Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger Classic Rt 6sp
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm located in Pennsylvania. I don't run the car in bad weather. I'm running 5w20 during the winter/cold months and use 5w30 in the summer months. Anyone have input with running 0w40 and what brand ? I have a 2010 RT Classic 6 speed non MDS. 19k on it. Any input would be great !

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
5-20 is too thin for any environment. I use Amsoil 0-30 in both 5.7’s. Years of purring trouble free service. Quiet. No Hemi tap. The Zero helps pumpability on cold starts and the 30 keeps them cool in hot conditions. I use the 0-30 on the M6 and the MDS.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
We had a member here with an M6 a few years back with the HEMI tick and she said she was told by FCA to run the 0W-40 to try and quiet the tick (it didn't).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
288 Posts
I would think that the recommended oil viscosity is based on the tolerances that are designed into the engine, so I would probably use what’s in the owners manual based on climate. An engine that has 100K+ miles might benefit from a bit thicker oil as material has worn somewhat. I have a Honda 3.5 V-6 that has been on 5w-20 for 150K miles and it goes about 7,000 miles between oil changes without needing to top it off if I fill it to the top mark initially. That’s what it was designed to run on based on how it was built.

So, if the engine requires say 5w-30 and you use 0w-40, the oil will be too thin during cold start and then too thick once at operating temperatures. Not sure why you would want to do that.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
873 Posts
I'm located in Pennsylvania. I don't run the car in bad weather. I'm running 5w20 during the winter/cold months and use 5w30 in the summer months. Anyone have input with running 0w40 and what brand ? I have a 2010 RT Classic 6 speed non MDS. 19k on it. Any input would be great !

Welcome to the forum in case I missed welcoming you when you joined. I'm glad to live in Florida where I get to use my Challenger year round.

I figure that the Dodge engineers are a lot smarter than I am. So, if they say to use 5W-20 in the 345ci/5.7L engine, then that's good enough for me.

I don't know about the 2010s, but I've read that using the wrong viscosity oil can actually throw a code. The things you learn on this forum. Good info for sure. You're WAY beyond having to worry about a warranty, but it's still something to consider.

As for brand ... I think 2010 was the year Dodge switched from Mobil1 to Pennzoil. Can't swear to that. Might have been 2011. I've been very happy with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my '15 SRT 392. And I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in our '17 Durango R/T 345.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts
Yep, oil engineers are paid to formulate, and the factory states what spec and w to use in a specific engine.

I stick with these specs and use the brand that I like at the time.

In my previous 5.7, I used Castrol Syntec with no issues.

In my present SP, I'm using the Pennz 0-40 Ultra. No issues.

Also using the Ultra in the correct weight, in my '96 Ranger and '09 Lincoln. No issues.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Dodge engineers don’t call the shots. The tree huggers do. If 5-20 gets a fraction of a fraction of a tenth better mileage that’s what they recommend. I wouldn’t put anything except 0-30 in the 5.7 of any persuasion.

·
Banned
295 Posts
I started this thread today...

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
288 Posts
Our engines typically run at 205-210F as controlled by the radiator. The outside climate doesn’t really matter unless somehow exceeding the capacity of the radiator to cool the engine. Maybe if someone is tracking their car and constantly running at 230F+, a higher viscosity might be needed. Otherwise, running a higher viscosity oil at normal operating temperatures results in higher internal drag, so lower HP and lower mpg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts