Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NC and my local track is Coastal Plains Dragway. I drive a modified 2012 Mustang GT and I'm interested in running a 392.
I don't mind traveling a couple of hours to race, but at sanctioned 1/4 mile tracks only. No street racing for me, thanks :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
529 Posts
You might get more takers if you list your mods
If you were closer I'd run you, although my 6.1 is modded as well

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You might get more takers if you list your mods
If you were closer I'd run you, although my 6.1 is modded as well
I will when I reclaim my computer from my kids. And yeah, not interested in running stock cars. I'll race what ever anyone wants to bring; N/A, FI, I don't care.
I just want to meet other enthusiasts who run their cars and are modding them.

Ok, got my computer back :)

Engine: Steeda CAI, Boss IM, PCV's routed to exhaust, o/r x-pipe, glass-packs to dumps, all 3" pipe. Just put LT headers, and WM injection.
Most important engine mod, tune by my buddy at P51 performance.

Chassis/Suspension: CHE k-member brace, solid engine and transmission mounts, DS loop, axle tube welded, upr axle tube braces, Ford racing rear girdle, bmr rear relocation brackets, l&m adjustable lower control arms, Fayys 2 Watts link, poly bushings on my sway bars, made adjustable drop links, Cobra Jet springs. Newest additions: Strange Adj struts up front, Viking double adj shocks in the rear, Aluminum DS.
Misc: MGW short throw shifter, raptor shift light, WOT box, removed all non-functional "scoops" that came with the car, as well as the rear "spoiler." Made vents for my front brakes, still a work in progress, and finishing my hood heat extraction vent. Aggressive weight loss, and 28x11.5 15 MT e/t street radials, and skinnies up front for racing; these are going to be traded out for 17x11.5 15 QTPs once my suspension starts to get dialed in.
Current best [email protected] with a 1.64 60’ which I am hoping to improve in May J

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You will get called a liar running 11.4s with a bolt on 5.0 on this site.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You will get called a liar running 11.4s with a bolt on 5.0 on this site.
It's the internet, they can call me what they want. I don't take it personally. Plus, that is a great way to sorry out the people I should ignore :)
But, I'll dig up the video and post it, just to silence it before it begins.

Here are a couple of videos of my car in action
in car
The Hunt for 10's Begins Now - YouTube
ext
Elwood_617 goes [email protected] - YouTube
I love the external one because you can hear my son :)

And here is my PB time slip
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1922203_10201431861421303_1762184813_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
What is WM injection?

Just curious. (I was thinking Water/Methylalcohol ...I used to fly a plane that had "AWI," alcohol/water/injection, for high gross weight takeoffs). If this exists for Fords...11 second times make sense.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just curious.
Water/Methanol? I have no idea other than that.

OP beat me to it.I had it on my 280ZX Turbo back in the day. Made a HUGE difference to the turbo car.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I just updated my post.

Water and alcohol, injected into a jet or reciprocating engine causes lower engine temps....and higher horse power. If this dude is running alcohol/water....11 second times are very realistic.

Reactions: Elwood617

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Water and alcohol, injected into a jet or reciprocating engine causes lower engine temps....and higher horse power. If this dude is running alcohol/water....11 second times are very realistic.
That car will run mid 11s without. My mustang ran 11.3 with bolt ons and no meth onshell 93.

Reactions: Elwood617

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't run it with the W/M at the track yet. But, I am hoping to get into the 10's this spring, and W/M is part of the equation :)

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
That's what I heard...

That car will run mid 11s without. My mustang ran 11.3 with bolt ons and no meth onshell 93.
...Mustangs respond to mods much better than Challengers. I still find it hard to believe they can get mid 11's with intake/exhaust mods...but I haven't driven a "Stang" since my 88 GT. If it's true, it probably means that the aftermarket world has not invested the R&D for good quality Challenger Mods. :(

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
...Mustangs respond to mods much better than Challengers. I still find it hard to believe they can get mid 11's with intake/exhaust mods...but I haven't driven a "Stang" since my 88 GT. If it's true, it probably means that the aftermarket world has not invested the R&D for good quality Challenger Mods. :(
The mopar crowd usually has trouble believing, but there are many that run mid 11 s with basic bolt ons. It'sjust a great platform togo fast affordably. That's why I have both, mustang to race, challenger to cruise. Best of both worlds imho.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
That's what I thought...

I haven't run it with the W/M at the track yet. But, I am hoping to get into the 10's this spring, and W/M is part of the equation :)
Was beginning to think you might be a "liar" (because your 11 second time sounded LOW). AWI is some "POTENT" stuff. If I performed an "AWI Takeoff," I had to reduce normal take off power settings by 50%...or I'd damage/blow engines. That stuff would give me more power at 1/2 throttle settings ...than normal full power conditions would. I do not doubt that you may get into the 10's...or lower. But I also think that if you are not careful...you will blow your motor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Mustangs are made to be modded, IMO. I am interested in what you guys are doing to the 392, they seem to be very stout. I can see the lack of after market support being a problem, the price you pay for exclusivity.
Back in the 90's I had a Triumph T595 (motorcycle). It was awesome. Great handling, great looks, sounded amazing! However, there was absolutely no aftermarket for them. Kind sucked when I started taking it racing. The Kawi, Honda, Suzuki guys all had it made with a deep aftermarket.
I think that your situation is pretty similar.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
GOOD Aftermarket upgrades are expensive for Challengers...

The Mustangs are made to be modded, IMO. I am interested in what you guys are doing to the 392, they seem to be very stout. I can see the lack of after market support being a problem, the price you pay for exclusivity.
Back in the 90's I had a Triumph T595 (motorcycle). It was awesome. Great handling, great looks, sounded amazing! However, there was absolutely no aftermarket for them. Kind sucked when I started taking it racing. The Kawi, Honda, Suzuki guys all had it made with a deep aftermarket.
I think that your situation is pretty similar.

Ford has the luxury of selling "many more cars." This means more companies are willing to invest $$$ in R&D. The problem with stock SRT's is the "Hyperteutic Pistons." These pistons have many advantages for "production cars." They are lighter than forged pistons. But because they are so light and tough...the engineers designed the "upper ringland" to be very close to the top of the piston. This is fine in "non boosted applications." But when motors force greater than 8.0 psi ....it cuases the "thin" upper portion of the piston to break...and destroy engines.

If MOPAR guys want to run high boost...they need drop in pistons ($3-4K upgrade). That means when we add a blower, we must spend an extra $3K.

I knew this when I bought the Challenger. It is not a "working mans car" anymore :(. If the working man is serious about speed...than he will buy a Mustang...or better yet...a RICER. Those ricers can easily destroy 5.0's for similar investment. But that takes us back to the original "proposition."

1. What do you want to drive? I bust some serious "stang" balls here...but IF I had the $$$...I'd own a Z28, GT500 and an SRT.
2. We "American Muscle Guys"...should spend less time fighting amongst ourselves...and devote our hatred to the REAL ENEMY...Eurotuners...and RICERS.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ford has the luxury of selling "many more cars." This means more companies are willing to invest $$$ in R&D. The problem with stock SRT's is the "Hyperteutic Pistons." These pistons have many advantages for "production cars." They are lighter than forged pistons. But because they are so light and tough...the engineers designed the "upper ringland" to be very close to the top of the piston. This is fine in "non boosted applications." But when motors force greater than 8.0 psi ....it cuases the "thin" upper portion of the piston to break...and destroy engines.

If MOPAR guys want to run high boost...they need drop in pistons ($3-4K upgrade). That means when we add a blower, we must spend an extra $3K.

I knew this when I bought the Challenger. It is not a "working mans car" anymore :(. If the working man is serious about speed...than he will buy a Mustang...or better yet...a RICER. Those ricers can easily destroy 5.0's for similar investment. But that takes us back to the original "proposition."

1. What do you want to drive? I bust some serious "stang" balls here...but IF I had the $$$...I'd own a Z28, GT500 and an SRT.
2. We "American Muscle Guys"...should spend less time fighting amongst ourselves...and devote our hatred to the REAL ENEMY...Eurotuners...and RICERS.
Holy cow! That is some serious coin for new pistons. The stock Coyote pistons and rods are our weak points. 10 psi/600-650 range is the limit on stock internals and staying remotely reliable.
And yeah, I love fast cars and tinkering with them. Not to worried about things like brand loyalty. My Mustang rocks, but it's taken the new chassis and the Coyote motor the win me over. I was very close to buying a 392. It would have been a travesty of the highest order with my love of ripping things apart though. I like your list but, I'd swap the Z28 for a C6Z06 :)

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
It is some serious coin....

Holy cow! That is some serious coin for new pistons. The stock Coyote pistons and rods are our weak points. 10 psi/600-650 range is the limit on stock internals and staying remotely reliable.
And yeah, I love fast cars and tinkering with them. Not to worried about things like brand loyalty. My Mustang rocks, but it's taken the new chassis and the Coyote motor the win me over. I was very close to buying a 392. It would have been a travesty of the highest order with my love of ripping things apart though. I like your list but, I'd swap the Z28 for a C6Z06 :)

And guys like me (on this site) are willing to do it. Don't get me wrong. If I was only interested in speed...I'd have bought a 5.0 (might get one as a daily driver). But I did drive the Challenger, Stang and Camaro.

Last week I drove my SRT from Virginia Beach...to Washington DC...and back. I would never attempt that in a "Stang or Camaro." No offense. The SRT is the equivalent of a "Grand Tourismo" (Euro term for BIG POWERFUL CRUISER...and Big $$$).

The Challenger is the "real muscle car." The Mustang (thank God...is now a Sports Car for the world market that will BEAT similar prices M4's and Audi's...for far less).

I actually like Mustangs. But the SRT "Offered SO MUCH MORE CAR," than the 5.0. And yes...I can afford to upgrade it. Hopefully, Dodge will keep the 6.4 RT prices down below former "CORE" prices. If they do this...Drag Mustang guys "will Jump Ship."

·
Registered
529 Posts
There are coyote's in our area with bolt on's and weight reduction currently in the 10's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts