Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I had a thread where we were discussing bad fuel and knock, someone brought this up and said that it helped reduce the knock he was seeing. For the past couple of months I have been testing out different fuel additives to see what difference they made. This is what I have tried so far.

Techron Concentrate: Fuel system cleaner, after a full tank there was a noticable increase in response, power and a smoother idle. This lead me to believe that I had some carbon build up or possibly sludge from poor fuel. (all fuel in DFW is poor)

Redline SI-1: Supposed to be a more powerful fuel system cleaner with an upper cylinder lube, I ran this two tanks after the Techron and while it was in my tank I saw absolutely 0 knock. This made me wonder if I just needed an upper cylinder lube since I have had a catch can installed since 500 miles. Car still ran very strong.

Marvel Mystery Oil: Mostly an upper cylinder lube but claims to be a mild cleaner also. Car still runs very strong but at WOT I am getting as much knock as I used to.

If you have poor gas in your area or cant get rid of knock I would give each one a try.

·
Registered
675 Posts
As DTru said, I used the Techron fuel system cleaner with a full tank and felt the difference. This treatment is best used when you are running the tank out over period of time, as opposed to a trip that uses the entire tank. It gives the cleansers time to work in place within the system when the engine is not working. I highly recommend it every six months.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
As DTru said, I used the Techron fuel system cleaner with a full tank and felt the difference. This treatment is best used when you are running the tank out over period of time, as opposed to a trip that uses the entire tank. It gives the cleansers time to work in place within the system when the engine is not working. I highly recommend it every six months.
Are you guys talking about this?
ImageUploadedByAG Free1390324486.931064.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
No, the Chevron version is weaker. The Techron Concentrate is different.

Just my opinion, but I believe the Redline SI-1 works better. It has more of the main ingredient PEA and also has a UCL. Out of the three I have tried I would recommend it.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the Chevron version is weaker. The Techron Concentrate is different.

Just my opinion, but I believe the Redline SI-1 works better. It has more of the main ingredient PEA and also has a UCL. Out of the three I have tried I would recommend it.
Techron & SI-1 are both great products. I remember when I used it in my '95 Impala SS, my tech told me with the SI-1, don't use too much...or too often, because it could damage the "fuel sock" inside the tank. Don't know if this would apply to our 392's.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Techron & SI-1 are both great products. I remember when I used it in my '95 Impala SS, my tech told me with the SI-1, don't use too much...or too often, because it could damage the "fuel sock" inside the tank. Don't know if this would apply to our 392's.
I agree, both made a noticeable difference.

Seeing that 95 was nearly 20 years ago :icon_eek: (feels like yesterday) I wonder if its still too strong for these systems. Over on BITOG forums people are saying they run small amounts in each tank. I havent searched enough to see if anyone was having fuel line problems.

I thought it may be the lubricants in the Redline that were keeping the knocks away but the MMO has not replicated the results.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, both made a noticeable difference.

Seeing that 95 was nearly 20 years ago :icon_eek: (feels like yesterday) I wonder if its still too strong for these systems. Over on BITOG forums people are saying they run small amounts in each tank. I havent searched enough to see if anyone was having fuel line problems.

I thought it may be the lubricants in the Redline that were keeping the knocks away but the MMO has not replicated the results.
I'm like a dog...a few minutes...a day....year...don't realize the difference....seems like just a few months ago I purchased my new SS! :domotwak: If you use it per the intructions...think it's 2oz. per fill-up...& a full bottle every 3k miles, you should be fine.
I had engine knock in my SS all the time when accelerating. I tried everything...including new knock sensors....knock module....checked timing...higher than required octane fuel....nothing ever stopped it.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
I'm a believer in Techron concentrate. My ford ranger was parked for almost 3.years without being ran. Once I got it running, it was down on power and MPG. Thought I needed to replace some fuel.injectors, but my mechanic recommended I run the Techron through a full tank. It worked and I'm convinced. Now I run Chevron Techron in both the beater ranger and the HEMI.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Techron makes both fuel injector cleaner and fuel SYSTEM cleaner. I was advised to use the system cleaner. worked great.
Yes, The Fuel System Cleaner is just a concentrated version of the Fuel Injector Cleaner (Pro-Guard).

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course you could always use Seafoam.....but first alert the neighbors so they don't call the fire dept for the smoke!:yikes:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts

·
Registered
9,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Question. Since I run a full tank in the course of 4 to 5 weeks, is it advisable to put this stuff in every time I refuel?

Some run small doses every tank. If you are interested in that route then I would suggest you go over to bob is the oil guy forum, there are quite a few people there who do it regularly.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Question. Since I run a full tank in the course of 4 to 5 weeks, is it advisable to put this stuff in every time I refuel?

I wouldn't think that's necessary as long as you're using a top tier gas all the time. I try to do it every oil change (6,000 miles), but sometimes I forget and remember once it starts to stumble at idle. It seems, for whatever reason, the problem with the idle is the plugs.

Had the original plugs until a few months ago, it would stumble during cold start and stumble randomly at idle
Replaced the plugs with OEM NGKs, fired right up and idled fine.
After a few tanks of fuel (maybe 6 max) the stumble started coming back.
Poured a bottle of Techron in and everything cleared right up.

I only run Shell or Chevron gas, gives me the least KR. Now that I'm through the tank of Techron and running the canned 91 DiabloSport tune I get an LT KR of 1 and only during low RPM, high load (Such as acceleration in a higher gear while around town. No KR at WOT.)

I'm thinking of augmenting the every-oil-change Techron by adding a bottle to the tank when I fill up for the track, but I don't see any point to doing it every tank. Since it takes you a similar amount of time to run through a tank (Weeks), the extended soak time of the Techron should result in quite a bit more cleaning compared to someone that burns through a tank every week or less.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I wouldn't think that's necessary as long as you're using a top tier gas all the time. I try to do it every oil change (6,000 miles), but sometimes I forget and remember once it starts to stumble at idle. It seems, for whatever reason, the problem with the idle is the plugs.

Had the original plugs until a few months ago, it would stumble during cold start and stumble randomly at idle

I only run Shell or Chevron gas, gives me the least KR. Now that I'm through the tank of Techron and running the canned 91 DiabloSport tune I get an LT KR of 1 and only during low RPM, high load (Such as acceleration in a higher gear while around town. No KR at WOT.)

I'm thinking of augmenting the every-oil-change Techron by adding a bottle to the tank when I fill up for the track, but I don't see any point to doing it every tank. Since it takes you a similar amount of time to run through a tank (Weeks), the extended soak time of the Techron should result in quite a bit more cleaning compared to someone that burns through a tank every week or less.
I'll put one in before we get on the track on the 2nd.
As far as knock, was talking to Sean (hemi fever) about it and he said basically 1 or 2 is ok.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

I have had the same experience. From the factory the car had to turn over 2 too many times to catch and the idle surged. I have made many mods to mitigate it but changing the plugs fixed it completely... for a while. Not long after switching it started to surge during idle again and felt like it was losing power. The Techron restored it. The concentrate is said to have 100x the amount of techron that they add to the fuel so I see no harm in adding just a little more.

The main ingredient is PEA which to my knowledge hasnt been shown to eat away at your fuel lines (havent really search much). The Redline has a higher concentration of PEA plus the lubricant.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts