refined the details of both gain & system safety.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,205 Posts
A Guy said:
I've yet to see anyone use one here. Most don't say what they do, and have no choices, you just get their "improvements" (if any). And some are "one size fits all" , saying they work on any model, which should throw a red flag.

I wouldn't touch one with your ten foot pole personally

A Guy
Now that's funny right there. My Diablo Sport Trinity works just fine...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
As far as I am aware, he's not talking about a tuner. He's talking about a sealed device that just plugs in and does "something". If he means all tuners, then of course there are legit products

A Guy

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
As far as I am aware, he's not talking about a tuner. He's talking about a sealed device that just plugs in and does "something". If he means all tuners, then of course there are legit products

A Guy
I've got it now, you mean like my Z Automotive Burnbox or a Tazer...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,861 Posts
They do...I am making assumptions he means the obd2 performance chip devices. Just ignore me...

A Guy

·
Registered
425 Posts
Also consider MY18+ Challengers have a gateway module (firewall) between the OBD port and the CAN C powertrain bus.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks To all you guys I was unaware of the port on the firewall and if it s to good to be true it usually i google more hp from 5.7 and that popped up they average in price from $30 to $400

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,206 Posts
On a side note, there are OBD interfaces/software like AlfaOBD that can change some setting without the PCM being unlocked, that is because it does not attempt to make changes to the PCM just other modules like BCM. Sort of like a Tazer but more complicated to use.

However, I am not 100% sure if a bypass is need for 2018 models. Probably does since the Tazer needs one as well.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks chally I met a challenger owner in my town that used one of these type units and like an idiot I didn’t write it down and haven’t seen him since

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,206 Posts
I did not know about this software either until a member here mentioned it in a post. Apparently it is a big hit with the RAM folk. Although don't go making changes without saving a read of the factory set-up. You can muck things up if you are not careful. I have been trying to map the changes Tazer applies for certain features but just have not had the time to mess with it more.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,202 Posts
They do nothing other than make your car heavier and your wallet lighter. (well they draw a bit of power to make the fake light flashy thingy work)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,206 Posts
Yeah, unless you get a tuner that actually flashes the PCM I don't see how the engine could make more power? There are things that can be done (but not through the OBD) to trick the engine from pulling timing like intercepting the IAT sensor output so the engine thinks the air charge is colder than it is so engine runs more timing than it should, but then the knock sensors will most liking pick up pings and retard timing. If the knock is persistent then it becomes learned by the PCM which permanent pulls timing so such trickier becomes eventually useless.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I did not know about this software either until a member here mentioned it in a post. Apparently it is a big hit with the RAM folk. Although don't go making changes without saving a read of the factory set-up. You can muck things up if you are not careful. I have been trying to map the changes Tazer applies for certain features but just have not had the time to mess with it more.
It may be Superchips, which is what I have for my Ram...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much did you gain with the superchips gila hemi

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,206 Posts
Superchips claimed 25HP with their +91 octane tune. Would like to get a read of that tune and compare it with Diablo's...bet the will be pretty much the same...reduced knock sensor sensitivity, tip-in retard removed...yada yada.

BTW if anyone is interested I can post a stock 5.7 M6 tune and a Diablo Sport 93 octane tune on the same vehicle so you can do a comparison using HP tuners yourself. Their VCM software is free to download and I am pretty sure you can open the files without having an interface synced to it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Are you looking to tune the 2014 that’s listed in your signature? If so, a Diablosport tuner will work well, and will also allow for companies like Jay Greene (for example) to write custom PCM tunes tailored to your car and its mods. A 2014 does not require a cracked PCM or anything else special for tuning. 2015 cars need a cracked PCM, and 2018+ cars need the double bypass as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts